Latest Roadmap Update - June 2018

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Marcel Offermans, Jun 30, 2018.

1. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Just talking about my experience with games nothing else. If you can't cope with that ...

2. Filip

Filip Registered

If you want to enforce only realistic stuff on the screen then minimum config for the game would be triples or VR and very strong gfx card.

2ndLastJedi and Adam Helyes like this.
  3. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

VR wasn't a thing when GPL and GTR2 were created and most people were using 4:3 monitors, yet information was integrated in a more immersive and realsitic way and people were still able to race properly. You are mixing up hardware limitations and the evolution of devices with conscious design desicions, wich for example HUDs are. That's where rF2 does pretty well in the pile of modern sims when I take a look at the integration of the flag system via animated marshals or flag lights on modern tracks. It's a good opportunity to extend this kind of approach to other areas of the sim. I don't know why people are questioning realistic approaches in a forum for a simulation, but well. Forcing certain aspects of gameplay is indeed what makes a sim a sim. Despite the fact, that costomization is one of rF2s biggest strong points, there are still a few areas that can be improved for sure to make the sim more realsitic. Isn't this the reason why we are playing simulation games, or am I missing something?

Louis likes this.
  4. lagg

lagg Registered

Is it possible to use SimHub only for start lights, and when the race has started the overlay disappears?
    If this were possible there wouldn't be impact on the performance, no?
    This could be a good alternative for people who need start lights.
    It's a question. I don't know if it's possible. I don't use SimHub.

5. Martin Vindis

Martin Vindis Registered

I've been waiting for a road map like this. More focus on performance boosting and bug fixes than new content, love it.

Can't wait for the update to the GT3's after driving the GTE's for a while now.

I also get >50% drop with rain so it's not only VR that needs a performance boost here. Would love to se some performance boost during night races as well, not nearly as taxing as rain but still enough to keep be away from it. A combination of the two would be awesome but I realize I need a new computer for that.

Keep it up S397

Adrianstealth likes this.
  6. ceecee

ceecee Registered

When we tried Simhub a couple of months ago there was a lapse in data shown, cannot remember if the same applied to the start lights.
    I do agree, big fat start lights in the middle of the screen is a bit of a downer but, something needs to be done in order to clearly know when the race has started if one is not at the sharp end of the grid.
    Still curious how much of the lights/start flag a F1 driver can see from the back of the grid.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  7. AMillward

AMillward Registered

image.png
    Not a lot by the looks of it

2ndLastJedi, Nitrometh and ceecee like this.
  8. Filip

Filip Registered

Mirrors, starting lights, HUD are necessary helpers for people playing on laptops etc.
    How can you force realistic view on people like me when on correct FOV of 18 on 17inch laptop I can't see dashboard let alone external mirrors?
    So I need virtual mirrors and HUD to see stuff I would see in a real car.
    I am at huge disadvantage to real driver on my "rig".
    Also would you say that ffb strength shouldn't be adjustable because someone could tone it down for easier faster steering?

9. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Ok so we are going to need the binocular plugin then ! :D

10. Filip

Filip Registered

I am quite certain most real life f1 drivers don't see a blurry 640*480 world

Here lights are seen from pits

Louis likes this.
  11. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I play at a screen of 19 inches wich isn't much better. In your and my case playing at the perfect FOV isn't possible so it is better to make a compromize anyway. At the end it is a matter of hardware for sims in general. Taking your way of argumentation: why isn't rF2 programmed to work best for a keyboard and not a steering wheel? Why isn't DCS designed in a way that it works without a joystick? To put it more extreme: why isn't rFactor 2 designed to run on an n64? Do I blame S397 that I have to tweak the graphic settings so that it runs at 60 fps on my system? But I guess you will get your options anyway once the UI hits the shelf as I don't see S397 making the game stricter. I guess it will be the opposite, to make the game the game more accesible. So you can propably stay relaxed. One thing I can tell you for sure though is that I don't miss starts with the way rF2 works currently, even on my small screen. ;)

12. Flaux

Flaux Registered

These days I only see talks about downshift protection and virtual starting lights...

Not sure how to feel about it.

AMillward and Martin Vindis like this.
  13. Adam Helyes

Adam Helyes Registered

There is no starting lights in Nola. (I cant seen) This is one problem: D
    On other tracks it is pale. If these two problems were not, I would not say a word.

14. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I dont use track map , HUD, virtual mirror or adjust FOV as I use VR nor do I want start lights hovering in my screen , i haven't adjusted the audio and if the game was optimised perfectly I wouldn't need graphical options , just have full setting and be good to go !
    Im pretty sure the seat in all cars has either an adjustment or has been set up for the driver before the race .
    Id prefer full realistic everything except the pain, suffering and cost that can come from real racing and crashing .

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  15. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Only so its not clipping ;)

16. Filip

Filip Registered

Good for you, as I said of course there is no need for such stuff in VR

17. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

There's just as much need or lack there of for a track map or HUD in VR as flat screen ! I didn't use all this stuff before when I only used flat screens .
    If going for full realistic, try and see only what you would see in the real car .
    But like DP , all these options should be just that i guess , options to be able to be toggled on and off for those who need or want the arcade experience and dont want to go full arcade like Forza or GT .

18. Filip

Filip Registered

You are admitting that compromise is the only option for people that don't have top hardware.
    So you set up high FOV to have unrealistic distorted view with unrealistic depth perception but to see realistic mirrors.
    I choose realistic FOV and unrealistic mirrors as a compromise.

Btw I don't care much about starting lights, just wanted to point out why same setup doesn't work for all people. If someone is using 1024*768 resolution with low anti-aliasing then I guess he needs big unrealistic starting lights in center of the screen.
    And I don't get your questions. RF2 works best with wheel but also works with keyboard. For people without wheel.

19. AMillward

AMillward Registered

I think we're never going to achieve the realism levels people want.

20. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

it exists, it's called real life lol