Lime Rock Park v2.0 Now Available

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Dec 19, 2014.

1. TJones

TJones Registered

Auto exposure fail ?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Ok, make sense, thanks Tuttle (double thanks from France as it's Sunday evening too in Italy, take some well deserved rest instead been here! ;)).

3. speed1

speed1 Banned

I also thought the windshield would sometimes cause that.

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I'm not sure what you mean by uninstalling mods by using a track. Can you help me?

5. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Not realistic, needs more post processing. :p

6. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Yes you told me about the gamma change, I won't deny it.

I didn't understand that it meant this level of over exposure on a new track supposedly designed with this system in mind ( I understood it would affect legacy tracks).

When the new track was released as everybody was raving about how good it looked, it made me doubt if my installation was an exception, I have seen that with build 880 it was working as before.

I understand what an auto exposure is (I am a photographer too), you can have very good systems (matrix metering, or in some cases averaged spot metering), average ones, and bad ones, and good or not, they always can be fooled.

If you are satisfied with the result reached (lightning the cockpit affecting sky colour, and in my case the real road not visible on the track *) I have nothing to say, I congratulate you, it works perfectly as designed.

I'll wait until the design is refined, for me at the moment it is a big step backward.

As a great car mechanic said, a well tuned suspension is better than a tunable suspension.

Cheers and go on with the good work (no irony at all, I understand fully how complex is the lighting system you try to design).

* due to another problem see http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...-Now-Available?p=328660&viewfull=1#post328660

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2014
  7. Redpxl

Redpxl Registered

Frankly seeing these images as proof is simply hilarious, if your eyes see reality like this i suggest to pay a visit to a doctor.
    And you obviously have little knowledge about photography and the limitation compare to human eyes.

8. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Relax there big man, was just having a little fun. I forgot sim racing was such serious biznuss.

9. stonec

stonec Registered

As I showed in my screenshots, nothing has changed in auto-exposure with this new build, just slight change of gamma which makes everything lighter. Making exposure darker needs changing of HDR black point, a parameter which basically tells HDR to ignore n darkest pixels when calculating exposure. Example: blackpoint=10 (automated HDR), blackpoint=20. A higher blackpoint will also make already dark cockpits look further dark, which is a problem. Also a high setting won't work at night, so it's a balancing issue.

10. Lgel

Lgel Registered

In real life if you take a picture of a track from an open wheeler, and let's say that your camera auto exposure system says you need F8 at 1/400s.
    If you seat in a tin top with a very dark interior and take the same picture your camera auto exposure system will still say you need F8 at 1/400s.
    If you seat in a tin top with a very clear interior and take the same picture your camera auto exposure system will still say you need F8 at 1/400s.

That means that cockpit exposure shouldn't affect the lighting of what you see through the wind shield or windows.

If you wanted to take a picture showing the dashboard of a tin top and simultaneously the track through the wind shield, if you expose for the track your dashboard will be almost black. What would a photographer do? Make an average exposure of track and dashboard? No, he would correctly expose for the track, and light the interior of the car with some strobes to allow it to show it's details.

So what does it mean? That you cannot have the same black point for cockpit and for track.

Interior of car and outside of car should have independent but related exposure systems.

But I am a photographer and I do not pretend to teach an experienced video game designer.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2014
  11. mrsmr2

mrsmr2 Registered

Another non fan of the latest build lighting system reporting in.

I always use bumper cam because of the auto exposure issue. I tried LR 2.0 and it looked bland.

Tried Tiger Moth, which I previously thought was a beautiful track - probably the best colour and contrast to my eyes. Again, that looked bland and a bit brighter than it should be.

The main issue to my eyes is that the contrast has been significantly reduced and everything looks flat.

I could well go back to the previous build.

12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I think the shading/lighting looks fantastic, but maybe certain times of night (& some in the day) needs a bit more work

I guess the devs have to set the shaders/lighting for every few minutes of a 24hr period so the software can cycle through it?
    if this is the case maybe not all of the cycles are complete at the point?
    (just me trying to make logic of the situation lol )

13. mrsmr2

mrsmr2 Registered

I'm not sure what time of day mine was set to. It's normally around mid-day for practice.

Will try some other times to see if it gets better (to my eyes/taste).

Didn't help that the game locked up after I tried to see if I could drive under the plane so I didn't bother reloading it, ha.

14. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

+1

Leaving the overall exposure the same and the use of "digital" artificial light in the cockpit is the only solution if we want something functional at the end of the day. Same issue for the outside--do you simulate wearing sun glasses on a bright sunny day, or do we assume no sun glasses (equivalent) and at certain angles and times of day driving would be a blinding, impossible experience? Not very functional unless there is a button map for "Wear Sunglasses" that would compensate. But even then, what would be the point of having the "blinding" option other than for a momentary amusement to ogle the impressive graphics. You couldn't race safely like that.

15. stonec

stonec Registered

Something like that yeah. Problem is HDR doesn't "know" when we are inside cockpit view, HDR is just image post-processing that is applied on everything, so I don't think there's an easy way to relate specific HDR with cockpit view. So adding artificial light to cockpits or tweaking blackpoint further (which complicates night racing) are only solutions I can think of.

16. Lgel

Lgel Registered

May be you could mask the interior parts before applying HDR?
    Cheers.

17. Tosch

Tosch Registered

18. tjc

tjc Registered

Cheers Tosch. :)

19. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

20. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Thanks once more.

P.S. Tried it yesterday, with it the track looks good.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2014