Latest Roadmap Update - August 2017

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Marcel Offermans, Aug 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

Are you telling me both the options can't exist? If I have 1 hour for simracing I have to spend 30-45 min on Motec because you guys feel the urge to simulate real life? Seriously? No matter if a game or a SIM,it should be scalable, it should give a way to enjoy it no matter if casual player or not...

2. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

For me learning what setups options do,and then learning how to use motec,and then how to make sense of the data was half the fun of my sim racing hobby,granted,iracing becoming seriously boring due to their physics and tyre model may have helped me look into telemetry,but I'd like to think it's a natural progression for sim racers.

I agree too,aero maps take a long time to generate using telemetry,I never actually learned how to do that,but Motec is much much more than just producing aero maps,being able to dissect a corner and optimise for the most important ones is to valuable not to have.
    I think the best of both worlds would be to have motel built into game,or plugin,and have either aero maps provided or at least an aero calculator provided,personally this should only apply to high downforce cars though.
    Wind tunnels,if done right and not Arcady,would probably be beyond rf2,due to needing cfd to be run in realtime.
    Please correct me if rf2 could infact run realtime cfd

3. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

As I said, real teams have a perfectly defined physic model of a car. How does that help to setup the car if you don't put the car on the track? Real teams analyse telemetry and believe me they have fully parametrized the car in the wind tunnel and other bench tests.

Telemetry analysis is not easy. That's why teams hire a lot of engineers for its analysis. It is hard to assume that those having the talent, intuition and experience setting up the car, have a clear advantage over those who don't.

4. Comante

Comante Registered

I think what he was saying, was that as data are generated via simulation, and not via real world acquisition, you should not need to extract them and pass them to motec to have them analyzed, because a part of the simulation could work on the car data on his own, to do analysis without an external software. It would be quite interesting to be able to have a "simulator into the simulator" , but what appear a straightforward thing, could be a very complex programming deed.

5. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

It would be probably much more useful if own AI (not rivals) would run real physics (tires) and could be used to determine effectiveness of every setup action. With time acceleration enabled testing would be much faster.

AI obtained telemetry is incomplete regarding several channels showing simplified physics.

However, I wonder... if AI drove real physics how would it run? Would AI be able to follow the fast path as with simplified physics?

Only devs know probably. I would expect much worse since I don't think integrated AI can drive real physics. Their inputs are probably based on fake parameters like% of grip available.

There are some interesting real contests about AI driving real cars and competing each other.

6. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Can be done in Moddev, using ctrl+i (AiSpecialHDVControl)

7. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Does it generate full motec logs?

If so why don't they implement this option for regular single player? Having real physics running on own AI wouldn't be a problem for CPU.

And it would be very helpful for fast testing setups. My two cents.

demerzel and 2ndLastJedi like this.
  8. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Oh , didnt know this :( no wonder the NSX is the best car in the game ! :eek:

9. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

AI runs on rF1 physics... wasn't enough before rF2 to have a good setup with Motec?

10. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

No. It wouldn't help improving setup in rF1. Also in rF1 the AI would improve times throughout the session, making it difficult to account for setup influence. There was no real road technology in rf1 to justify it. Perhaps without this variable it might have been useful.

In rF2 it is useless since tires are different. However, according to MarcG the improving through the session seems to be corrected in rF2 if using static real road. I haven't tested this myself in rF2.

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

RF2 AI use real road to improve times just as a human would, don't think I ever mentioned anything regarding improvement with static road though (please link).

12. aguy0523

aguy0523 Registered

+1

You guys are obsessing over things that are way out of scope for this game. You're not engineering an aerodynamic package for a car or re-valving shocks for a bumpy circuit. Motec in this game isn't going to do anything for you. You don't need a wind tunnel to adjust a rear spoiler. It's already made. You just increase/decrease the value. This is a sim, not real life. If you want to see the car under braking just use instant replay and external views. You're going to spend hours staring at graphs, charts, numbers and some random dude is going to fly by you online who spent that time doing laps and paying attention to the FFB from the wheel. I've raced in real life, I've competed in a regional series, rF2 is a great sim but is miles away from real life racing.

The secret to being fast is laps. Laps, laps and then some more laps. It's about feeling/learning the car or in this case the FFB. Listen to the audio, focus on the visual cues on your screen. Make a small adjustment to the setup, and feel the difference the next lap out. This all sounds so familiar. Blame the car, blame the setup, blame the tires, blame the telemetry and then somebody else gets in the same car and goes 5 seconds faster and the original driver is sitting their speechless.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    McKiernan, Ernie, DaVeX and 2 others like this.
  13. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

That's what I said. You confirmed that it would NOT improve times in rF2. I am saying that it happened in rF1.

Her is the link of our last conversation about this.
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/toronto-2017.56052/#post-899175

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

ahh ok then

SPASKIS likes this.
  15. Martinb

Martinb Registered

If im running dx11 how do I go about getting the new ui?

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

It'll be in a Build when released (It's not out yet)

17. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

@Juergen-BY .
    I am not sure if you read my post.
    Can you (or other) confirm if the special AI control in dev mode generates complete logs as when a human is driving?

18. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Would be very easy to find that out ;-) Run a couple of laps with that HDVControl and check the log files. I`m not using Motec, so i cant tell you, if this log files are usefull for Motec or not.

SPASKIS likes this.
  19. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Considering how the AI do their imputs I think the files graphs would be a bit messed up

20. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I agree but probably some filtering would help. In any case the idea would be to compare between different setups.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.