Lighting seems messed up

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RodBarker, Dec 8, 2013.

1. RodBarker

RodBarker Registered

On a sunny clear day It looks the same at 9am as it does at 1pm , most objects in the world cast little or no shadow , it has high reflection on the car but everything else is flat , after 2 of my 3 sims just had updates Ive been flipping from one to the other along with RF2 and the lighting is all wrong which hurts the look of the game giving it a very flat lifeless look , Ive tried a lot of different settings and and it dont look right .

I run really high settings on everything and have a high quality calibrated monitor I dont run HDR , very little difference with shadows set to med or max , I hope lighting is tweaked in the final release or maybe its to big of a performance hit I dont know , all I can say is the other sims look much better and look more lifelike .

2. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Why?

3. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Performance eater maybe?

But OP is right, without HDR there is very little difference between times set.

4. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Yeah, maybe try running on less high settings and turn on HDR. Imo the compromise could well be in favour of HDR because it just adds so much to the game. its like going from 2D to 3D.

Also remember that with this build the old 'max' settings are now the new 'medium' settings so you wont lose much gfx as per previous builds.

5. boxer

boxer Registered

Unfortunately I don't think it's your set up...I see the same... I too wish this got corrected as the graphics are very dull. (NON-HDR).
    HDR has improved from previous versions so give it a try...

Why wouldn't one run HDR? Current HDR has it's own set of problems.... inconsistent exposure is the main problem I see... very unrealistic as your view changes so does the exposure. i.e. (Tones for walls, sky,asphalt... in some cases are all messed up....)
    But at this point this is the only way to get proper looking graphics... I do like the PP being done with the HDR option but I wish we had an option to turn OFF the HDR(auto exposure) portion.

6. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Can you post a screen shot with these messed up tones? Maybe we can find a solution to make it look better.

7. boxer

boxer Registered

I know how HDR works at least in photography... and HDR in rFactor2 is doing exactly what I expected to... (nothing strange with the behavior...) but it just doesn't look natural (which is what I expect to get from most if not all HDR PP software - this is not unique to rFactor2). Pretty images - Yes / realistic NO.
    As the scene changes one notices exposure changes while the lighting remains the same!
    I don't know what the answer is but if the Non-HDR engine was better personally I wouldn't bother with the HDR.
    Anyway I come to accept that's that the way it is and there is nothing I can do about it... while racing one doesn't really pay attention to it anyway.
    Time of day is between 2:00pm to 3:30pm. (I am not using any custom HDR profiles with these) - All default setups.

View attachment 11085
    View attachment 11086

8. RodBarker

RodBarker Registered

Turned HDR on and downloaded some profiles , definitely improved the lighting , without it as flat as a tack .