List your Top 3 most aniticipated RF2 Features

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarcG, Dec 19, 2011.

1. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

1. Proper rendering for triple screens so that there is no distortion on the sides.

Everyone else has covered everything else :)

2. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Have you ticked the 'multiview' option when you run rF config?
    I have no distortion in rF1, which I assume you are referring to.

3. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

To be honest, I do not remember if I have or not. I have great anticipation of rf2 but I have not had rf1 on my drive for a while. In fact I am scrambling around now to find my installation with all the mods already loaded.

I should probably just wait for rf2 beta but I dont want to!! lol.

Thanks for the tip though.

4. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

That could be a bit tough. Unless they know the exact specs (resolution, screen sizes, relative angles) it's kinda hard to compensate for trying to cram 160-170 degree view into a flat picture. Probably the easiest way would be to render the three views separately with three cameras instead of using one wide angle camera like it's done currently. That'd probably be a performance hit though...

And unless you're using a curved surface, there will always be some distortion.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2012
  5. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

I have just seen another thread done by a guy who uses iracing. I know iracings implementation is excellent - it asks for the monitor sizes, bezel sizes and angle of monitors to render 3 screens.

With some help he says he got rfactor going in a similar way so it looks good. It doesnt look like it takes angle in to account and may default at 45~, mine are closer to 55 degrees with 3x42" screens but I will certainly give it a go. Love to do it in rf2.

From what he says it is catered for in rf1 but it is not as simple to setup, that doesnt worry me as long as the capability is there.

6. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

What do you know, I got it going and it looks pretty darn good. I wish I had known about it when I first got my th2go some time ago.

It could do with some improvement, specifically it would be nicer if it took the monitor angle in to account but I am happy. Wish I had it figured out years ago.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think you'll find it assumes the side monitors are facing you directly, whereas most people place them a bit wider than that. Also most people run higher FOV than is realistic and for whatever reason it's more noticeable in the 'side views' than it is on the forward view (where we all watch high-FOV all the time on tv etc).

8. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

My monitors are facing me directly. They are at ~ 50 degrees so that the side panels are perpendicular to my line of sight when looking at them.

I have a real fov of around 155 degrees. So, if I set my camera to be 55 degrees which is the real fov of one monitor they dont line up. You can see in these two examples.

http://homepage.mac.com/jason.jane/temp/cockpitfov55.jpg
    http://homepage.mac.com/jason.jane/temp/cockpit2fov55.jpg

When I change the fov to 30 the picture lines up properly on the monitors but I am afraid that my fov may be too narrow. The cockpit looks ok but the wheel is huge on the screen. Here are a couple of examples

http://homepage.mac.com/jason.jane/temp/cockpitfov30.jpg
    http://homepage.mac.com/jason.jane/temp/cockpit2fov30.jpg

So, I am not entirely sure what I have got. I have an image that lines up but I have had to tweak the fov to make it so - weather or not the fov I ended up with is correct or not.

9. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Turn 'display wheel' off in the options.
    I run the minimum FOV and adjust the seat from there.
    You can modify the .cam file for a smaller FOV but I'm driving HistoriX 1.9 and with so many cars to drive I haven't bothered.

10. Mr.Ferret

Mr.Ferret Registered

One big hope is that it drives fantastically out of the box. I just fired up LFS for the first time in a year and it felt great, didn't have to play for an hour in the profiler didn't need to play around in the game didn't need to change all my settings from car to car I just jumped in and started driving.

I hope this is the same for rF2. No real feel no adjusting lock for every car just select the car and track and feel glued to the road.

11. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

Yes, I will certainly turn off the wheel. I can only move my position forwards and backwards a certain amount in the cockpit so it doesnt get the size of the car quite right.

That seems to be the only problem with how rfactor does it, the monitor angle is not accounted for so you have to find a fov that lines up the lines on the screen so they are straight. This doesnt seem to coincide with what the real fov should be for 3x42" monitors and consequently I get a huge car interior.

They are so close I have a sneaky suspicion they will have sorted it out in rf2.

12. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

FOV and view adjustments without hacking cam files.. Improved FFB without hacking Realfeel.. Menu system that sorts vehicles and tracks by details.(not confirmed just my wishlist)

13. STRZ

STRZ Registered

+1

I would like to see easy options to create perfect blends between a real rig cockpit and the nose of a virtual car like here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1glO8VGZpvs&feature=related

14. cluj

cluj Registered

For me these two points are fundamental, thanks to your tutorial I managed to have the appropriate view of the game (had not had the opportunity to dare thanks for the tutorial so I take now to do so) but it should be done without modifying the .cam files, in terms of FFB nice graphics that serve as the steering wheel if after CARS does not transmit a good, information in a simulator that is fundamental, every time I start a championship in my community I have to be configured correctly for mod FFB used and I'm too lazy and more now that I have very little time to enjoy the simulators.

I used the google translator for this post because my English is very basic and I wanted to express my best because this is the most important in a game like this, what we see and what makes us feel the wheel.

Happy New Year to all.

Greetings from Spain.

Tony.

15. unrealnoise

unrealnoise Registered

1. improved FFB (with improved physic modell)
    2. real road + dynamic weather
    3. improved graphics (sun glare, HDR, mirage effect, ...)

+1. improved AI

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

rFactor sets FOV vertically. Your screens might cover 155 degrees horizontally but your centre screen is probably closer to 30 degrees vertically, which is why that figure gets it looking close.

I'm assuming rFactor uses the calculated horizontal FOV to offset the side monitor angles when in multi-screen mode, so that if your 30° FOV works out to 45° horizontal (it's not directly related to your screen ratio, but not far off) it will set up the side monitors at 45° either side of centre. In practice you should get pretty close doing what you've done - butting the screens up against each other and having them face you directly. But if the FOV is set wrong they won't line up, as you've described.

17. Syonco

Syonco Registered

1) New and improved FFB
    2) Weather
    3) Physics

18. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

I played with the FOV for the first time since I started playing R Factor last night (4 years later) lol, made an amazing difference, felt more true to what you see in a single seater (me being blessed to have driven one)

I would like to add the following after careful consideration to the list of 'would like to see'

1) a more concrete end to races, by this I mean marshalls waving flags at side of the track and waving you back into the pits. I don't want victory animations as they would be too hard with all the modding that goes on and not fit R Factor. The flag waving would be awesome though.

2) Warm up laps impletemented with greater depth i.e being able to set engine mixture, brake bias etc. with engineer feedback

3) True disregard for safety with the classic venues like 60's Monaco.

I feel 3 will be the only one we will see in game however.

19. kipiaadu

kipiaadu Registered

dynamic weather
    real-time reflections
    animations