Launcher issues again

Discussion in 'Previous unstable/build archive' started by dradecki, Aug 30, 2014.

1. dradecki

dradecki Registered

I am still having problems with the launcher. This started in the last release where the main window won't appear, but I see the launcher process in the task manager. I tried all the suggestions in the tech forum but no luck. I am running Windows 7 64bit.

Repaired the VC 2012 .Net installation and all is well.

Update: installed a Windows 7 update and the Launcher stopped working...Very Frustrating. Any way uninstalled the VC Studio 2012 redistributables, but again no luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2014
  2. Promag

Promag Registered

Do you have your Aero turned off in Windows 7

3. Tosch

Tosch Registered

If you would like to figure out what's going on try Sysinternals Process Monitor.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

-Execute ProcMon.exe
    -Click "ok" for the filters
    -Run rF2 Launcher
    -In ProcMon disable autoscroll (Ctrl +A)
    -Find "Launch rFactor.exe" in ProcMon (Process Name)
    -Rightclick "Launch rFactor.exe" and select "Include 'Launch rFactor.exe'" This sets the filter to show rF Launcher events only.
    -Try to figure out what the problem is. If you have no luck go to "File" - "save...", save a pml-file (Events displayed using current filter) and send me a pm with the file.

4. dradecki

dradecki Registered

Thank you guys for your help. I did have Aero off, so no luck there. I tried Dependency Walker with no help. I did install and ran ProcMon. There is a ton of events to look at, so that will take some time to debug. Again thank you all for your help, hopefully I can come up with an answer.

5. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Make sure to set the filter (Include Launch rFactor.exe). This should give you around 6800 events. I can send you the log of a working install so you can check what's different.

6. Carlo

Carlo Registered

Hmmm,

I know this is a long-shot, but I can't help but wonder if this is somehow related to the Microsoft August Patch Tuesday debacle that's hit Win 7 64-bit machines. In particular, I'm referring to MS14-045 and these two bad patches (there are actually 5 bad patches):

1) KB2982791 (original patch - Aug 12)
    2) KB2993651 (patched patch - Aug 27)

In this document:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2993651

Microsoft states under "Known issue 2":

"After you install this update, the z-order of the windows is changed. (The z-order calls the
    SetWindowPos function together with the HWND_TOP parameter.) Therefore, the windows of
    certain applications may become invisible or may be incorrectly displayed behind other
    windows."

If this is the cause, then the problem may only occur in rF2 under specific configurations. Example:

1) Windowed vs non-windowed in "Configure Sim"
    2) Under the "Advanced" launcher tab, "Close this application after successful start of the simulation".

7. dradecki

dradecki Registered

If you could PM me a "good" log, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2014