Latest Roadmap Update - September 2019

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Sep 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Been watching YouTube vids of rfactor2 Nords on YouTube

Looks really good quality & 1st release too

When I build a new PC & pickup a headset I’m buying everything DLC for rfactor2
    Looking forward to trying the new Porsche

There’s never been a better time With more to look forward to
    Keep up the good work!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  2. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Personally I like the “Le Mans” approach, say nothing and then when it’s ready release it.

xerofer likes this.
  3. Filip

Filip Registered

Yeah, just like with Spa in November. :oops:

gabrielof and Flaux like this.
  4. Obbzy_XR_

Obbzy_XR_ Registered

Well, that escalated quickly! :eek:
    Not the best way to have a point proven, but there ya go...
    Best way to fix the angst it is by jumping in a Porsche @ Nordschleife.
    Works every time. :)

bwana and GrimDad like this.
  5. jjcook

jjcook Registered

i dont think i said people were leaving in droves ...its been a 2 year bleed

just try finding a decent pick up race -nada - i dont care about sales stats , i care about racing real people- 3 leagues i used to race rf2 on have moved to other sims- I havent left and probably wont until there is a better sim and currently there is not - user experience may not equal the stats , pick up servers i join used to have 15 people , now lucky to have 8 regulars

i have all content dlc's ...im a serious supporter and everyday user onlne and still have 3 different leagues i run with - numbers are down , you cant deny that with download and sales stats

my complaint is a legitimate complaint - not whining , not hating anyone , s397 not addressing the bloated server list was an oversight and bad decision that impacts the community

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    Mibrandt likes this.
  6. Depco

Depco Registered

The fact of the matter is that Marcel himself has made several statements about the UI being very close. I would look for the quotes if I had more interest in proving my point, but they are around and can be located if necessary. The long time users and S397 developers know what I am talking about. (I can tell Marcel is an eternal optimist, or he would not have picked up this dying sim to give it CPR)

The New tracks and cars are fantastic and no one can slight S397 for their DLC releases. They are quality through and through. I myself was able to get into the cup car on Nords GP this evening and found it to be lively and incredibly entertaining, especially for a guy who really does not like the Porsche.

However, I can't get over the feeling that DLC takes a front seat to the UI and Competition Infrastructure (CI). I totally understand that DLC brings in the dollars. It is the thing that S397 are likely using to pay for the delays in the UI and CI. When that releases they should be raking in the dough hand over fist. But for the time being it feels like they may have 12-15 people working on DLC and about 2-3 on the UI and CI. Considering the glacial pace of the development of the CI (The UI has been done for some time I suspect but they have stated they don't want to release one without the other) it is easy to understand the end users frustrations with how long it is taking.

I know that the UI is nothing more than a new skin on the already existing UI. (but with all new coding underneath to allow for more enhanced features to be added later) I am very happy that S397 is fixing what ISI failed to do at the outset of rF2. (Lazy coding and development hoping for another strike of gold with outdated technology) I just wish they would put some more resources toward the UI and CI as these are VERY important things to their users.

I also understand why S397 does not want to release it until it is ready. To do so before would be a more damaging mis-step than the current situation. But then they should hire some more coders and such to get this stuff done quicker. The wait for this update has long past its freshness date. It has become a joke in the Sim community, and not in a good, memey way.

At the beginning of 2019 I told my League members not to expect the UI and CI until 2020. (not a joke, I seriously expected 2020) In April or May I got some hope and thought maybe it would be released to beta in mid 2019. I was wrong again based on statements by S397 Admin. Being constantly disappointed in this way is soul crushing. Like having your father send a kick ass gift on your birthday every year but failing to actually show up to any of your birthday parties, or baseball games, or wrestling meets. All the while promising you he will do better and make your next event.

@Marcel Offermans, @Christopher Elliott please understand that I am not trying to tear you and S397 down with this post. But I am trying to reinforce what you already know. Please re-double your efforts in getting the UI and CI done. We can only survive so much "Soon", "Almost ready", "Weeks".

Thank you for your time and consideration on this matter.

7. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

Not sure how many times we need to emphasize it :) ....content/cars/tracks is not the same team as Comp/UI, they are entirely independent.

