REPLACED Loch Drummond v1.01 Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Oct 17, 2013.

1. borimoli

borimoli Registered

Awesome job!!

Really a nice track. Thanks!!

2. Galaga

Galaga Banned

This track is intense with the Howstons and I imagine almost everything else, too. Absolutely wonderful flow. Took me a few hours to find the line in the G6 but now that I found it I like it very much. And the 67 G4 is simply suicide here. I love it. Great job, ISI.

Oh yeah. One thing is puzzling me. I ran this track on my server with medium graphics settings and very smooth FPS. Then I joined another server and I had to drop everything as low as it could go. The only difference I noticed from my server is that there was cloud cover so sun poking through but other than that nothing different. At one point the admin mentioned needing to restart the server but I was never able to confirm whether it was because others were experiencing what I was experiencing. And it was not like lag at all but exactly like a heavy track (i.e. same corners cause drop in FPS every lap, etc.) but on my server was "lighter"? Doesn't seem to make sense. :confused:

3. Will91EST

Will91EST Registered

May the glory days return. :D Nice @ GRC, greets from CEL @ Aegna.

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

thanks Alex, delighted to see you doing rf2 tracks....what about Reiza? still with them too?
    didn't realise this was the Livett last night, if I'd known I would've stayed up later and raced it then :D

5. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

This was just a one of side project. I'm just happy to see everyone is enjoying the layout and it's getting more exposure than it did originally in rFactor :)

And how did you not recognize it? How many laps did we do at this place at GRC? pffff :p

6. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

I guess this track is pretty tough on cars. lol

7. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

That's good to hear. I hope it's based on ignoring darker parts of screen rather than just simply re-scaling exposure "when in cockpit".

By the way - check your shadow settings. On this screen road underneath the white line obviously has shadow, but line seems blended over that shadowed area without having it's own brightness modulated by shadow. First thing I've noticed when I looked at this screen - it just stands out :)

Overall track looks good. The only thing that I would still like to see improved is terrain. This screenshot reveals some possible improvements:
    - less regular edge between road and grass ( there's a thin, straight line of sand around edge of curb - being so regular it looks a bit artificial )
    - more variety in terrain texturing further away from track. Despite all those objects and details, track may still look a bit empty if you see one, monotonous texture used over large area. Of course grass textures need to be a bit monotonous, so we don't see those annoying repeating patterns. Some other way of increasing terrain variety is needed. Perhaps more pronounced vertex paint further away from track would suffice? Add a few service roads, more rough grass and perhaps it will do.
    - ambient occlusion - without it, trees are missing some connection to terrain. Of course this depends on AO map support in engine itself.

I will test it in the evening, but it looks like fun :) Thanks and keep it up :)

EDIT:
    Oh, and perhaps one more notice about that second screenshot - it may look more natural if trees of the same type are more grouped than spread out. Unless they were planted by someone at such locations deliberately, they would rather grow closer to each other.

8. Alesi

Alesi Registered

Overall track looks pretty good.
    Why ISI makes a lot of unknown (or some known) tracks?
    For now we have only 2 F1 tracks from ISI - Malaysia and Silverstone!! what about others F1 tracks??????????

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

haha true, should've recognised it straight away!

10. BanjoMaster

BanjoMaster Registered

If I may add to the terrain comments from a native Scottish perspective, it's a bit too green and well-kept from veiwing the screenshots to be honest. It looks good, but not particularly Scottish? If you ever redo the textures, I'd suggest a few differing shades of greens/yellows/browns in the grass and vegetation testures (especially on the higher or hilled areas where it will get blasted by the elements there), and a few more areas that are a bit more unkempt and unlandscaped? Less paved access roads and more dirt roads as well.

Aerial shot of Knockhill for some colour reference:

http://www.scotland-postcards.com/knockhill_racing_circuit_img_0126.JPG

My 2c anyway :)

11. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Lovely postcard :)

I don't know if Alex will spend much time on this project in future, but the three things I've described are common on many other tracks as well, so I'm hoping it will be an useful feedback. Maybe not for this tracks but for other tracks coming in future. You don't get that sense of artificial terrain when driving on Spa by ISI. There's lots of variety near road and enough variety further back. All combines well with plenty of objects placed here and there.
    Not many people driving on Spa probably think about the environment and how much work it required :)

That error with white line is probably because Alex is still learning about new rF2 engine. In rF1 shadows were added on top of polygons, so you wouldn't want your blended lines to be shadow receivers, because you would end up having "double shadow" there. In rF2, shadows are applied to lighting equations in shaders and therefore you should set both road and blended line as shadow receiver, so they can be both lit correctly. Perhaps old habits won and Alex forgot that :)

12. Tosch

Tosch Registered

The billboard trees look really strange sometimes. Here is a screen where the light comes from the left and the right side of the trees is illuminated. The lighting looks inverted.
    [​IMG]

I had the same problem with the Essington trees. My solution was to give the billboards a artificial 3d shape by superimpose the normal map of a sphere over a fine detail normal map. The downside is you can't rotate the texture on the billboard anymore.

[​IMG]

13. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

Not when systems are brought to their knees actually trying to race with those settings...

14. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Guess what I'm going to do for the weekend. Thanks ISI (which incl. Tim I guess ;)) :D

15. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Did he dieded??

thx for another great track ISI :)

16. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Well if you read the profile, the track is apparently based on the body of an ancient giant, so I'm not sure how accurate it needs to be after that one. ;)

17. 88mphTim

He certainly failed the seatbelt test.

18. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Holy moly, ISI! This track certainly is a challenge. Out of maybe 15 laps, I had two where I did not end up on the green. (Which is bad, since this is not a golfing sim)
    Knockhill would be a nice to have track as well. :cool:

19. Zenon

Zenon Registered

I like the layout and the track in itself, but the textures are traditionally hideous - [​IMG]

this is the leading sim, AD 2013. All gfx setting to the full.
    Oh wait, I guess the date must be wrong - you sure it's not 2003?
    The AI cars are floating over the surface and cast no shadows, which adds to an incredibly realistic and immersive driving experience. Oh, yeah.

I am sorry, but the ISI graphics people do need to take a few lessons from feels3 on how to make a good looking track surface, not to mention the grass and the sides of the track. I know Alex Sawczuk had a finger in the pie, but this track is nowhere near his excellent Game Stock Car 2013 creations - sorry.

20. 88mphTim

Your system doesn't seem to be showing you what my system is showing me. I agree that doesn't look like it should, because it doesn't look how it can. You don't even have shadows under your cars... Full settings? Don't think so...