Latest Roadmap Update - September 2020

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Flaux

Flaux Registered

I don't think this sim needs any of the above. DTM is dead (GT3s in the future), Supercars as well (manufacturer support fades away for years now), F1 as well (today Honda announced they end their campaign at the end of '21, plus no licensing possible as you said) and WRC isn't something for rf2 I believe.

TCR might be the only consideration. GT4 looks to be a good and popular platform, too. Otherwise I can only see interesting content from the past. Maybe Lemans-Historic car packs. 4 LMP, 4 GT from every decade or era maybe.

But that's just what's going ion in my head. Lol.

2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Why is there such a disdain for historic series? Simracing is the perfect platform to archive these series and actually drive what may not drive in the near future. I think some of you are just more attracted/distracted by "new and shiny".

3. sg333

sg333 Registered

:rolleyes:

Maybe it's because, for example, GT3 cars at the moment are at the most advanced stage of evolution they have ever been. The same applies to any current race cars, be it IndyCar, TCR, F1 etc.

I would love a full grid of GT1 cars, vintage DTM, vintage open wheel and stock cars and on and on, but people are more likely to buy content if they turn on their TV and that's what is racing on their screen today.

Remco Majoor likes this.
  4. lagg

lagg Registered

I think exactly the opposite.
    I'm fed up of GTs, i don't like the GTs, i don't use the GTs, but why to say that this sim doesn't need more GTs. It's me who don't need GTs, not the sim.
    I want, for sure, TCR, WRC, DTM, Supercars, F1, classics, etc. And not to drive them. The more different cars are in the sim, the more complete are the phisics and better will be all the cars
    Does the sim need those cars? S397 should know this.

5. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Yeah, i think there's an obsession for GT cars and all the rest (official) is almost non existant...

lagg likes this.
  6. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

No guys, there is no disdain, or obsession. Just preferences. That's all.

I think the ideal would be to have ALL GT3s (still 3 for this season ?)

AND AT THE SAME TIME to have a maximum of different types of cars (FWD, AWD, RWD, a lot of categories, trucks. ...), the more different physics the better.

But we NEED a large COMPLETE series. The GT3 are also beautiful cars ......

7. Mauro

Mauro Registered

Personally, in simracing, I don't drive cars built after 1980

No interest in modern cars

8. stonec

stonec Registered

It isn't going to be a complete series unless you also have all the tracks and the exact rules etc., which won't happen unless you get the FIA license. For me there are already more than enough different GT3 cars than I would ever have time to drive with. Open wheelers would be the obvious next thing to get a bigger representation of IMO.

mesfigas and Rui Santos like this.
  9. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

We have 13, in fact 11. (a lot)

More than 3 and they will be full, it would be a shame to stop there. More than 3.

And then a maximum of diversity.

10. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

We are very lucky to have slowmotion F3 and GP3 + 7 excellent Tatuus + the 3 historic Formula 1 McLaren and the brabham and the march.

But why not anymore.

And now we have I believe 42 S397 cars ! It starts to be a lot !!!!

pkelly likes this.
  11. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

It is totally true. Most of sirmacers are definitely guys that are wanna be racers of the present time, with the newest equipment. They want to be up to date with the latest possible stuff that just has happened not long ago IRL. They aren't as much enthusiast of automobile, of motorsport as a whole, as just keeping in touch with what goes on IRL just now. They want to be ahead of stuff, they want to be relevant and popular and move together with a main stream. Nothing really wrong about that, but it is just sad that anything else becomes obsolete for them, and rich past or less popular forms of motorsport are being missed out. That suggests lack of personal creativity, imagination... and it also reflects in certain characteristics such as sense of humor, originality, curiosity. It is just monkey business of copying something easily recognizable. The biggest problem of this is that popularity of RL motorsport will continualy decline, and variety will continualy shrink down, except for electric and hybrid stuff. As there will be less of RL stuff to immitate in simulation whole simracing niche will suffer, even though everything will remain available and possible in simulation forever !

It would be awesome if simracing would be more widely perceived as some sort of time capsule and way of documentation of whole variety of racing that has ever been, that could have been, and that could happen. But there we banf into a wall of creativity, imagination and curiosity. Despite of endless possibilities the appeal is just what it is. The further stuff is from what has happened few hours ago IRL, the more it dives down into the depth of the niche. Motorsport is almost 120 years old, maybe older, the history is amazing. Plus there are road cars, but can average sim guy imagine racing them or stuff from 1950s ? Would he bother ? Would he be curious to race them ? All the answers are known, and thats why simracing is offering what it is offering.

It is very unfortunate. There are surely many guys who are all what it takes to use simulation in all that what it is possible for. But perhaps not enough. And as we are in a shadow, there is no way to tell if we even still are there at all. And being unpopular is dragging over even thicker shroud of disdain (I like this, new word to me, thanks lol). If thats not enough, we classics guys even seem to be quite a bit divided even for likes and perceptions of same cars, or whatever other stupid reason.

As for evolution, I would say something slightly controversial. Race car did not evolve that much since ~1967-1977. Surely they became incredibly more efficient, faster and safer and changed visualy and in character a lot. But almost everything has already been introduced rather early in motorsport. During 80s and after it is mostly manufacturers catching up with each other, polishing out and finding improved ways to use of what is already known, increasing efficiency (sometimes in unfortunate ways, with only benefit of being faster), reliability, safety. Removing stuff to make driver less employed for essential driving tasks and adding more electronic controls and making drivers more of a managers of systems and less of a mechanics of basic stuff. And obviously everyone moving to the golden formula causes increasing diminishing of differences, which just indicates that the end of given format is near. I don't even think that racing tires improved that much, they probably does have better friction indeed, higher extremes, but whats the use of $$$$$ tires that are good only for 20-30minutes and operating in tiniest imaginable thermal and load windows, just for pitstops to be busy ? If fuel is to be saved, then perhaps resources for manufacturing tires also is something. Also whats the point of F1 wing that costs like a whole race car would have cost in 60s.

Edit: oh boy, got a bit caried away right there, away from the main topic...

To remain on point - I am getting impatient about Nordschleife. It is going to be different track.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    bobbie424242 likes this.
  12. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I've never seen simracers on forums saying something like "I don't like historics, I only like new cars" or "I don't like variety, I only want GTs or open wheelers".

But people have the right to have preferences, you don't have to judge them.

If a guy says "I prefer GT3s to prototypes, or GT3s to openwheelers", I don't see where the problem is.

Just stick to those preferences, and don't make a big deal out of them !

pkelly likes this.
  13. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

we need 90's era

2ndLastJedi and Magus like this.
  14. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I was just a bit confused. So many comments on the Ferrari release Facebook post (stupid to read the Facebook comment section expecting sense anyway) about how the car is useless because it is now out of date. OUT OF DATE?! WHAT?! Everything once it is released is out of date. Simracing has an opportunity to archive every form of motorsport. Keeping real historic cars sometimes doesn't happen because of the expense and lack of parts.

I for one are pretty sick of GT cars... every sim has the same cars now, which is why I appreciated the cars and tracks in AMS2 which weren't the usual GT stuff.

Maybe because I am an 80's child and grew up watch the 90's Formula 1 that I have a fondness for motorsport not only current year.

Please don't let simracing become like a FIFA/Madden/NFL game, chasing the current and forgetting history.

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  15. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I think it already is that.

PS I keep glancing at steamchart players numbers of AMS2, it is just way too little for what it is. Good stuff and good development doesn't guarantee much it seems. I am myself not yet on AMS2 because I am skeptical about their engine choice and I am just too invested on cars physics that I am having a great time working on for rF2 for soon to be two years (and rF2 just keeps on teaching and giving). I wonder what would have happened with Assetto Corsa if they wouldn't have got all those epic Ferraris and other brands at the beginnings, it would probably be same as AMS, AMS would have probably overtaken AC. It was also the time when people still could have been attracted by cars such as Lamborghini Miura, AC Cobra, RUF Yellowbird, and right now ? - Not so much. Probably not even F40. These guys of that taste have been repelled nowadays. They used enthusiasts to conquire the niche and now they are flexing a whole sim dedicated to these latest kinds of cars that seems like it is all that matters in simracing by now.

Rui Santos likes this.
  16. Kahel

Kahel Registered

We could use a batmobile...
    The Aston Martin valkyrie... to go along the Mclaren senna.

17. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

That would be interesting. But it didn't race IRL two hours ago, so I guess it is not that relevant in a mainstream sense of simracing.

18. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

It seems to me, Sim-Racers can be categorized into sub-groups. There may be some overlap among them for each individual but, most players probably slot into one group more than others. Our priorities in sim's vary depending on what aspects are most important for us personally.

Auto Enthusiast: Focus on quality representations of the RL counterpart with as much accuracy and detail as possible. Just sitting in the virtual car can be an experience in itself. Accurate sights, sounds, features, physics, are all important aspects to get right. Realism matters in all aspects. Classic / historic cars are most appreciated among this group, not necessarily race-cars.
    Gamer: Focused on fun, control, dominating opponents, etc. Conquering the game, solving puzzles, climbing the ladder, etc. Winning at games matters, whatever it takes. Accuracy / realism carry less weight. Gamepad may be controller of choice.
    Racer: Focused on personal performance and winning at racing. Car details may not matter as much but, track details may. Competing is everything. Immersion may not be important but, a proper racing model is. Simulation may be a training tool. The latest and greatest racing gear and simulated race-car is preferred.
    Driver: Being immersed in the driving experience is key. Effective audio, tactile, visual cues all play important roles in the experience. Absolute realism need not be a top priority but, feeling connected in an immersive, visceral and dynamic driving experience is. What the car being simulated is, may matter less than how it is being simulated.

pkelly, Remco Majoor, Filip and 2 others like this.
  19. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

AC is a different concept, it's more a driving simulator, who doesn't dreamed on driving those road cars on rF2?

AC had success for having a good engine and physics, despite lots of features lacking. It was the pretty "simcade" that was friendly for all tastes...

For me it NEVER replaced rF2, even if i spent lots of hours on it.

AMS2, like you said, had potential, probably much more if they've gone the gmotor engine instead of the madness one, because i think their job in Stock Car Extreme and AMS1 is OUTSTANDING!

After some testing in AMS2 it's just too "fake" for me, for now... the slips, the grip, the hud, i don't know, i have no good feelings or hope about it, just a game for me, never a sim...

mesfigas and Kahel like this.
  20. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Here is the original Batmobile! I have begun looking at AC simply to get some of the older tracks and cars from the late 60's Can Am.
    Generally I try to stick with one single sim so I don't lose my mind trying to remember which sim does what. But AC just has more of what I'm looking for these days. I only recently read why the top half of this car was wider than the bottom. Throughout the Can Am series, tires were growing in size almost weekly. The tire width in 1970 had outgrown the Mclaren's tub, but rather than construct a complete new car, they just fabricated a wider upper body.
    [​IMG]

Emery, Kahel, Mauro and 1 other person like this.