Linux / Wine hosting test

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hoover, Aug 31, 2014.

1. hoover

hoover Registered

[​IMG]
    Hi folks,

we're currently testing WINE-based hosting on CentOS Linux, but we need a larger crowd to test if the server holds up beyond 20 drivers or so.

If you have some spare time over the weekend, please try joining the server

ISI Linux please test

Setup:
    Brabham BT20 V1.60
    ISI Brianza

content can be downloaded from within the launcher or here:

http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/rf2dl/

Thanks much to Dave Stanley of NRTServers.com for generously providing a test environment!

Uwe

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2015
  2. hoover

hoover Registered

Added the Meganes, Silverstone and Malaysia to the vmod due to public request ;)

Testing has gone quite well so far, we've had 10 guys on the server without any lag problems. Keep it up ;)

Uwe

3. hoover

hoover Registered

Updated first post with details for this weekend. Please help with testing if you can!

Uwe

4. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

Good news

5. Michael Peters

Michael Peters Registered

Anyone run the actual sim in Wine/Linux yet? Really happy to see some dedication to getting aspects of the simulator working on Linux. Would be awesome to see some support thrown behind at least getting Wine to play nice with the sim, and not just hosting, as well. I've always felt ISI had the "Open Source" mentality, even though the game isn't open source, with their helpful nature towards modding, enhancing, etc. and people have been respectful of the "off limits" parts of the code. I dream of a day when I can ditch Windows totally, and have all of my sims running on an Xubuntu box!

6. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

I had 1/3 the FPS and no FFB.

7. hoover

hoover Registered

I haven't tried the actual 3d part of the sim yet, but being able to host reliably on Linux would be a great step in the right direction.

FFB will be heavily reliant on 3rd party drivers being available for Linux I guess, while I don't see much of an issue with 3d performance (most 3d games tend to gain a couple of fps under wine compared to running under windows, or so folklore has it ;))

Uwe

8. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

I was thinking of installing iRacing Linux and then using that custom Wine to get rFactor 2 working in there with some of the bundled plug-ins.

9. hariseldon

hariseldon Registered

Not so much, more that when the application is rejigged to use OpenGL on linux (native) it tends to be faster vs DirectX in windows. It's of course also relevant that on linux one can further boost things by running a super-stripped down desktop like openbox to make things even faster (less overhead from the OS).

10. JuanPollo

JuanPollo Registered

I can launch games from linux using wine, but I have two problems:

1 I can not install / uninstall from the manager or from the menu; is impossible. I have to copy the structure of the mod from another site and launch the game.

2 can not implement any system "hotlaps" does not work any plugin from wine.

Have you found any solution to this? Thank you very much.

11. hoover

hoover Registered

Hello Juan,

which wine version are you using? I had problems running modmgr on wine 1.6, but it works ok on wine 1.7+ (except for the column sorting in modmgr, but that's a minor issue).

I haven't tried any other plugins, but using Gerald's excellent rf2 live timing plugin works fine in conjunction with his java server and php scripts.

Uwe

12. JuanPollo

JuanPollo Registered

I used version 1.6

Now I tried with v 1.7 and the manager ok

I need to try the plugin live timing

thank you very much

13. hoover

hoover Registered

No problem, glad I could help!

Uwe

14. JuanPollo

JuanPollo Registered

I have problems when running the java. I downloaded and installed the java version for ubuntu, I modify the properties file is pointing to the server where the database and run it from a terminal window.

I start the game but java stops with an error message.

I think I have everything configured correctly, following step by step instructions, but certainly something I'm doing wrong.

15. hoover

hoover Registered

Hi Juan,

I think this may be the wrong thread to ask your question about correctly setting up the livetiming plugin. Have you done a forum search?

All the best, Uwe

16. hoover

hoover Registered

I've got a server up using the IndyCar DW12 @ Sao Paulo named "ISI Linux please test".

it would be great to get a few folks together for putting the server through its paces.

Uwe

17. hoover

hoover Registered

18. hoover

hoover Registered

I just updated the server with the new BT20 @ Monza. Enjoy!

Uwe

19. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

No join button !!!!!!

20. hoover

hoover Registered

Hi folks, I've now updated the local wine installation to v 1.7.40 which sadly broke the Launcher, but the other tools still seem to work.

the "ISI Linux please test" server is up again, feel free to give it a workout over the weekend.

Many thanks to Dave Stanley over at NRTServers.com for providing us with a VM to test rfactor2 hosting in a Unix environment.

Uwe