Launching through command line / avoiding launcher

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Tygernoot, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Tygernoot

Tygernoot Registered

Hi,

Unless my forum search skills let me down again, I think this question hasn't been posed yet.

I'm basically trying to understand the flow of running the game through the command line, which was supported in rFactor1.

With rFactor 2 this no longer seems to be the intent. It is working to host dedicated servers by just running the "rFactor2 Dedicated.exe" located in the Core/ folder, but only if you do so from the main rFactor2 folder. If you launch it directly, it searches the mods in the Core/ folder instead of the main folder.

First question: what is the reason for this split between mods in the main and the Core/ folder? The ModMgr.exe also sees the mods from the main folder if you run it from the main folder, while when running it from the Core/ folder it looks for the mods in that one.

Second question: the +oneclick for dedicated server is currently no longer available as it crashes the dedicated module. Is this going to be restored?

These first two are mostly useful for those renting servers without remote desktop access and for running dedicated servers through third-party tools like I used to do with Tyka.

Third question, launching rFactor2.exe itself seems to be no longer supported. When launching it you get the popup "Simulation can only be started by "Launch rFactor" application."

I had to disassemble the launcher and the rFactor2 executable to understand that you need to launch it using several commands:
    Code:
    rFactor.exe [+multiplayer] +path=".." +hash=<hash> [email=<email> pass=<password>]
    The optional [] commands are only required when joining multiplayer, otherwise the server list ends up empty. And without the correctly generated hash it will show the popup message.

Also when running rFactor2.exe from the main directory using this command line I get errors (didn't look into it yet how the launcher doesn't get this type of errors) and when launching it from the Core/ directory I can only launch it using the mods installed in the Core/ folder.

So the obvious third question: does this mean it's no longer possible launching rFactor2 from the command line without copying the method the generate this hash and extracting the user's email and password from the license data.commerce file, or is this going to be changed in later versions?

If this won't work, it basically hampers any third-party development that launches rFactor2 outside of the launcher without having to hack the above parameters...

Thanks and best regards,
    Edward.