Lets talk about the MERC GT3 FFB?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LokiD, Nov 30, 2017.

1. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

I reiterate "if you are not having this issue with the FFB you have a rig where FFB is fine and don't understand the problem"
    I think you'll find that you're making assumptions here. I know that I am.
    Very nearly correct, I was possibly not quite clear enough with my statement, I should have put more emphasis on the part where I said
    Where the rig part of the statement means PC, pedals, button boxes, motion platforms and other ancillary peripherals (not an oil rig) and the wheels part of the statement means FFB steering wheel (as opposed to wheels in contact with the road or skateboard wheels). Because the system as a whole may react differently (who'd of thought).
    Another possibility may be that if you have a particular setting enabled or set to a particular level it may affect different rigs/wheels differently or trigger a particular reaction from the wheel. (similar to post processing and DX9 material, if you set it at off you don't have a problem but High gives you bloom) I'm not saying that's the case but who knows? Maybe there is some sort of threshold?
    Unfortunately I can only test this on MY rig so I have limited data and I'm just GUESSING.
    Which is why I asked S397 for an answer.
    This is a pretty accurate description of the issue.

2. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

And as I've said before I do feel it in my TS-PC (less so with my former Logitech) but if you guys think it's a bug only affecting some people even if using the same wheel and same settings, I'll leave you to it. I'm unwatching this thread as of now as I actually like how the Merc feels with just a small change in camber and I honestly don't think your perception of what's going on is correct.
    If you decide to buy a second Fanatec wheel and the light FFB is gone I'll happily admit you were right

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    Filip likes this.
  3. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Registered

Yes, that was a good video to watch and I would agree with most of what the creator said as I have all the Sims he was show casing in this video.
    I have found that in PC2 just about every car feels different in the FFB, so I am constantly having to adjust the 'Volume' and 'Tone' FFB seetings per car...easy to do once I mapped them to keys / buttons, as it is only a couple of button pushes to adjust when driving the car.

rFactor 2's Merc GT3 FFB at the 'Default' settings on my TS XW Racer feels off....but I have fine tuned the settings (still not perfect)..and found that using a little bit of brake on corner entry to help pull the Merc into the corner and mid apex exit out use heavy throttle and get 'On Throttle Oversteer'...for my TS XW Racer set up this is a very entertaining drive...settings below driving at 'Silverstone GT Layout'
    1 MERC GT3 SETTINGS FFB.jpg 2 MERC GT3 SETTINGS General v4.jpg 3 MERC GT3 SETTINGS Suspension v4.jpg 4 MERC GT3 SETTINGS Advanced v4.jpg 5 TS XW CONTROLLER SETTINGS 1.jpg

McKiernan, JimmyT and EsxPaul like this.
  4. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

@M D Gourley Is the TS-XW a step up from T300RS? Never saw that wheel where i am (in the shops).

5. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Registered

I had a Logitech G27, then upgraded to the T300RS and this was a massive improvement in every way...the upgrade from the T300RS to the TS XW was only about 25% better but the most improvement is the motor in the TS XW is stronger, with stronger FFB and very good detail, just as good if not better than the T300RS.
    The TS XW does not lose FFB strength in long racing sessions that I noticed with the T300RS...for me personally it is worth it, and it looks cooler...LOL...my Rig below:D
    SIM RIG 2x TSS RACEROOM copy.jpg

Louis, McKiernan, JimmyT and 4 others like this.
  6. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Triple screen pit FTW. :) I would take a photo but its too messy around here atm, lol. Also im getting a new desk and a really nice triple monitor stand, but otherwise its very similar. Even got the red glowing keyboard. :D Gonna look into that wheel. Cheers.

M D Gourley likes this.
  7. Akela_DE

Akela_DE Registered

Arrrrr ... hey, you have only ONE pedalset! And way to few screens :eek::D:p:confused::)

JimmyT and M D Gourley like this.
  8. philmcqueen

philmcqueen Registered

@M D Gourley .This is a "one million dollar baby" sim rig ...Superb !!

