Let's talk about what FFB editing is possible in rF2

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Spinelli, May 19, 2014.

1. Golanv

Golanv Registered

I tested Speed1, Paul Loatmans, and my previous FFB setting (which was basically default with 0,03000 STM) in a row, by making 3 x controller.ini and changing them on the track.

Wheel: T500rs with F1 Addon
    Car: 2014 FR 3.5
    Track: Silverstone GT

Speed1.ini:
    60-65-70, 100, 100, 0, 0 TM control panel.
    Good overall forces, I managed with a little effort to drive a better time than with default FFB settings.
    The roadnoise nd bumbs are very prevalent, and slow speed forces are better than default with this car in particular.
    Under braking would be nice to get more feeling from the tires, and rear end during acceleration and braking seemed a tad vague, I still believe its rF2 tires rather than anything else, but if FFB can help with this, I welcome all the help I can get.
    Some fine tuning would be required to perfect this, but I see potential here and its possible that if ISI wont produce the wheel profile with better FFB settings, I'll just make my own.
    (Been using default since its ok, and on some cars even great. Waiting to see what ISI can come up with... I'm lazy, I dont piddle unless it hits me like an obsession.)

PLoatman.ini:
    70-100, 100, 100, 0, 100 TM control panel.
    With 1.2 multiplier, way too weak force, steering is numb and doesnt give information enough in relation to the bumbs and roadnoise, which feel like minor electric shocks rather than a bumbs.
    2.5 multiplier fixed alot of problems concerning force strenght, and realism went up ten fold.
    Still the bumbs were more "shock" like than in Speed1's .ini, but that may be since he has filter at 3 instead of completely off.
    Feedback from the wheel was sharper in some areas, but overall feel was dampened on smooth areas.
    Slow speed forces were there, but mostly it was just more wheelweight, and mid corner even felt little numb, like all the forces werent reaching me.
    Much more clipping as should be expected, so the usable multiplier would be somewhere around 2 I suppose.
    I tried these with 70 and 100% FFB from the driver, and differences were not worth mentioning other than overall force going down.

Both of these did produce more overall force and wheelweight than the default, did either one of them give something ground braking to the experience? No, but speed1 did improve my laptime in Silverstone GT with this car, and thats worth exploring.
    I will test more with different cars and see what I can come up with.

Edit: Tried c6r and indy with Speed1 - steering torque sensitivity 1.0000, STM 0,03000, car ffb multiplier 1.0 and Filter 2.
    Corvette felt good, if filter was 0, it was too hard on the bumbs.
    That was the first time I drove the indycar and it in overall FFB feels really soft in that car, and sooo much grip. After first gear, wheel spin didnt really happen so it felt little like theres a TC on 2nd gear on. This has nothing really to do with the FFB though so...
    Other than that, I dont know what to make of it in FFB wise, it was much more forgiving than anything else in rF2 and it was fun.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2014
  2. speed1

speed1 Banned

Nice to hear that you could improve your driving some. Yes there are still little gaps, due to the FFB controle/ hardware / physics as it seems but the result is in a relatively acceptable range as i think.

Nevertheless i'm still looking at and it looks like as if I have to create a profil for each car, even if the difference is not large and the opportunities limited, it is worth to try. :)

3. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Sweet jesus that car turns in like there is no tomorrow :D

4. Golanv

Golanv Registered

I know you dont try to argue, I find your posts very informative in this thread and truly appreciate you sharing your findings and test results.

I will continue testing your FFB settings later with bigger variation of cars.
    I find alot of similarities with the speed1.ini and your settings feeling wise, biggest difference is that yours have more consistant wheel weight which feels more dampened (2.5 multiplier, I just cant enjoy the 1.2 at all), and bumbs are quite strong with speed1's considering the lower multiplier.
    Thats the problem when making custom FFB settings, what is the real feeling for the car, and what is the "best" feeling for the car.
    Some like realism above all, and some have preferences that does not exist irl, but those preferences may make the FFB more informative and potentially give better feeling of control.

5. W Lukas

W Lukas Registered

Paul, any idea why using your settings with damper set to 100% in Logitech Profiler I cant move the wheel. Well i can but it is just so strong so i can feel and hear the motors inside the wheel. If damperis set to 0 its ok.

g27 user

6. W Lukas

W Lukas Registered

Yep, thank you

7. newtonpg

newtonpg Registered

Since b660 "Steering arm force" (%) was replaced by "Steering Shaft Torque" (N.m)
    TechAde's Telemetry Plugin will refer to it as the old one "Steering arm force" but the column will give you torque values.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2014
  8. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Does anyone know how the ini's in UserData\Controller differ?

