REPLACED Loch Drummond v1.01 Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

2. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

The only actual difference between being an amateur an a professional is being paid for it or not. It says nothing about actual skills and knowledge :)

So it's neither positive nor negative thing to call someone an amateur - it's just a fact. I can assure you feels3 was an amateur when working on Croft and Poznan and he was still learning a lot.

As for car undershadows - keep in mind that trackside cameras have LOD multipliers. It's usually overlooked by track makers. Also, I suspect some mechanisms in game engine are not tied correctly to camera field of view. Trackside cameras are often far away and using zoom ( low field of view ). Engine "thinks" we're too far and disables some things, while we actually can see them in first plane.

I spend most of my time in cockpit or sometimes in swingman camera for replays. I rarely use trackside cameras so it didn't bother me, but since Tuttle mentioned it got fixed, then I guess it finally made it to the top of issues list.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2013
  3. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

Silverstone is particularly rough on my system as is this one. Pit lane does seem to be a slowdown point for both tracks but there are other sections also. I used to have everything maxed out except shadows and the AA in-game. I let CCC control that. I've been trying to find a mix and match recently to see what's best to set where and I'm just chasing my tail right now trying to find the magic settings. ( I have environmental and whatever the other setting next to it is off - the main ones people turn off). I'm running the latest AMD Beta drivers. I want to do a full re-install of the OS as it's been well over a year since I have installed it and who knows what junk is lurking in my system. Even though I only use this system for gaming. I have a Mac for the REAL work ;) Hope you guys got a magic applicationX where you can punch in my parts and the app spits out the optimum settings for me :)

4. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

So, me being an amateur here, could ISI just tell the engine to not disable shadows whilst in replay or tv cam mode?

5. tjc

tjc Registered

Another very enlightening post K.

:)

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I think in your case it might be less AI, or less visible AI, which I think it on the right of the gfx options.

7. Tosch

Tosch Registered

All shots are unedited, except for a small adjustment to the cars alpha channel. The price we pay for reflections (fps wise) is very high, so at least I wanna see something! ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Peace!

8. 88mphTim

FYI, if you want to tag someone in a post, so they get notified about it. Do it like this: [MENTION=8287]Racefreak1976[/MENTION];

Useful for me when asking people for more info in tech support, but also if you quote someone else, and have a reply for someone you're not quoting in there. I added that function yesterday.

9. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

you are completely hacking the code out there Tim ;) let me try

[MENTION=236]Tosch[/MENTION]; I got a boner, those are trully photorealistic :)

10. 88mphTim

Wasn't really me, I just clicked install. ;)

11. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

I'll try that and see what happens. That should only affect performance if the amount of AI is actually there though right? In other words if I have visible AI to say 50 but only ever have say 5 AI on the field at a time having it set to 50 wouldn't be any worse than if I set it to 5 right?

12. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

[MENTION=1]Tim Wheatley[/MENTION]; what about hashtags?! #whataboutthehashtagstim #whereisthenewbuild

My feedback about the track. Getting solid fps numbers, no sudden drops in fps. I can report "wet" patches on dry track visible. Tested during noon, sunset and 11 PM. Looks are great however dark-purple edges of the shadows kinda spoils the effect of night driving in pitch black darkness when your headlights are the only source of light. Hopefully it will get fixed in the next build as we heard that number of bugs being fixed in the next one.

Everything set to high, anizo 8x, both reflections set to low, shadow blur on fast, no wind and crowd motion, shadows and special effects both on low (however tested on medium aswell). I also limited fps to 74 fps or so.

E8400 (3,0 Ghz, no overclocking), MSI 260 GTX, 4 gb ddr2.

Track feels and looks very pretty especially during sunset. Getting 50-70 fps all way around the track.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2013
  13. 88mphTim

Yup. But the other way around, visible AI won't completely remove the impact of the number of Ai you have... So perhaps find the max AI number you can run with when all are visible, then reduce the visible amount to where the FPS stays more stable in race start and when AI are in large groups around/near you. Then of course you could have a completely different issue not solved by this at all. ;) But we'll see...

14. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

Ok will do. Just curious did you look at the link with my 3Dmark11 score? Anything stands out in that? I'm wondering if my cpu might be bottlenecking my GPUs as the score seems so drastically different between the two. Any thoughts on that?

EDIT: Oh and the other thing I notice even when my fps are pretty high it still has this stuttery feel to it. Not silky smooth. It reads , say 80FPS, but it looks like I'm getting 24fps.

15. Tuttle

Great. :)

And yes, the purple issue on clipped black was under investigation few weeks ago and I guess it has been fixed. ATM I do not see it anymore on internal builds. ;)

16. tjc

tjc Registered

I like this... a LOT!

I was finding this problem quite a bit on tyres, in cockpits etc, anywhere it was meant to black I think (you may remember I`ve mentioned it a few times :p)

Anyway, glad it seems to be fixed up. :)

17. Tuttle

I don't know if we're talking about the same issue. The issue which seems to be gone is the strong purple artifact above clipped black, mostly present in the cockpit view...I've to check if it's the same bug. :)

18. tjc

tjc Registered

Ahh ok... I`m hoping it`s the same bug.

Myself, and several others, have been experiencing purple artifacts/graphical glitches in black surfaces for sometime now. I know others don`t seem to have this problem and I also know we discussed that it could be down to monitor calibration... (which I`ve now done) and also lowering the Gamma?

Anyway, I hope it is the same thing and that it`s fixed now.

19. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

I also see this in cockpit and the tires in open wheelers. Hope its fixed too :)

20. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

About the track itself, am I the only one who feels like the last turn before the home straight is the one spot where they seem to have broken the flow of the track? That's a good thing though as it would make for some dramatics on the last lap in a close race. I probably should say the 2nd to last turn technically.