[WIP] Live Timing, Session Results, Track Rendering & League Management [Discontinued]

Discussion in 'Other' started by B1K3R, Apr 16, 2013.

1. aerobaticrug

aerobaticrug Registered

ERM, I thought I was the best! :) :)

Sent from my Nexus 6

2. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

Thats why I told him "you're one of the best testers" since there are others, you one of them of course :p

3. aerobaticrug

aerobaticrug Registered

Haha!

Sent from my Nexus 6

4. rsgraham59

rsgraham59 Registered

Sounds like a good plan :)
    We'll arrange a time when you have it ready.

5. thuro76

thuro76 Registered

Also we would like to install it and try it but unfortunately nothing to do

6. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

If you want give me RDP or Teamview access to your server and I can check what the problem is :)

7. thuro76

thuro76 Registered

there is no problem so I look at what was wrong, but I wanted to know if the database had to be necessarily the server or you could use the site

Sent private message data for access

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2015
  8. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

Yes, the database is a must. What would you like me to check for you?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

9. thuro76

thuro76 Registered

for now I only understand to make it work

10. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

OK, I'll install everything for you tonight then.

Cheers

11. thuro76

thuro76 Registered

ok for tonight I can confirm the presence of the other guy, we feel tonight
    thanks again

12. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

Hi Noel,

Finally I found some time to experiment with this and surprisingly it worked! I managed to get the server/mod info, download the mod file and then generate the manifest file and finally....also install the mod automatically.

Will try to implement this in the match maker website I did, but at this stage not yet 100% how it will all work. I think the plan is to have the user download a client app which runs as an app in windows taskbar.....this app will listen to a socket connection on a specific port...then from the web I will open a web socket and communicate with the desktop app which will do all the work...

Lets see, it might work, but I've seen many servers with missing mod package names, download links etc so I am not expecting this to always work 100% unless these guys that host the mods do it properly.

13. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Live Timing, Session Results, Track Rendering & League Management

That is how I did it. I wrote a windows service that is a very basic HTTP server that listens on 127.0.0.1 and then the website can query this webserver to get an inventory of installed sigs and instruct it to install a sig by passing it the GetMod URL. It also had a way to query the download progress so the website could have a progress bar too.

But yeah this will still rely on server admins making use of GetMod.

The one missing part is we need a way to join from the command line. Even if it's just a command line option on the launcher which can still validate your license before calling rfactor2.exe.

14. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

Exactly! Though I think the users would prefer a windows app running in the task bar. As for example, the modmgr takes as params the rfactor2 install, the packages folder etc....so if its a windows service these can only be set through an INI file (nothing wrong with this really) while if its a little desktop app the user can choose where to install the stuff visually.

Did not know you did it through the web..I thought you did it for that Server List program you are doing.

15. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I took the idea from iRacing. Theirs runs as a service too. But they also have a more controlled environment where you don't have 5 different installs all over your disk. So yeah having a GUI is probably the way to go.

I only made the backend for a web server. I had a very basic web page for testing but that is it. As I've said before, I suck at web dev. Hahaha. So it ended there.

16. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

Yeah, iRacing is a windows service which in a way I like as the user does not need to mess around etc...but rF2 is not in a controlled environment unfortunately...

Since many do not include download links etc and mods are all over the place, I will toy around with having an online repository where everything is uploaded there, and labeled with the right mod name, version, dates, etc etc...so then users will always find the mod to download..which will go hand in hand with the online web match maker...

Downside of this:

1. I required lots of hard disk space + bandwidth
    2. Modders/creators have to upload the content they create

Lets see...

17. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Live Timing, Session Results, Track Rendering & League Management

My database has tons of URLs to a lot of main stream components. But I never wanted to share people's private URLs. A lot of leagues have their own web hosts that they don't want to share with others. But I thought about adding another column to the table called public. Then when someone registers a component in my database they can also make it public if they want. Then it could be thrown into a generic pool for that sig. So then if an admin fails to add a GetMod URL it could fall back to a generic URL which would query the public pool for that sig.

ISI should do this IMO. So much of the mess with joining servers could be improved without too much work. My GetMod database is something ISI should be doing. It consumes very little resources on my server. All it does is a 302 redirect. ISI could also have a default GetMod URL that points to their own database of components that are flagged as public.

18. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

Yes exactly...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

19. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

Noel, the experiment is going extremely well...

But now that I downloaded the mod and opened the mlt file I get this for example (only parts of the file are shown):

The first component I do not have but the second I do have it installed.

1. How can I tell from this if I have it installed or not? Guess I need to check somewhere else???
    2. As you can see URL for first component is missing, that means I cannot install this mod unless I'll check in my "repository" (which does not exist yet of course)

Thanks!

20. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

You just have to recursively scan the Installed folder for *.mft and parse all of them to build a list of sigs. You don't need to know the name or version of a component. The key is the sig.