Is it just a button mapping change for each wheel or are there some other values 'tweaked'?

9. newtonpg

newtonpg Registered

Didnt made more than a superficial exam... and found some little but fundamental differences, specially under "Steering torque filter" and "Steering resistance type"

Also and maybe more important, my otiginal Logitech G25 .ini archive has 320 lines, while the actual controller.ini has 331 lines!

Anyway, you can read those ini files with a simple text editor.

10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

that's actually a really good idea, with a few inclines declines, a rumble strip and some fine bumps of different

all that falls in line with the standard ISI track settings
    ( also a good ref for track modders etc )

it can be just a really simple visual looking long strip with some left and right bends ( for corner ffb etc ) nothing fancy just functional

11. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

I was thinking figure 8 with 2 lanes?
    rumble strips,black ice,pot holes,off camber,banked etc etc

Anyone know a track maker..........................

rF2 detects my wheel as CSR but I'm thinking more Clubsport as I have Elite.
    Should try 1 v the other really.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2014
  12. alexandr66

alexandr66 Registered

A already read a lot of topics about FFB setings and did some productive changes. One of imporant thins, that i learned - is ffb multi for diff cars...For examle, it is really diff for Darche from URD and Porsche from BES. Think You know this very good. I have Logitech DFGT. Yes, not "pro", but i like it really much for feelings. Maybe, somebody can give me advice about this wheel, FFB settings or something. (maybe especialy for Darche and cool classic cars from 79)

With best wishes

13. I3bullets

I3bullets Registered

Try talking the devs into supporting Blender. 3ds Max is too expensive for me (no student anymore)<-- Fact. Rumor from here on --> And the rF2-plugins don't work with 64bit versions of Max. And 3DSimed is rumored to not support the rF2-engine very well... :(

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2014
  14. MadInt

MadInt Registered

I registered in order to thank @Paul Loatman for his great effort, his settings worked like treat for me. I was experimenting with torque curve by myself a bit too, but never went lower than 0.35 I think. I'm driving Formula ISI (which is very tricky to drive) in online league and these settings really helped me to improve my consistency, car finally starting to make sense now.

15. speed1

speed1 Banned

I like this setup in connection with the FR3.5_2014, almost everything necessary available, at least I think any effect present in RF2.

I'm just not sure about the STM value and what i like more. The current setup is with 0.0 STM in use, but the charecteristic changed massively with the use of a low level value as below

Steering torque minimum="0.00002" // Minimum torque to apply in either direction to overcome steering wheel's 'FFB deadzone' caused by friction

Do not be fooled by the low level number, it has a strong influence, also with the multi-maybe you should try for yourself what you like best.

The optimum range seems between 1.00 to 1.10 - 1.04 seems not bad.

The car is very informative, with this setup and can be controlled very well.

T500RS : 77% - 100% - 100% - 0% - 0%

16. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

0.00002 = 0.002%.....that's 1/50,000th. You can tell the difference between this and 0%? Perhaps it has an effect just activating a little stm but i've never tried it so i can't rule your observation out. Anyone get the same result?

17. speed1

speed1 Banned

Yes but the settings should all be the same otherwise I can not guarantee anything. It is so sensitive from this point that any change has influence. I can immediately increase the frictional resistance by the low level value, perceived as tire contact surface. The little value will increase the low speed feeling as well.

The problem is the T500RS is not well suited for excessive friction because it has its own internal friction, any additional destroyed all the original detail.

Don't be fooled by numbers and hold on to it, it is not always just about theory. :)

Currently tested on Newerburg GP :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  18. nudger1964

nudger1964 Registered

generally pretty happy with my ffb, but with the DW12 it just dosnt seem to react to track bumps and jolts - is there a specific line that would amplify track bumps? I see jolts, but that just seems to be for collisions? Its too placid right now

19. speed1

speed1 Banned

No, unfortunately nothing specific but have not yet tested the vehicle with the most recent settings, maybe it fits well to. I'll see.

20. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Yes of course, hence why i said i can't rule out your observation. :rolleyes:

I'm unable to test myself as i'm abroad and asking if anyone else has made the same observation.