LG 34UM95 "instead" of tripples

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Bkim, Jul 6, 2014.

1. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

+1

I have used those settings since early builds, extra advantage I don't mind cartoony :p no HDR.

IE: The lower shadow quality and shadow smoothing does not effect visual quality when running no HDR.

With HDR it does slightly.

2. oHOWEo

oHOWEo Registered

I'll give it a shot, on one card at start of the race (21 ai cars plus me) it sits at 45fps at current highest settings (apart from aa at 2x I think) but as soon as the race gets underway it rises to around 70-75

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

1. Anti Aliasing (Nvidia) - 8xCSAA instead of 4xAA, or if using 8xAA then use 16xCSAA instead. Slightly better performance and image quality. (if using AA from rF2 itself, then I believe Lvl 2 = 4xAA, Lvl 3 = 8xCSAA, Lvl 4 = 8xAA, and Lvl 5 = 16xCSAA, but don't quote me on that!).

2. Shadows - "High" (4/5) - Visually speaking, you will hardly notice a difference between this setting and "Max". I don't notice it, I would need to do side by side comparisons to notice, but you sure do get better framerates (especially overall consistency around the track).

3. Shadow Blur - "Fast" (2/4) - Of course not as nice as "Quality" (lvl 4/4), but it also helps very nice with framerate and is hardly noticeable when you're actually playing (unless you play from an exterior cam eg. chase cam). Oddly enough, Fast (2/4) actually looks slightly better than "Optimized" (3/4) according to previous tests (from a build or 2 back).

4. Anisotropic Filtering - "8x" (6/7) - You almost certainly will not notice a visual quality difference between 8x and 16x (you will with 4x, though), and you also will most likely not get a framerate improvement when lapping on your own, but testing shows good framerate imrpovements when multiple cars are on screen (especially at the start, during the first couple laps, lots of cars on screen at once during a replay, etc.).

These 3 settings are the difference between my framerate dropping and stuttering to as low as 45 fps/eye (total 90 fps - I use Nvidia 3D Vision 2), and having them at 60 fps/eye (total 120 fps). Maybe some rare drops to 58 fps/eye (116 total) or something, but hardly. That's pretty massive for 3 settings that literally make no difference to me, at all. That's while using triple screens w/ multiview.

Those 3 settings literally transform my fps, it feels like a magic "cheat" since they literally do no change the visual quality to me. These tthree settings are "golden" with regards to blasting your framerates up without having any noticeable impact on image quality, thanks to them, I can keep everything else absolutely maxed-out.

If you still want to raise your framerates without lowering any in-game graphics then you have 2 more options (I recommend for everyone to do #5, regardless).

5. Pre-Rendered Frames - "1" - In the Nvidia Control Panel (or Nvidia Inspector, I recommend Inspector since it has more adjustments and settings) select your rF2 profile, then change the setting (don't forget to hit Apply/Save/O.K.). Apart from gained fps in rF2, this will also decrease input lag for most users

If you want more fps still - without lowering in-game settings - then in Nvidia Inspector set the following (I believe you can only adjust two of the following settings if you don't use Nvidia Inspector, however, it may give the same result - fps-wise - but I'm not 100% certain, so I use Nvidia Inspector just to be safe):
    - Texture filtering - Anisotropic filter optimization: ON
    - Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimization: ON
    - Texture filtering - Quality: HIGH PERFORMANCE
    - Texture filtering - Trilinear optimization: ON

These improvements will give you a very, very nice boost in rFactor 2 framerates without hardly affecting the image quality at all.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2014
  4. oHOWEo

oHOWEo Registered

Sorry lol

Thanks for the in depth info :)
    It would be nice for ISI to label the AA modes

5. oHOWEo

oHOWEo Registered

Gave me a nice boost, just the 3 settings.
    from 45 to 58-60 at the start
    from 70 to 88-90 during the race.
    Noting that the previous (40 & 70) was with my card overclocked, the 58-60 & 88-90 is with my card underclocked as low as possible.

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned