League Admins: League essential features

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Aug 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mipuumal

mipuumal Registered

I have not tried rF2 for a while so some of these might be obsolete by now:

- Essential/required
    1. a more predictable/forgiving collision system - self-explanatory
    2. improved handling of spectator sessions - show a list of connected spectators on the server UI so that they can be administrated if needed, seperate password for spectator sessions

- Useful/nice to have
    1. a tool like rfVCRmerge - helps significantly with qualifying checks, pitexit checks etc. (helps with driving as well)
    2. tire compound rules as mentioned already in this thread
    3. visual compound identification (this might already be in the game, like I said it's been a while since I tried it)

- Basics
    1. Dedicated Target Rate (server fps) - this setting was very important in rF1, if you set it too high it caused severe lag and instability
    2. Max Data Per Client - this is more of a question than anything else: in rF1 you could run with this set to 64, but the last time we did an event with rF2, this had to be set to at least 256 or else no one could even connect to the server, why is this?

That's all I can think for now.

2. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I've posted this thread in our admin forum, will report back once I've collected stuff.

But for now something I have been very passionate about and something that has been coming back many times:
    Workable anti-cutting system.

As I requested here I would love to see ISI take the bull by the horns and provide something useful for us all.
    Like the suggestion to ID different surfaces and server admins can just set A,B,C combos for which surface is allowed or not (tarmack/curbs/sand/etc)

It will not just help leagues, also public servers can benefit from this and with a bit of luck drivers are forced to behave making the overall driving standards much better by default. (wishfull thinking maybe!)

This is one of the main things I am very disappointed to see advanced simracing software is lacking in evolution and it would imo be a big leap forward.
    (if even possible of course, I have no idea just how easy/impossible this would be to do)

And before anyone starts, no, its not a question of checking whom and kicking them out. over 2 decades in our league we concluded its both noobs and experience drivers, sometimes people not even aware, or cracking under pressure and going for a leap whilst they would normally behave. Don't happen regurarly either, just on occasion and sometimes its the track's fault, but it happens enough to be a continues concern.
    And besides, removing members for bad behaviour is an extreme, its much better to show them what's going on, forcing/coaching them to adapt. But that takes up way too much time.

3. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Quick question to other admins, do you get incident-reports in the xml files? we have run several events now and every time this area stays blank somehow.

So either its on me or server settings, or it should be added to the current wish-list :)

4. Nibo

Nibo Registered

No. I wrote this too in my message on 1st page "in rF2 there is no <Incident> info output".

5. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Oops, missed that with my quick reply, thx Nibo.

6. myself9

myself9 Registered

The league I run is primarily Hill Climb competitions, so the main function I'm looking for is a point-to-point timing setup.

Aside from that, I don't need anything that ISI hasn't already developed

7. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

[​IMG]

Community: CPSA
    Site: www.comunidadepsa.com

We use rfactor 1 for years and start to make some events in RF2 for some months now. Our main goal is to move all the community to rf2 in couple of months (1 year, 1 year and half). We will use other sims but Rfactor 2 will be our main software.
    Sorry for any grammar error since english is not my primary language.

ESSENTIAL:
    1- ANTI CHEAT: Several years after and several softwares after, cheating is a cancer in online racing. Something should be implemented in ISI side to prevent it. Demanded issue that should be on ISI top list TO DO.
    2- DEDICATED PANEL: Should be much more complete. Things such as session starting time, passenger/spectator settings, parc ferme, etc shouldnt need to be edited in PLR. Even penalties and the possibility to change race length (specially for 2 races events like 15 min+30 min) should be there instead of using server commands.
    3- TRACKS: Pit/Grid/Garage spots continue to be an issue. Even Silverstone, such a new track, has only around 30 places for cars. Something should be done to let admins and their leagues to easily allocate 40/50 guys on track.
    4- RESULTS: All this years communities used external softwares such as SLS to post results to their members. ISI could make a nice clean place where all leagues could easily upload their results and tables. For livetiming/hotlaps we have liveracers wich lacks 1 or 2 features but its ok by now.
    5- ANTI-CUT: One of main problems in leagues. This could easy be bypassed making something like implementing in Dedicated Panel a percentage for cutting track where 0% drivers can go all the way trough grass and in 100% a driver that puts 4 wheels off track will be penalized with a stop n go or drive trough. If main goal is to achieve realism then this should be implemented ASAP.

USEFULL:
    1- SPOOTER: By now rf2 should have a complete spotter system with live report to driver. Things such as tires, fuel, damage, laptimes, gaps, weather forecast, should be informed by voice to driver. Something usefull for all instead of having all that info on screen. With possibility of ON/OFF.
    2- PITSTOP: New system to change things. At least 3 things should be prompted to driver when pit is requested and then he replies with a simple YES OR NO (2 buttons only), Tire change? Refuel? and Repair? should be easy to driver. All other things such as wings, tire pressure, etc could be on LCD like it is now. Some tracks simply dont have long straights where drivers can change things safely.
    3- REPAIR ON PITSTOP: Should be OFF by default. How much of us lost time forgetting to turn body repair to OFF?
    4- FORMATION LAP PENALTY: It could be implemented a safe distance between drivers. Any driver in less than X meters from driver in front will be penalized. Like in pitlane speed.
    5- PITLANE SPEED: Could be changed by league admins on Dedicated Server.
    6- ENDURANCE RACES: When a driver lose his connection, car should change to AI control til driver rejoin. If driver wont join in 3 laps for example then car should travel to garage and race over for him. With that all the leagues avoid the main problem in endurance races. One time per race. Any car wich lose connection for the second time will be DNF.
    7- YELLOW FLAGS: There should be implemented the rule like in several real races. In Yellow flag drivers cant do less than their best sector time. If they do so then penalty applied.
    8- PENALTIES: There should be a better penalty system instead of only in blue flags and pitlane speed. Things such as cutting lines to enter/exit pits, excessing speed in formation lap, excessing space between cars in safety car, etc should be there.
    9- DEMAND PITSTOP: Should be an option in dedicated panel to let admins force a pitstop in their races (with or without tire or refuel, letting admins choose)
    10- SPECTATORS: List of spectators and the ability to kick/ban.

BASIC:
    Mainly the ones i reported in ESSENTIALS.

Good luck for RF2 and for all communities using it.
    Cheers from Portugal.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2013
  8. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Essential:

Real road is working at artificial, accelerated rate. We may live with "artificial" for the time being, but not with "accelerated".
    At minimum, a setting in server configuration should allow changing this rate.

And then the usual stuff - collisions, tire wear...

We're pretty serious about racing in our leagues. We don't just sign up for race and jump into cars. Teams work on setups, practice together. That's why it's important for setups to have expected influence on cars ( temperatures, pressures etc. ). May not necessarily be accurate at this stage, but at least it must be there :)

Perhaps some of these have been addressed recently - I'm just not up to date with everything. Last time I tested tire wear it had little to no influence on grip and you couldn't blow a tire. For now I just try new cars and tracks, but I'm not doing any tests nor working on any tools.

9. Jônatas Soares

Jônatas Soares Registered

- Essential/required
    A separation between mods and tracks. The way rfactor 2 is today, it's not the most practical thing. Supose we race with Formula ISI mod, for example. To race it online, I have to create my own mod, with my own tracks. If somehow I decide to change just a track, I have to upload the mod all over again. I beleave that part could be better. We could race with any mod at any giving track.

- Useful/nice to have
    Many leagues today have there races broadcasted online, including my own. In rfactor 1, we use "Tv Style" plugin to make the broadcast more lifelike. Iracing uses a similar sistem, just for broadcasting. I beleave that it would make things a lot easier if we had some king of TV Style for online broadcasts.
    Results after a race to share online would be a nice toach.
    - Basics
    - Penalty for crossing pit lane while exit
    - Qualifing Sessions (Q1, Q2, Q3, etc)
    - Force to use two different tire compounds
    - Edit Grid

10. Nibo

Nibo Registered

Another 2 points.

1. Every new server configuration (vmod) sets car upgrades, cockpit and mirror positions, car specific FFB multiplier to default values. So driver does offline training during a week before online race with All Cars&Tracks mode, sets favorite downforce package in upgrades, rear roll center (F3.5 specific), motor/brakes/gearbox upgrades (rF1 mods use them frequently) etc, adjusts his seat and mirrors, sets FFB multiplier. Then he goes to race online, receives vmod from server and all of mentioned setup is defaulted! And during connection to server selected upgrades are not visible for fast verification on car select screen (we must click TUNING and then set them). In rF1 selected upgrades always stayed consistent, so driver never checks them in rF2 online mode, goes on track with a car which has not his DF package, motor/brakes/gearbox upgrades etc. there is no indication on server which upgrades are selected for current car, so he is lucky if he will be able to tell from car behavior - something is wrong. And we have to readjust seat, mirrors and FFB multiplier upon server connection. This upgrade confusion already happened with me and F3.5 mod. Changing FFB multiplier for every vmod happens with all mods. I`m sure with other people also.

How to fix this I do not know. Its a bad side effect of vmod system. At least I can think of:
    - make selected upgrades for selected car visible without clicking TUNING. Since TUNING takes 2-3 seconds for car mesh to load. Actually selecting upgrades without waiting for car loading would be nice also. In rF1 car model was already loaded, so setting upgrades was not time consuming.
    - make selected upgrades visible on server for your car.
    - make car specific FFB multiplier really car specific and not vmod specific.
    - make seat position and mirrors data also universal for one specific car, not for a vmod.

2. Are car floor/plank-to-ground collisions simulated? Is plank wear simulated? Because there is no sound of floor touching the ground, there no sparks. And I do not remember speed falling from low ride height on cars. Just now we tested F2 cars, and one of us set ride heights to absolute minimum and run without problems .5-1 second faster then others. If this is not simulated, it absolutely should.

11. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Needless to say, this is primarily through the eyes of a Formula One league, which I used to be part of, but anyway.