8. Balazs Magyar

Balazs Magyar Registered

Agree. Imagine that you want to join F1 irl, as a team, and you have to buy all the cars in the field :D
    (I've bought all the DLC so far anyway, but it's my problem :) )

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    mister dog likes this.
  9. Steve Olden

Steve Olden Registered

or if a server runs the endurance pack and the Aston Martin GTE, you'd have to buy the Aston just to race there with one of the GTE's you already own.

mister dog likes this.
  10. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

And I can't emphasize enough that with a given budget, you can allocate more resources to the people in the bug fixing than trying to milk all you can your decreasing userbase :)

Louis and Mibrandt like this.
  11. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Everybody knows that by now. But clearly something is not working out in your team since these embarrasing delays keep happening. So probably what is meant is that it feels like the balance of the team is off. Not enough coders vs content creators. We know you guys are around 30 ppl and I believe Marcel once said that the balance is about 50/50. So approx 15 coders have now taken nearly 3 years to create a new UI and a competition system. Sorry but its really hard to take seriously.

Last time we heard about release of UI it was supposed to be ready in "2-3 weeks". That was a month ago. What happened? Did the coders abandon ship? Wouldnt it be natural to explain in the roadmap what is causing this delay? Its not just a small delay when you are suddenly merely hoping to be able to announce a release date in the next monthly roadmap.

Ronnie likes this.
  12. Christopher Elliott

I'm not sure what's 'milking' is about DLC, all sims have to do it in one way or another, everything has a price and we are adding value at a pretty low cost for the consumer :) rFactor 2 lacked content so we are changing that, which a lot of people are happy about.

13. Christopher Elliott

I have to say I see the same small minority of users that try to tear down the latest roadmaps. It's getting pretty old and predictable.

14. philman

philman Registered

Sorry, but that's not the right answer to the question.

Louis, Ronnie and Mibrandt like this.
  15. lbird

lbird Registered

Another thing i am missing in the roadmaps, especially since Reiza announced a working clutch model in their upcoming release: Are plans to simulate drivetrain/clutch more properly especially for historic cars still on the toDo list? I am not asking for any date here, i am fine with the roadmaps so far....

Mauro likes this.
  16. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

They said there is. AMS gearbox stuff was made by Marcel I think, not sure if they'll do the same implementation but they already know how to do it anyway

mr.Sw1tchblade likes this.
  17. Jan Fulka

Jan Fulka Registered

I'm sorry, but it bothers people who can not find information, but throws dirt and are "cleverness" when it knows nothing, I also look forward to new UI and Competition systém, but I think that rF2 it will not save. ;)

It has been said several times that they had to start writing the code several times from the beginning, so please be sure that the team is incapable of letting them work and if you don't like it, what are you doing here? :p

18. LokiD

LokiD Registered

With all due respect from the consumer pov, that could be said with the delays and the waiting. Just saying

Louis, DaREALMastaD, Hectari and 3 others like this.
  19. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Im sorry I am not trying to tear anything down. But honestly we were supposed to have the UI as we speak. So why not share with us why it is suddenly delayed for months again?

Ronnie likes this.
  20. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

What you see as embarrasing delays is the cost of open communication about development. iRacing, a company that works with bigger budgets took several years to work on their UI aswell, wich is still in beta btw and not that smooth and perfect aswell. For some reason nobody complains about it nor do I see memes or running gags about it. And do you want to know why? They just don't mention it. How long has it been since the first version of Long Beach? 6 years? I could go through a pretty big list of stuff from all developers and products just to bring this into perspective.

Anyway, I am not trying to defend S397 here as I think that their dates and deadlines are set too optimistic, but it's pretty obvious that there will be obstacles and plans that change, as with the work on Grand Tour game, wich was propably needed to get cash for new employes. From my perspective, it would have been better to just shut up and work away on the UI and release it when it's done as with Le Mans. But then you have people who complain that the development isn't transparent enough, as in the time when ISI was working on rF2. The last info that I have about the UI is from sim racing expo where it was communicated that the UI will ship after the Norwschleife and Cup car. So with the next roadmap in four weeks you will propably get a release date. Easy peasy.

vittorio, mister dog, Emery and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.