"Live timing" like iRacing's tab key/How to improve times?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cubbi, Jul 17, 2013.

1. cubbi

cubbi Registered

Is there a way (vanilla or mod) to display a "live timing bar" as in iRacing which shows how much you are faster or slower than your last/best lap in realtime?

Here is what I mean:

It helped me greatly to improve my lap times in iRacing since you get instant feedback when you try out something new.

Is there anything similar in rF2 that compares your lap in realtime or are there only (probably more realistic) split times?

If it's the latter: What is a good way to improve your lap times and find out which driving line/breaking points etc. are beneficial?

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I haven't seen anything currently.

3. Livebrain

Livebrain Registered

that is a must have thinh in the rfactor world :D

4. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Have u tried trackmap plugin?

5. Mulero

Mulero Registered

Delta-Time would have to be a feature of the game. Taking the ghost should not be very complicated to add.

Please add Delta-Time ISI.

6. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Why not simply use ghost set as best lap?

Seems to me it would do exactly what you are looking for.

Even better, you will see it visually, instead of by numbers.

You try a setup, run X numbers of laps with it, try to see what best lap you can achieve, then try some other settings, and try to beat the ghost with that setup.

That's what I do.

I first set a best lap ghost with the default setup, then try to improve on it by changing stuff.

Hope it helps you.

7. BlkJello

BlkJello Registered

Also make sure you only change one setup change at a time. Otherwise you get lost on what helped...or what hurt your times. ;)

8. pleclair

pleclair Registered

That's right :)

Also, take time to get used to the default setup of the car you wanna setup.

When I first started, I tried to change some setup options, and could barely notice the difference. (even thought about creating a post about it)

After getting used to rFactor 2, and the default setup of the many cars I use, I now notice the subtle changes some stuff do.

9. pleclair

pleclair Registered

iHUD for the iPhone have this feature by the way...

If you got an iPhone, iHUD isn't bad.

But isn't really useful either... I bought it and every extensions, and I don't use it.

Most of the stuff included is helpful... but not that much live. So Motec is better imo.

The delta time is useful, but not needed when playing with a ghost.

Also, using iHUD on the iPhone makes everything really small, so hard to read, if you want a good amount of info (since you only have 5 screens to setup stuff)...

If you got an iPad, then it's much better (unfortunately, my gf got the iPad, and I don't use it much... only tried it), the larger screen helps a lot using it live while racing.

10. Coanda

Coanda Registered

Not exactly what your after however trackmap plugin offers a range of on screen data goodies + the ATD feature indicates if you are up or down on your Avg lap time.

11. cubbi

cubbi Registered

Thanks! Wasn't even aware of the ghost feature^^

ATD also looks promising - never had that activated before.

Indeed a delta time feature would be nice^^

12. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

Erm, the iRacing feature isn't just numbers, there's dirty-great green/red bar across the top of the screen! You can tab it between a comparison with optimum, best lap or sector times etc. It gives a more accurate comparison at that exact point on the track whereas a ghost in front of you is decelerating into corners before you get there etc. so you have to estimate how you're doing relatively. I also find it rather distracting when it's right in front. But I use it sometimes.

But I've never liked the iRacing bar. It always looks and feels arcade to me as you unconsciously see with your peripheral vision exactly how you're doing from moment to moment e.g. different phases of a corner. Doesn't seem right somehow.

13. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Although I like the iRacing live timing bar and it wouldn't hurt to have it as an option in any racing sim, it was developed as a "poor man's" version of a ghost car. The ghost car we already have in rF2 works well if you turn it on and adjust to your liking.

Hopefully they'll fix the glitch where the ghost car momentarily appears solidly and in a puff of smoke at the start of each new lap in the next build.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2013
  14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

... except that if you're looking for a realistic option, a +/- number on your wheel/dash as used in some real series would do the job. A ghost car is obviously not realistic.

15. datanode

datanode Registered

Totally agree, this is corner by corner analysis without the ghost car in view. I find ghost cars distracting :-( whilst I am glad we have the ghost car feature, I don't understand why we can't, as an option, have live delta to an invisible ghost car... which would have the desired effect (as above)

16. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

I just recently bought a 3 month trail to iR. I LOVE the timing deltas its my favorite thing in iR! LOL I always race my optimal lap and would love for this feature to be in rf2, I also find the ghost car distracting so I don't use it. This has to be an easy mod for someone to make, if I knew how to mod this feature would have been done already!

17. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

What I think will improve is to practice and make mistakes sightings then yes you can improve.
    No plugins or others will help you.
    Rather, it will distract you and make you lose time.

18. MKD

MKD Registered

I love the timing tab in Iracing.. More and more RF2 is a let down... Pcars also has the timing feature.. And NO it is FAR less of a distraction than a "ghost " car popping up in front of you, and blocking apex visions.. Sad RF2 seems mired in mud... The installs and setups are a friggin total fail.. It just appears to me that there are critical areas being cast aside as not important.. But than again i'm just a customer of every racing title since INDYCAR ... so what do I know?

19. coops

coops Banned

sector times,the ghost,knowledge of the track layout and most of all practice will make you faster..... but there are a lot of other useful plugins or programs that can help.

20. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

How to whinge?