Lets talk about the MERC GT3 FFB?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LokiD, Nov 30, 2017.

1. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Now I can log telemetry again so here is Corvette GT3 on Zandvoort for comparison to the Mercedes:
    MoTeC_Corvette_Zandvoort.PNG

Huge difference during cornering - to the point FFB output was near max and even sometimes clipping.

M D Gourley and EsxPaul like this.
  2. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I've also read it. I believe @Michael Borda and @Marek Lesniak where working on physics since ISI.

3. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Here is comparison on Road Atlanta captured with higher frequency.
    Corvette:
    MoTeC_Corvette_RAt.PNG
    Mercedes:
    MoTeC_AMG_RAt.PNG

FFB was more variable with Mercedes, but clearly on some corners very light force where with Corvette it was often near max.
    But I think the images speak for themselves.

EsxPaul, d0nd33 and M D Gourley like this.
  4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It's interesting how much more noisy the Merc FFB is. It would suggest the forces being generated are lower, but the steering column parameters (in the vehicle chassis files) are set to then bring it up to 'normal' forces.

If possible I'd be interested to see a comparison of a single good test corner, with controlled speed (gear or pit limiter) and digital steering input. You can adjust the steering rate for digital inputs, and it will provide a good side by side comparison with no variation in steering input rate.

5. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

It appears to me that some people are missing the point with this issue. I have driven the car on 2 different rigs and on one the FFB is fine, on the other it's BROKEN. So this tells me that if you are not having an issue with the FFB you have a rig where FFB is fine and don't understand the problem. Conversely if you are feeling like the FFB is being switched off in the corners, you have a rig where FFB is not acceptable (only on this one car) and want an answer as to what might be causing it.
    I point out here that when I drove on different rigs I had them set up one at a time on the same PC (this time around), the only difference, as far as I can tell, was that I selected a controller in the menu suited to the individual wheels. I have removed the controller and player .json files and started from scratch (I only allocated steering, pedals, gears and pit limiter in the menu) with the same results (as far as I can tell). So in summary it would appear that
    1. there is some kind of issue that affects some wheels on some rigs
    2. it's hard to reproduce (or even comprehend) if you don't have the problem to start with
    3. answers may be difficult to come by.
    I have a question though, is the data which is passed to the motec the same data that is passed to the wheel or is it captured at different points (generated differently), or to word it differently is one data and one a signal (they can be different things)? Surely someone can at least answer that.

avenger82 likes this.
  6. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

after the newest cpm patch update the ffb of merc improved a lot

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It's the same data that is passed to the wheel, except that it won't include settings like STS in the game, and it obviously won't include anything in the wheel driver settings that could also influence what you feel physically. Then you have different wheels, and of course they can vary in themselves.

So it's useful, but won't show what you feel. At the same time, if your rig exhibits this issue with the Merc, your controller and driver settings aren't changing from car to car so the FFB output has to be where the issue starts from - whether STS or something else is actually causing the issue later. So comparing the source FFB is enlightening.

JimmyT likes this.
  8. d0nd33

d0nd33 Registered

IIRC the data passed to the wheel has a rate of 400Hz. DAMPlugin logs it at 100Hz when Data Rate is set to 5. I guess 3 values out of 4 are skipped or, in other words, it is not a median value within 0.01s. Can you confirm?
    Moreover, I remember I've made a test with FFB Minimum Torque some time ago and that did show in logged data.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  9. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

I found this an interesting watch. I only drive rf2 so it was informative for me.

rF2 review on this car is at 45.05

M D Gourley likes this.
  10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

To be honest after I posted I realised I'm not even sure if STS is shown or not. Anyway, I think there could be at least some FFB parameters (that affect the physical wheel) that aren't included in the FFB output graph. I might be wrong, which would be cool actually (at least that would eliminate some game settings being faulty).

FFB Output should go to 400Hz from my plugin at full rate. Either way at that point it's not making much difference in terms of this issue.

11. d0nd33

d0nd33 Registered

Yep, my bad, it does record at 400Hz with Data rate = 5.

12. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

I'd argue what you said is actually wrong.

1. there is some kind of issue that affects some wheels on some rigs
    I don't think there's any issue with any wheel but the fact is FFB is translated differently to different wheels and what people look for in FFB is subjective.

2. it's hard to reproduce (or even comprehend) if you don't have the problem to start with
    Users of the same wheel aren't feeling anything differently so it's not that one is having a problem and the other one isn't. The difference is they are either using a less powerful wheel (like a Logitech) in which the effect is less pronounced or whatever wheel they're using they like the effect of it going lighter. But one Fanatec CSW user isn't feeling anything different than another CSW user, while one of them might like the light effect while the other one doesn't.

13. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Not true. At least one other T300 user posted here he doesn’t have such issue. I feel FFB goes light like driving on a grass with medium or higher steering angles.

14. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

So you're telling me it's some kind of issue or bug affecting some wheels and not others regardless if it's the same model? I don't buy it.
    Wheel and in game settings also come in play. Does he really not have the issue or he just likes the way it feels? Or maybe his FFB settings make it feel different than yours. Unless you actually drive his wheel or replicate his settings, you won't know.

Whatever the case, I already suggested how to get rid of it.

Filip and M D Gourley like this.
  15. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I agree this issue is easy detectable but the problem is it apparently happens on some weeks and on some configurations. But there are many issues S397 omitted even with DLC content from top of my head;
    - wrong Lift/Drag ratio in Oreca 07
    - issues with CPM tire model (leading to CPM v2 and few iterations recently )
    - issues with dash in Porsche GT3

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It's really not that clear cut. There was one 'issue' they found with better data, but it wasn't a massive issue. Their refinements are very minor - even their physics guy said of some of them that he couldn't feel any difference.

I'm only pointing this out because people who don't know better will see your post and think there's a real issue with the older tyres, when for normal use the changes are very minor.

17. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Probably right but from the official blog it looked like significant issue was omitted for years until after they got detailed data from manufacturer that confirmed QSA model was wrong at high speed/ loads.

18. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Or we may compare telemetry logs using same weel and basic FFB settings

19. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

My issue with this stuff is the time they take to fix or to just say something is wrong. But not a surprise.... refueling timers are not set correctly and this is part of the car BoP, how this go unoticed by devs and test team is beyond me.
    Inb4 a staff member say "fix it yourself with an upgrade file".

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yeah, no. This is why sometimes they're probably better off not saying anything - misinterpretations can be dangerous.