Latest Roadmap Update - September 2021

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Sep 30, 2021.

1. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

I thought it was at some point before DX11 implementation sorry

but then, why its not in the radar or in the works at all?

2. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Physics. Would you be happy with anything less than 120Hz Cycle time? Not me by a long shot, gave those days up with Z80's.

Thermodynamic variables that have profound impacts on performance in the real world are too complex to run in real time.
    Convection accounts for the majority of tire cooling on the track; at lower speeds, typically about 70-80 MPH the effectiveness of convection is inhibited by a boundary layer of air. Once the air flow has the a high enough velocity beginning about 70 MPH the flow has enough momentum (impingement) to break the boundary layer bubble.

Typically on a Formula Car tire the bubble is about 1-2 tenths inch. Really cool to watch with a FLIR. As the boundary layer is penetrated exiting airflow jumps in temp (lots of red on the FLIR) and the tire cools significantly faster. Been there, done that. Want another 50 effects to emulate?

I think S397 is doing a stellar job to provide a fantastic driving experience on a realtime platform and frankly thats all that really matters. The point was an example of the challenge to emulate real world.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  3. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

@John R Denman I'm not sure the folks at iRacing would agree with your assertion that most cooling of tires occurs through convection (transfer to the air). They have stated that most occurs through conduction (transfer into the road), and they spend a lot of time showing how much the track surface temperature heats up as a result of that process. Its well known conduction is much more effective in heat transfer than convection is. Got any data to support your assertion?

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Because that's exactly what I was implying. :rolleyes: