Leo Bodnar Simsteering sync rotation degrees

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lmp2, Jun 30, 2019.

1. lmp2

lmp2 Registered

Apologies if this is already answered elsewhere.
    There is a multiplying effect between the actual wheel rotation and the RF2 in car wheel rotation which I can't get rid of. i.e. 90 degrees turn of the actual wheel results in 270 degrees of rotation in the sim.
    I'm sure there is a simple setting adjustment for this, I just cannot figure it out.
    Thanks

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Narrowbackwing likes this.
  3. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  4. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

Software Wheel Rotation Explained
    We have added the option to set the maximum rotation of the steering wheel “in software”, so we can adjust the rotation per car even for wheels that don’t support setting the rotation in their driver. This means that current owners of various OSW and SimSteering wheels can now finally enjoy the correct rotation without having to manually set it outside of rFactor 2. The system works as follows: In order to use this new system, you have to explicitly turn it on in your Controller.JSON file (which you can find in your UserData\player folder). The line you’re looking for is called “Steering Wheel Software Rotation,” and if you don’t see it yet, please make sure you have updated to build 1112, run the game once and exit it again. The line defaults to “false,” and you should change that to “true”. The next step is to go into your wheel driver and the rotation to the maximum value it supports, up to the maximum rotation of 1440 degrees that rFactor 2 supports. Then you go back to your Controller.JSON and set the “Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation Default” to the same number of degrees you just configured. If your wheel actually does support us reading the maximum rotation, you can alternatively set “Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation from Driver” to “true” so we will read whatever you set from the driver. We do recommend setting it to the maximum value in the driver, as we can only make the rotation less in software, not more. Finally we have a value called “Steering Wheel Bump Stop Harshness,” which acts like a spring constant and defines how harsh the buildup of counter-torque will be when you go over the maximum rotation for a car. We recommend starting with a value of somewhere between 20 (soft) to 50 (harsh), but this really depends on your wheel and personal preference. For SimSteering and OSW, we added some profiles to our default set as well. You might want to give those a try as they are already setup for this new feature.

In summary, these are the new parameters in the Controller.JSON:

• Steering Wheel Software Rotation – Defaults to false, but must be set to true to enable this feature. When it is set to false, this feature should be fully disabled.
    • Steering Wheel Bump Stop Harshness – A configurable value ranging from 1.0 to 100.0, which acts like a spring constant that determines how much counter-torque will be applied if you steer beyond the maximum range.
    • Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation from Driver – Whether we should attempt to fetch the maximum steering wheel range from the wheel driver, assuming the driver supports this.
    • Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation Default – The value of our maximum steering wheel range when there isn’t a wheel driver available that we can read this from or when “Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation from Driver” is set to false. Values from 40 to 1440 are supported.

McKiernan likes this.
  5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yeah, the software rotation works for anything that does FFB. I meant I'm not sure how the wheel works and why it's not currently right.

Narrowbackwing likes this.
  6. Supa

Supa Registered

My bodnar rotation stopped working when I updated to latest config software. Fixed it by reverting back to older version without in-game damping option. There's only 2 versions 0.4 and the latest 1.1

7. lmp2

lmp2 Registered

thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately nothing has worked. Whatever settings I change, the actual wheel rotates the sim wheel at about 3x the rate. The wheel is basically an OSW.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@lmp2 let's try the other way: you tell us what your wheel is set to (rotation), and attach or paste your controller.json in here so we can see what you've set. Also good would be a screenshot of your control settings page in the game.

The software rotation should work, so something's missing, and this might be the easier way to find it.

9. lmp2

lmp2 Registered

Thanks. I will do this tonight. Appreciate the help.

10. RWB Audi

RWB Audi Registered

@lmp2 this maybe sounds stupid, but have you calibrated your wheel in windows controller settings? I had an issue with my OSW, where I accidently got into the calibration window for my wheel and calibrated it incorrectly, and got same results as you indicate.

Just a suggestion, and cant hurt to try it out ;)

RWB Audi