Lifetime membership

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gjon Camaj, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Numrollen

Numrollen Registered

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

So, what, PhysX has some multicore capability and therefore all physics can be split up at will?

I've no doubt there is some scope for splitting up some calculations, but a lot of the calculations also rely on other ones when it comes to a single body (ie a car). That doesn't change whether it's 2005, 2011, or 2020. If you want PhysX (or, indeed, just the CPU) doing particles here and there, flags blowing in the breeze, etc, sure, throw them on multiple cores because they're independent.

Re: 'better look' in Dx11, I refer you to a post from someone with actual experience:

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...-good-as-C.A.R.S?p=16623&viewfull=1#post16623

You're having a whinge about at least 3 different aspects of the game (Dx, 'few features', and one price) and because I question some of your points I'm either ISI or a fanboy? Good one ;)

3. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

The truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Car has 4 wheels and 4 suspensions - that can be simulated in separate threads. Each tyre is separated to many small sections - that could benefit even more from multiple threads.
    So yes, car physics can be split, even into thousands of parallel tasks but...

...if you reserve 4 CPU cores for physics then you need fifth for the rest. So it would probably only make sense to run physics in 2 threads on quad core CPU's, but in dual core CPU's you should rather keep it in one thread.

As for using GPU for simulating suspension and tyres there's a catch. You need to do physics step by step and with each step CPU must communicate with GPU. Of course communication takes time and in the end it costs more than it's worth.

Unless you have thousands of parallel objects to simulate it may be better to stick to CPU.

Tyres are the only thing that could benefit from GPU processing, because tyre can be split into large number of smaller fragments. But rest assured it isn't as easy as it may seem.
    When calculating single physics step you must calculate everything - tyres, suspension, etc. All of it must work together. So if GPU is busy rendering, then CPU thread responsible for physics will have to wait. Instead of waiting it could simulate those damn tyres itself.

So yes - there are some opportunities to make car physics calculations more parallel, but there aren't that many cores in today's CPU's and trying to use GPU may not be such an obvious advantage as one may think.

GPU physics are much better for cloth, fluids, particles and other stuff that uses simple formulas but in large numbers.

Ok I added my 2 cents, but I'd also like to point out, that topic here is "lifetime membership", not physics and graphics :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2011
  4. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

The physics engine makes hundreds of calculations and has a frequency too, as I recall, and even if you couldn't split up the calculations, (which I'm certain you can, hence threading and other features) you can do alternate processing the same way you can do alternate frame processing with dual GPUs.

5. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Nope.
    You don't need previous animation frame to render next frame, therefore rendering of two frames may overlap in time.
    For physics you need one frame to be completed and it's results become initial state for next frame.

In other words - rendering a frame is actually one-time process, repeated many times while physics is continous process.

6. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Okay, if you overlap it's not gonna work I guess unless you take disassociated pieces of data. Aren't there are plenty of visual effects that depend on the previous frame - blurring, retina burn etc? Hell, it's one of the most common forms of video compression - don't update the bits that don't change between frames. Ever dropped off of the map in an FPS? The image frequently ghosts because parts of the image aren't being updated because they're null space. Maybe I'm misunderstanding how such things are achieved, of course.

I guess switching wouldn't provide much in the way of an increase of speed if any I guess.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2011
  7. PvtStash

PvtStash Registered

I like the sounds of a lifetime sub, can I pass it on as an inheritance to my kids when I kick it? :p Good idea though, count me in.

8. ViPeR_83

ViPeR_83 Registered

I had fun with RF1 over the years on free online servers. Singleplayer races can't keep up with the fun of Online Races. But i don't have the time to join Online races very often. I had a maximum of 6 races last year. Because of this i will never pay every year for an additional online service. And without Multiplayer Races i will not need RF2 at all.

It's not only the price. Honest buyers get less and less for their money. How will it look like in a few years? Do we have to pay for every launch of the game?

Every publisher / developer releases his own distribution plattform and community system.
    Nobody ever ask if the customers realy want to buy this together with the game. Worst example: BF3, Battlelog and Origin - i loved BF but i hate BF3 for origin / battlelog - and i didn't bought it.

If you want to provide an advanced plattform for league races, make it optional for hardcore sim racers, please.
    Just keep the style of the RF1 login system without fees for Basic Customers and sell your online system to league players who find it usefull.

This is realy anoying. I was looking forward to RF2, until i read about online fees...

9. shum94

shum94 Registered

Forget the annual fee, imagine the price 40 $ + 4-5 years = 80 $

This sim deserve way much than less than 50 $ (100 € imo). I wonder with what pc and wheel setup you run rF1 and if you have a car and put gas in it.

Because if you were putting 50 $ (a week or 2) + 400 $ insurrance (by year) for a real car, you would be a lot more comprehensive towards ISI.

A true passionate wouldnt cry like that.

PS : Origin and Steam are something different to the ISI launcher.

10. Davy TASB

Davy TASB Registered

You have 18 months to try and save up 12 dollars or whatever it costs for online play IF you want to use it
    If you don't play single player and only race online 6 times a year, why are you making such a big deal of it.
    Simply don't buy rF2 or go see how much iRacing wants you to pay for the privilege of using their service then you might see that rF2's online fee is cherry bobs.

11. PvtStash

PvtStash Registered

Been re-reading a bit, this world ending thing is a giggle. Check enough " facts " and apparently the world has already ended several times. I guess everything is imaginary now and we aren't really here anymore so anything we pay for is just an illusion.... :p

12. RCRacing

RCRacing Registered

Is it possible to upgrade my subscription to lifetime? I hardly run any of my other sims anymore.Just mainly rF2. Tx
    Randy

13. RCRacing

RCRacing Registered

Is it possible to upgrade my subscription to lifetime? I hardly run any of my other sims anymore.Just mainly rF2. Tx
    Randy

14. coops

coops Banned

cmon your joking $80 life time game no paying for dlc's, its cheaper than most console games. and you wont find a better sim for that price. im a pensioner and not that hard up.

15. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

@RCRacing
    Hi
    Yes is possible

purchase@rfactor.net

Mail with the purchase or figure all information with your request it will tell you the way to follow
    "As far as I know, you can use moneybookers or paypal via credit card. Their websites Please visit and see what options available They Have for credit card purchases. We do not accept credit cards directly. Moneybookers or paypal Only through."

I have to pay moneybooker March and it works well.
    Good luck and good road

16. RCRacing

RCRacing Registered

@Lucky06 Tx for reply :)