Latest Roadmap Update - February 2018!!!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Feb 28, 2018.

1. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I know it's "just a game".

But I'm looking forward to a huge improvement in performance.

Since the beginning of the beta dx11, the performance of rf2 at home is relatively catastrophic. That's the least I can say.

I prefer that they make V1 really successful.

But frankly, I'm very impatient.
    But ... what's more normal than waiting !!

2. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

I don't understand why you guys are so upset...I can see a great sim for my grandchildren in the near...
    ...futur...
    ...nevermind...

3. stonec

stonec Registered

Since Christmas update, DX11 performance should be the same or better as DX9 if you have a modern GPU:

[​IMG]

bwana, deceda, emha76 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Mulero

Mulero Registered

I have a modern GPU (RX570) and the current performance is well below the DX9 version.

DX9 129 0,00%
    DX11 94 -27,18%

DX9 vs DX11.png

Louis likes this.
  5. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I think that before it was really necessary to say, to repeat and to repeat again that the performance was bad, really (by bringing elements to help S397 understand the problems).

Now that they have taken the problem very seriously and that they have prioritized on this development, we can no longer complain .....

.......just be eventually like me very impatient !

6. Louis

Louis Registered

Imo, no one in this industry is trying to give finished products anymore. Dont expect too much of the new update. Few good things for sure, a lot that will take another couple years to get fixed.

In the meantime they will sell one dlc or another, hardware industry releases some new products, they start to code taking new specs as average requirements pointing that is your fault now that the game doesn´t perform well and keeping user base around talking about the product on social media how awesome was the last update and.. "look what they will bring soon..."

UsedMomo, mesfigas and peterchen like this.
  7. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Come on Louis, I am sure you do not believe that, you are normally quite positive !
    And wait like the rest of us for a positive update :)
    S397 have some seriously clever people (look at Marcel's background and a longtime hardcore simmer too !).
    Rome was not built in a day (or Paris or....) ;)
    In the meantime we are still racing our asses off, not as if rF2 is not working.

8. Louis

Louis Registered

I'm amazed you that you see me like this. But to be fair, i try to be positive. Thanks.
    Its just this thing doesn´t seems to change. Year after year, one company to another.

9. LokiD

LokiD Registered

i do somehow sympathise - not that i discredit these devs and the work they put in. But i do experience Sim racing depression, when it seems there is a rut, in that i find myself in these titles. Nothing seems to be updating or nothing seems to be new or evolutionising the genre and it seems how louis describes. One could say i need to venture online racing. I have trialed iracing and enjoyed my few months at it. However i cant sustain the cost and the time to race that sim - then theres the commitment of leagues. I have a family with a often overtime asking job, i wouldn't want to commit knowing i could let the guys down.

With rf2 it does seem the waits between updates are painful and not entirely - for now- much seem to be changing, on top of cars that areon all kinds of tyre models (I'm talking stock content - how can i trust mods?!). I know s397 is small, and havent been on the sim long and there is a lot to be done on rf2 - yes it is raceable, but i don't seem to race it long, i don't know why. I seem to do a combo race the hell out of it for a night then don't touch the game in weeks..

its a strange one alright, maybe that's just gaming.....

10. ceecee

ceecee Registered

My pleasure :)
    But I do agree with you fully, I have been in business most of my life but today there does not seem to be that pride in product anymore, releasing unfinished (and then never finished) products every day.
    I makes me mad too !
    But then for S397 to take on a dying Class A project and to rebuild it, at the same time bring it to contemporary standards ?
    An amazing mountain to climb !
    No-one does this anymore, meet the disposable society, kill the product and rerelease it under a new name, that is what is done today, to satisfy the shareholders and the banks.
    This is not what we can say about the reason we all gather here together.
    As impatient as we all are, we cannot forget, rF2 is a unique product and is going to take time to bring to 2018.
    Most would have given up by now but luckily for us, there are those who have not.
    I now climb back off my soapbox :D
    Come on guys, lets stay positive !

11. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Sorry to tell you, but the times that a team could develop a software, test release candidates and release the final software (which got burned on EPROM, flash or CDs) are simply gone. But you know this too of course. Software+content now is in the range of GBytes and will always have errors. The only thing you can look for is, that there is a competent team constantly developing the software+content and that this team have enough income to do that. I think with S397 we have such a team and I hope there is enough income (DLCs, new useres ..) that S397 are able to continue this ongoing work.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  12. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

S397 released the DX11/VR beta in May 2017. That was a pretty fast development from the point they took over. Comparatively, iRacing seemed to take about 2 years to do a similar port. Obviously there was a lot of fixing and massaging of that initial beta release, and then we got the 1109 update and 'retire DX9' by December 2017, which added revised lighting, rain, moving wipers etc. and a partial HUD update. So we are definitely due the 'performance' update hopefully in April or May, which would be about a year. This matches the iRacing timeline where they eventually retired DX9 and added new shaders and popcornFX for dirt/debris/marbles. It's taken at least 2 years for dynamic day/night to come on iRacing, and its still not here. But its important to keep seeing these graphical improvements with decent regularity because they are trying to overcome a perception of a product that was very dated in this specific area. Other than this, though, there don't seem to have been many improvements come to the 'core' sim and I feel a few rumblings of discontent starting on this front.

The other area that's obviously had a LOT of dev time within S397 is the new UI. Interestingly, iRacing has also been implementing an HTML-based UI over the top of their app. And its been little short of a complete disaster. I think it was probably 3 years from when they first talked about the concepts/showed mockups until they released the beta. And even then, it doesn't overlay to true 'sim live/replay screen'. They've tied that to a backend rewrite of storing race results and querying that, and we are now at 3+ months of them completely having broken display of championship/series stats and results, with no signs of this getting fixed and 'back to how it was'. It broke the old website UI and the new in-sim UI! Performance is especially dire. This accounts for probably only about 1/3 of the total new interface having been designed/built. As I remember PC1, they rebuilt the UI twice in 3 years. Frustrated as we may be, this is all evidence to suggest this was always going to be a much bigger job than we'd all appreciated for S397.

So I think that, other than for new content development and also the new developer documentation, its been 'OK' on the dev pace but obviously there are major pieces we still haven't yet seen. It's important to keep seeing significant updates regularly, though, because I think there are expectations out there about how frequent/large they should be given the 'resurrection' of the title that is still on-going.

13. Louis

Louis Registered

i will not say its "ok, nice" just because is the new way,

14. Louis

Louis Registered

Fifa series like, I know, not even close a good thing too

15. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

In rF2 case killing it and releasing a new one would be best/faster and with less stuff to worry about (compatibility with old mods). Not always is a matter of "disposable society". Sometimes it's just strategy, sense, stability of the business.
    The more I think about it, the more it looks like they were not allowed to drop and restart. I mean... some excuse like licenses have been used, but what are the super licenses that is worth keeping them? I haven't seen any that is worth before they added the GT3 and Sebring.
    Of course from a business side it may make sense to do what they are doing, only the guy running it all to tell :)

mb24064 and DaVeX like this.
  16. Louis

Louis Registered

Sorry, but maybe i did not make me understand right. I do not want constant updates or constant new stuff just because if its new, it must be good.
    In fact, im quite oppositte of this ongoing development stuff. This sucks. Imo, It should started with all basic features and updates should be for small stuuf like upsidedown steward in the middle of track. If not able to start like this, tell when you will be able to deliver the basic stuff so i can comeback to check

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  17. stonec

stonec Registered

Ongoing development model is the only choice for small studios. It took ten years to get rF2 where it is today (development started somewhere around 2008 after rF1 was done with). If they had waited ten years for it to be complete and released it this year, they would have long ago ran bankrupt. The only way that model would work is for some hobby project where developers get paid null salary.

LokiD likes this.
  18. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Off topic but the past three days rf2 has updated when I launch it,so three little updates,my spidey senses are tingling for a nice March road map

AMillward likes this.
  19. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Not being an iRacing player, this info is new to me, very interesting read.
    The parallels are quite similiar if I read this correctly about the UI Html interface.
    Thanks for the info, burgesjl !

gabrielof likes this.
  20. Louis

Louis Registered

Despite pcars did something like this, i agree with this argument. But going in this way, imo, the communication with supporters/customers should be much more transparent and open about what to expect, when, more dev posts in support and technical areas, etc. This say "its done when its done" didnt work for Isi and will not work for s397. Imo