M D Gourley likes this.
  9. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Registered

LOL...the other pedal set is still in the box that the TS XW Racer came in...those in my Rig are my much loved ECCI Trackstar 6000 Pedals:cool::D:rolleyes::)

10. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Registered

Thanks...have built it up over 8 years though, when new tech becomes available:)

philmcqueen likes this.
  11. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Why you use so much FFB smoothing and zero min force ?

P.S. thats crazy rig !

M D Gourley likes this.
  12. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

M D Gourley likes this.
  13. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I have the TS-PC which I am assuming is very similar to yours. I run zero smoothing. The more smoothing you use, the less ffb feedback you get. I had to use smoothing with my old Logitech wheel, the wheel would jerk and lurch due to the ffb over-whelming the wheel. But the TS-PC seems to handle that extremely well.

Levelup1 and M D Gourley like this.
  14. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

On my T300 with 0 smooth on the AMG there is a "scrape"/"buzz". Not super much but enough to be irritating. When i put smooth to 1 it goes away. Maybe its the same for him.

M D Gourley likes this.
  15. LokiD

LokiD Registered

same for me Christopher once tole me smoothing at 4 is ok to use and no detail will be lost

M D Gourley likes this.
  16. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Registered

Yes, I have experimented with '0' smoothing but, as 'davehenrie' said 'the wheel would jerk and lurch'...so I have found that '6' for 'FFB Smoothing' on my TS XW is my own personal tastes, and great without much loss of detail and of course 'smoother' and these settings still pack a punch on rF2's laser scanned 'Sebring' (subjective)...besides I want this wheel to last me a while so having to much forces can lead to unnecessary wear and tear and shorter life span...I have had 3 Logitech G27's over 5 years failing on me as I had FFB up to high, stomping on the Pedals etc...lol...so I treat my gear kindly now:D:D

Alex72 and EsxPaul like this.
  17. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Registered

Uh, yes...the 'Min Torque' setting...I will look into that, thanks for the tip:)

Edit: Tried the 2.5 'Min Force'...all it did was increase the micro vibration amount that was already present on my TS XW, I could tell myself that is extra road noise...so for me personally I will set it back to '0' as I still get that micro vibration anyway...just less of it:)...vibration in machinery = eventual damage in the long term:)...thanks for taking the time to respond

18. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

On the min torque i read that on non-DD wheels there is a lag in the initial/low forces and the min torque helps eliminate that. Otherwise you do have a small FFB lag as intial FFB is delivered and you wont feel what the car is doing as good. So the tips was this (by people who had analyzed a lot by measuring everything) that:

Up minimum force a couple of steps, roll out of pits and drive slow/roll and feel if there is any oscillation in the wheel. If not, up another/few steps. When you feel oscillation pull back a step or two. When you have no oscillation and the wheel feels good (tiny shakes might always be there naturally) then you have eliminated the initial lag weaker (non DD) wheels always have and you feel the response from the car much better. Its sort of when you have lag in FPS games and when you pump up performance you become more accurate. This is what i do and its feels really good.

M D Gourley likes this.
  19. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

Almost 2 weeks ago, when i was reading this discussion, i tried the Merc with my Thrustmaster TX at Lime Rock and yes, the FFB wents light as it were on/off when cornering. Then my poor TX died (RIP) and i had to use temporarily my old G27 but sadly i never tried the Merc with that wheel. Today i tried my brand new TS-PC and my god, the FFB in this car was awesome (same track, Lime Rock)!
    Tomorrow i'll do more tests and post more settings, but for now i can say my Thrustmaster settings are, from top to bottom: 75%, 100%, 100%, 0, 0.

M D Gourley likes this.
  20. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Registered

Maybe it’s a wheel thing. I’m not sure. I have a DD wheel and I think it’s more of a physics issue. I can plow the front like no other car turn after turn.

Maybe it’s a degree of rotation issue. I don’t know. Definitely not right though

avenger82 and MrJack like this.