Basics
    • Keep results from cars that exit non-race sessions prematurely in the same way as for a race session.
    • Being able to restrict the Escape key from being used unless the car has substantial damage.
    Essential/required
    • Being able to red flag and restart a race, preferrably by going back to the formation lap even if recon lap is configured. If the race is past the first lap, halt on the grid and restart behind the safety car from the lap on which the race was stopped.
    • Better wet tyre physics
    Useful
    • Being able to track engine wear across sessions. We handled it manually through engine upgrades in rF1, but if it would be possible to have the game handle it, it would be great.
    • Being able to restrict the number of available tyre sets for a session type.
    • Being able to fit a specific tyre set when in the pits.
    • Being able to clearly identify the current tyre compound via its name, rather than its index, which is extremely hard to process, particularly in the Internals Plugin interface. See this thread for more details: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/14474-InternalsPlugin-Tyre-compounds
    • Being able to use the qualifying sessions to execute a proper Formula 1 knockout style qualifying.
    • Being able to control the weather via the Internals Plugin interface, which would allow connections to weather simulation software, real life weather observations, etc.
    • Real life speed build-up of track rubbering, dry line, etc.
    • Better rain spray and other rain related visual effects.
    • Handle trackside LED status panels properly. It's possible to emulate it via corner workers, but it's not close enough to the real life version to be realistic.

12. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

- Manual deployment of SC and course flags
    - Ability to apply/override ingame penalties
    - Beyond reverse grid, being able to reposition drivers in the grid individually (like being able to apply a 5-spot penalty, or only reversing top 4-6-8 drivers of a grid)

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Erm... if I can humbly offer a quick piece of advice to all you guys posting... try and keep it relevant to league functions rather than player stuff, and take the 10-20 mins to check if what you're asking for is already in the game. A fair bit of what's on this page is already in there.

ISI cops some flak at times for failing to do some things or in a certain way (perhaps justifiably at times), if people aren't bothering to check what rF2 already does before posting suggestions it really doesn't reflect well on them.

As for me, at this point I can't think of any league-related stuff that hasn't been mentioned so far.

Oh, weather, which I think I mentioned in the wish list section - apart from the rates being slowed so 'light rain' doesn't flood the track in 4 minutes and then dries out in another 4 mins (I haven't tried medium and heavy rain... scary!), you can only script Practice, Qualifying, and Race. Really need to be able to specify each individual session in the .wet file (so all 13 sessions) in order to avoid strange weather loops. Then you can let server-side plugins/programs do proper weather scripting and get on to other stuff.

14. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

Essential:

As has been mentioned....

1) Parc Ferme that doesn't lock your Q tires to the only tires you can use in the race.

2) 2 compound tire rule monitoring. Just output to the XML at pit stops if necessary. We've been using a plugin and I've written another, but it's a lot of extra steps to get the drivers to e-mail me their plugin output, decode it, and check them. Just store the pit stops, the laps made, and the tires used at race start and during stops in the server output XML.

3) Cheat catcher ?

Nice to have:

Better Admin controls for editing the grid and checking it during race session.

15. lagg

lagg Registered

Hi every one.
    - Essential: The possibility to change all the config parameters of the races without having to create .mas files or packages. I'm refering to, sessions (number and duration), drs zones, pitgroups, etc
    - Essential: The possibility to choose a vehicle and a circuit when we start the dedicated server and the vmod were created automatically by the server, and when the pilot conects to the server the vmod were automatically downloaded.
    - Essential: The possibility to add and change .veh files without repackaging the vehiche an the mod (of course, this files would be included in the vmod automatically created). Now we can add automatically skins, but no cars.
    With this feature the leagues would be much more flexibles, easier for the pilots and our work would reduce a lot. In our case, when a new pilot cames, we add a new car with his name, team, etc, and we have to make a new vehicle and a new mod each time.

Thanks for the thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2013
  16. LabR4t

LabR4t Registered

+1

17. Fergy

Fergy Registered

Thanks ISI for the chance to have some input;-)

A lot of the above mentioned features would be great. To have easy to use features will be another step forward for this program.

Reiterating here a little,

* Reverse grid button.
    * KERS activate and deactivate.
    * Active penalty button.
    * Weather control e.g. 5 minute rain warning
    * Safety car full controlled by admin or league official. When it comes out and how many laps it stays out.
    * Ability to open and close chat e.g qualifying and races. With an Admin override for important messages only.

The list really goes on but this could be the icing on the cake for this great program.

I'm in favour for the Charlie Whiting control panel:p
    [​IMG]

Finishing with a plug.. get onboard...SR4L www.simracers4life.com

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2013
  18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Good thread / list / post

Agreed

19. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I forgot to mention, during a broadcast having the possibility to select any car in the race at any given time, without having to cycle through cars or go to the garage menu.

20. Gupster

Gupster Registered

1. Random weather. We don't want to know what the weather will be.
    2. Grid config ae reversible top 8 etc and grid adjustments for penalties etc.

Thanks for a great sim ISI!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.