Latest Roadmap Update -October 2017

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Oct 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liakjim

liakjim Registered

I am really interested about tyres updates.
    I don't actually understand the terminology used in road map but I hope that in the end this will address the only current issue that IMO there is , and that is that tyres when on or over the limit they lack detail and depth and they are too forgiving. Especially compared to AC which is the king in that area. IMO.
    If this happens I will change my main sim as in every other department regarding handling / feeling , rf2 simply excels.
    Is there someone that knows more about this stuff and explains more about what is mentioned about tyres?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Thanks for the Roadmap, I'd like to start with this piece:

- A final thing we reported on is improved spotter code. To be honest, there the community has come up with a great alternative, Crew Chief, so we’re reconsidering what we should be focusing on here.
    Now I know this (fabulous) program is made for many different Sims, but for me something like this should really be in game and not a separate program. I would therefore love it if you collaborated with the Crew Chief Team and included it into the new UI structure somehow, that is of course if the Crew Chief Team would be willing too as well. I think that would make an excellent addition to the default RF2 personally, just a Wish though of course :)

Other areas of note:

- The Tire explanations by Michael are great, even though that technology is way over my head it's great to read sections like this as it can give those of us with less knowledge a little more insight into the inner workings. This also shows that Devs are not immune to past accidental mistakes & errors, so just like Reiza (Niels) owning up and explaining what was wrong and is now right it is very much appreciated and I for one am hugely thankful.

- Progress on Zandvoort and our first Radical have been slow, and we expect both to be completed in 2018. This is more of a 'concern' for me, Zandvoort was obviously pushed out for the WFG Competition which was fine but I would've liked to see it pushed to a final release instead of being held back by a new track release. I would personally prefer older items to be completed and reading about this & the Radical is disappointing, it gives more reason for the Sim to stay a "Beta" when items are left unfinished for longer periods of time.

- Shadows work, looking forward to this update. It's been long established that Shadows in RF2 are a performance killer which is partly to be expected as they are Dynamic but any optimisations are very much welcomed. I'll do another VR Benchmark (should time allow) to see the performance increase for those that are interested.

- DX11/HUD/UI, With this area I'm more than happy to wait for it to be good enough before my consumption as I know how technically challenging it must be to fit it all together. Whilst some aspects have clearly taken longer than you have anticipated that is to be expected and I for one wish no rush in completion, even though I'm sure you want us to have the goodies as soon as you can :)

- New Track, as above I'd rather Zandvoort was finished first but a new track is never a bad thing, I can only hope it's an Aussie Track...near Darwin...hidden in a Valley somewhere...;)

3. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

4. Mulero

Mulero Registered

Any improvement is welcome but problem with the shadows is not the performance, is that even in Max they look terrible seeing how they draw a few meters in front of the car. Although for me the most important problem is that even with shadows Off the performance was much lower than in DX9 with shadows to Max.

Shadows Off.png

Current performance on DX11 is unacceptable. In DX9 it was always bad in comparison with the rest of the games, but nowadays ...

@Marcel Offermans I hope that the performance improvement becomes a priority for S397. Current requirements are disproportionate and are preventing many from enjoying the game with an acceptable graphic quality.

dadaboomda, liakjim, SteveK and 3 others like this.
  5. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

you can also go to pCAR2, if it seems unacceptable , if he does not accept something because he continues with it, it is a contradiction

6. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

the people who graphically feel more than physically will continue to run with f1 codemaster, great tourism, pcars or other games, but they are just that games, not simulation, I do not understand how they continue comparing pcars in the rfactor forum, that they go to the pcars forum to talk about how beautiful your game is. I complain about things in the rfactor 2 forum about rfactor 2, I do not compare, each one chooses to simulate, studio 397 is compromised with rfactor 2, I complain about things to be fixed, constructive criticism, it's how I see it

if something is misunderstood I'm sorry it's because of the translator

Badboy likes this.
  7. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

And one would asume that people, when comparing dx9 to dx11, are disabling all new features first - often this is not the case though...

Sucratzz, bwana, Flaux and 1 other person like this.
  8. Bruce0440

Bruce0440 Registered

I am agree with you. Only I miss Formula E and new online system competition information.

9. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

Not more gargabe than your posts I'm sure.

10. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

go play the garbage that you call pcars

11. Mulero

Mulero Registered

Maybe you should go to play PCARS2 since you quote it in each post. In case you do not know, performance is very important in a simulation. Higher frame rate means lower imput lag.

DX11 should have brought a performance improvement, but instead the drop has been 25% with the same conditions. Performance was bad on DX9 and now it is unacceptable TO ME. And you are right, rF2 is not the only sim here. If S397 wants someone to sell some DLC, it is better for them to begin to wake up, because for one reason or another, every day there are fewer people happy with rF2.

dadaboomda and demerzel like this.
  12. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Fake News Mulero, unless perhaps if you are running a GTX660 or older.

bwana likes this.
  13. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

Can we please keep it civil in here?

lagg, SteveK, Seven Smiles and 9 others like this.
  14. Paulo Silva

Paulo Silva Registered

Hello everyone!
    Firstly, my native language is Brazilian Portuguese, so if English is not correct, it's google translator.
    I knew this game when I was looking for simulation of races and I did a deep research until I saw that rfactor 2 was the best physics and FFB. I did not think twice I bought the lifetime license, it took me hours and hours to learn to take a lap at interlagos worthily. Where I want to go with this, I come here every day and it's really frustrating how people deal with the development of the game, complain about everything to those who support the game, complain about the DLC, the clues, everything that is possible, if they are not glad to play another game the choice is individual, I chose to play only Rfactor 2 and even with all the difficulties is a very good game with potential and amuses me.
    Now the S397 picks up the game removes it from the vegetative state and the new mood of life, and you complain they run out of patience? take a vote of confidence and see what the people are doing for the game and for us. well, I do not have the financial conditions well established, but when possible I will buy all the DLCs that will come out with great pleasure, because I like the game and I want it to develop, if they created a kitty to help in the development I would also help.
    Until now all the games of the genre that I have left leave something to be desired, if this is the reality. Not all our will will be met, think or anything we want, real life is like this.

To S397:
    Congratulations on the work, continue to evolve this simulator that we like very much, and always look forward to good news know the difficulties of getting a business and impuse it, we are here to support you and when necessary we will give constructive criticism in order to see Rfactor 2 where it should being at the top, always among the best.

There, i said it...

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Great update , big thanks
    Been distracted from sim racing with other stuff but looking forward to coming back to it
    Studio 397 are doing a grand job

Dare I ask is the new track mentioned laser scanned ?

muzikant and dadaboomda like this.
  16. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

The valley would be nice.
    If you didn't know I have a hidden valley. Its not the best but does the job.
    Its in my steam workshop

pkelly, MarcG and Eddy like this.
  17. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I have questions on two more items that escaped my mind last night:
    1- Any word on documentation for new shaders?
    2- Is the tire eureka holding up documentation and also release (or creation) of the tire sets that were previously allured?

18. kimbo

kimbo Registered

Absolutely agree with everything you have written

gabrielof likes this.
  19. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

at the beginning dx11 beta was very bad, but currently with an 8350 fx and an nvidia gtx1060 6gb, 8gb of RAM, for me everything is perfect, full HD, the post effect is on ultra, and I have blocked at 70 fps, I'm going great one screen only 1920/1080

20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I think I have a few lying around!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.