Latest Roadmap Update -October 2017

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Oct 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stonec

stonec Registered

Interesting. Few months ago it was showing 0.4% total VR users, now it's down to less than 0.3% in total. Actually VR hasn't gotten any updates since July, so maybe S397 moved their priorities already.

2. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

The problem also occurs when someone joins the server and is indeed very annoying. Heritage from rF1 still unaddressed.

Emery and juanchioooo like this.
  3. Lu ManiaK

Lu ManiaK Registered

I have a personal list of wishes for a better sim. But I also have to consider what is really important.
    I would have a better management for historic cars. Something better for H shifter users and regulations with paddle users (something like AC...but with a better clutch that is already good in rF2). I would have CPM for historic F1,F2 and F3, Houston G4 and G6.
    I want plugin like trackmap, pedal overlay and delta already functional inside the code of the sim. I really want these thing but they are not priority. I can understand by myself.
    There's a lot of people with BIG issues on their hardware. I don't have no one of this problems. But a lot of people has...so it is a priority to solve them. I don't have a VR but people that have it should have to use it greatly. VR will be the future in a really short time for sims. So that is another priority. What is a functional issue has priority in my opinion.

@dadaboomda : You say (your words) - Physics/FFB = ultra important, huge priority
    Why? When I read that I took for granted a fact: for you the physics and the FFB are weird, works bad and they are horrible. I think about that and I feel astonished. Can you make an example about bad FFB and physics on mods or circuits? I'm curious...really.
    More contents will be fantastic. I can't say the opposite 'cause I will be a liar. Up to now there's a lot of contents anyway. Do we have not laserscan tracks? If the layout is good who does care about that? Silverstone isn't laserscanned...but quality is similiar. When I drive at Okayama (not even an official 3° part track) I see a great layout. It look exactly like in IR. A lot of tracks are fantastic even not laserscanned.
    A banana remain a banana even if there is not the "Chiquita" print XD. The Nordschleife could be great if laserscanned. But lets see the use on other sims...AC use it for trackday sessions. On IR is not even in top 10 of most used tracks. For Studio 397 will be an useless expense.
    For mods it is just a bit different but we have (really) a lot of things to drive. More things than IR.

Lazza likes this.
  4. vittorio

vittorio Registered

It would be interesting to know too how many VR users iRacing (and AC) have or serious flight simulators. It would be interesting too how many steering wheel users (%) are there in the Steam ecosystem and how many DD wheel users. Not to speak about those (%) motion sim users in Steam.

EDIT: I would like to know too how many racing simulator users are there in Steam ecosystem? (in %, i would only count iRacing, rF2 and half of AC users)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  5. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

is certain cases is server configuration, in other cases it is the server line and in other cases it is rfactor

The line of customers is very important too

6. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

Hi.

I am very very surprising when you say :
    "foryou the physics and the FFB are weird, works bad andthey are horrible."

ARE YOU SERIOUS ????!

I always tell that :
    - Physics are exceptionnal
    - FFB is exeptional
    - ISI/S397 have the best quality content in rf2 ***IMO*** better than modder content = exceptionnal
    - The fact that there is no laser scanned track with REAL and ACURATE DATAS is a great shame on the best simulation of the market.
    - rf2 is the best simulator far away BECAUSE there are best physics/FFB/car content....

I said also that things which makes a simulation the best simulation ARE (********FOR ME**********) the most important priorities (with also good performance + best algorythms like real road etc) : and perhaps it is a wonderfull hazard, but it is also THE STRENGHTS OF S397/RF2....

So I HOPE that it will be LARGELY the main priorities of 2018 (I would have hoped that it would the priority of 2017 but it is not : example = graphic performance.).

You have misunderstood what I have said on many posts.

7. Lu ManiaK

Lu ManiaK Registered

It isn't a priority then...we already get it. It is not something to work on in.

8. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I think you have a point here, I never understood why SLI got no support in rF2. Even more knowing rF2 is very ressource demanding. Probably only ISI/S397 can answer. I don't have SLI, because of knowing rF2 doesn't support it, otherwise I would, because it would have been a lot easier to simply buy a cheap second card and "double" the performance ... Now as a VR user GPU power is even more important, but also knowing that SLI doesn't work for VR at least till now. Although NVIDIA always promised they have a solution, but when?

Ari Antero and Lu ManiaK like this.
  9. Lu ManiaK

Lu ManiaK Registered

That is for sure another priority Vittorio.

10. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Answering my question by myself. I took peak users of the last 48 hours: 746 rF2 users, 2.742 (i take only 50% so 1371, because it is half sim and half arcade) AC users, 0 iRacing users (iRacing isn't even on steam), 16.791.023 steam users last 48h -> so there are 0.012% racing simulator users on steam in total. So please take this number as a reference whenever you compare Steam Stats.

11. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

I think don`t ISI want`s to share game excusable`s with Nvidia simply becourse gMotor/pMotor is also used to professional simulation and ISI likes to protect they software.
    Nvidia is like Linus Torvalds says the worst trouble spot in hardware marked and have 80% of the sales. It is long time a go when I read first time from VRWorks about VR SLI, two yeas, two GPU`s and it is still not working is simply amazing :eek:

vittorio likes this.
  12. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Last week I was sitting in the same conference room with Linus Torvalds in Prague. When we walked out of the room he said "sorry" to me although i pushed him. So this is a nice guy with manners and he is completely right what he says about NVIDIA.

Sorry for being ultra off topic, but I had to tell this story because it makes me proud :)

Ozzy and Ari Antero like this.
  13. Christian Wolter

Christian Wolter Registered

For me, VR is en must have Feature for an actual Racing Simulation. Since VR is possible, VR is that Feature that move Sims to another Level. The next Problem is that RF2 is not the most used Sim on the Market but is the best Sim on the Market, a good VR Experience ist one of the Points that can User move to RF2....

14. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

VR is probably one of best thing for immersion (not test = not sure).

The question is :

- how many rf2 users or simracers are using in the end of
    2017 VR ? 10/20/30 % ??
    - What is the most important : immersion (VR/ graphics/headphysics etc) OR realism ? That is not the same thing, not the same importance, not the same priority.

I speak for me.

15. stonec

stonec Registered

Yeah, those are good questions, how many VR users are there?

According to Steam stats there is a ~700 users peak per day. From that we can maybe optimistically assume that number of unique regular and active users is around 1500. So how many of those use VR? I think less than 10%. I race in FSR, which is quite a big community of 100+ racers, and I know of one person that uses VR. I think there are some potential VR users that are not interested as long as game lacks lock to horizon etc. I also think VR+DX11 is good marketing and might bring some new non-VR players. But number of VR players in rF2 community is small from what I have seen.

dadaboomda likes this.
  16. Emery

Emery Registered

It was interesting to read Race Department's thread on "What features are missing from sims?" and compare it to what we have in rF2... a lot of features that are asked for already exist here! Championship creating/tabulating, track school, more realistic damage (*), and fully functional rain were the four most requested items that rF2 doesn't have.

(*) Ironically, a lot of examples were of parts falling off during impacts, which is already available in just about all sims, but often not implemented. Vertex deforming was next, for tire barriers, guardrails & cars, but the real thing we don't have is energy dissipation.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  17. Christian Wolter

Christian Wolter Registered

If you have not played VR before, you can not talk about it :), I have been playing racing simulations for more than 20 years now and have actually played all the ones that exist, currently they are:

RaceRoom
    iracing
    Assetto Corsa
    PCars1 and 2
    Automobilista

No feature or development of recent years has made racing simulation more realistic than VR. The effect is insane. Of course, I know that the market is currently very small overall and of course the market of RF2 is even smaller, but that's not the problem. Not only are users switching because of a feature, but they are changing because of the overall package, and VR is one of the most important ones, especially for the future.
    I think RF2 goes absolutely in the right direction with Studio 397, people should just be patient (and yes, you already have patience with ISI, but that's out of date).

juanchioooo likes this.
  18. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Regular active user should be around 10000. The 2 week player value is a more reliable figure for this.

In our community which has about 40 regular drivers I would say that around 20% of them own a VR device. I would expect 10-15% to be a more realistic figure to be applied to the regular 10K users. So I expect around 1000-1500 VR rF2 users.

For AC I would expect around 10K VR users out of the 80K regular players.

rFactor2
    Screenshot_20171105-215817.png

Assetto Corsa
    Screenshot_20171105-220233.png

19. Tnadz

Tnadz Registered

I can say that my league does this exact thing. We actually run NASCAR racing 2003. This is because of the way of modifying racing settings, paints and mods available, low system requirements. Primarily, it's because it has a strong and established way for tracking standings and good AI. We want to switch badly to rf2 but until the new interface is worked out, we're stuck.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  20. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Yep, every time a thread like this appear I see a lot of AC players requesting features already present in rF2. IMO that just shows how potentially big rF2 could be considering AC has that many players.
    Why they dont play rF2... that's something S397 should be thinking and working to get them here (especially bringing the modders back)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    bwana likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.