Latest Release 1109 Rain Effects AND MORE!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

You must understand that we are talking about rFactor 2 performance in S397 forums and that those the reviews and tests by professionals in other games etc are totally irrelevant regarding rFactor 2 performance. ;)

Emery, Mulero and stonec like this.
  2. Amanda Santini

Amanda Santini Registered

@juanchioooo That's no excuse. If the physics calculations were the problem then there would be no reason for rF2 to run at 160 FPS on dry weather and 20-30 in rainy conditions.

The problem isn't even 'rain physics' as the older rain didn't have a noticeable impact on performance. The problem is with this new rain effects they just released.
    I don't know exactly what's wrong with it, but I believe the poor PCI-E 2.0 performance on rFactor 2, coupled with poor CPU usage and poorly optimized rain particles, results in the poorest performance in all racing/driving simulators to date.

Ari Antero likes this.
  3. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

I see that he still does not want to admit that he is wrong, rfactor 2 is badly optimized, we already know it.
    but it does not matter if you play one game that another, the pcie 2.0 is irrelevant, the best graphics card does not saturate it, and the rfactor is not worse because it carries 2.0 more than 1%
    Internet is full of this obviousness ...

a graphics card does mathematical calculations of physics, not just graphics, and rfactor is a heavy program.
    everyone is free to go where you want;):)

4. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

The problem is not that you don't know. The problem is that those who should know either don't care or don't know either. I havent seen a single official post regarding the issue.

In my experience I have seen several weird things affecting performance that don't make much sense (for saying it softly). It would seem that LODs or something gets wrong in the way. They suggest SEVERAL things being improperly debugged in several aspects:

- different performances in the same view and conditions simply by toggling the different available views. I have seen and reported this affecting cockpit and TV cameras. DX9 and DX11.

- problems with the detection of available GPU and display modes. DX11

- problems.of not properly using fullscreen mode. For some users Alt Tab or CTRL+F solves the issue. DX11. DX9 has the historical Alt Tab Issue that was never solved.

All these point at the lack of robustness of the code for many of these issues.

Amanda Santini likes this.
  5. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

@Amarildo Junior the 2.0 is not a problem, in the thread it was said that the gtx 1050 ti was going very low fps,and I said that the 1050th was poor for rfactor just that.
    I have said many times that things are going slowly and they will improve, with studio 397 rfactor has improved a lot, we have to let them work, the last update has worsened in performance ok, but our thing is to tell you the bug and errors , for that I think it is the forum, to inform help and improve, we will see more updates, they have not been finished !!!

6. Amanda Santini

I believe you're not getting what HE is trying to say.

He knows there shouldn't be a difference, he's just stating that while other games don't show a difference, rF2 does. And that's why it's kinda pointless to keep bringing the results of other games.

7. Amanda Santini

8. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

That data is uncertain, it's not like that! he says that 35% is better, and I say that 2.0 or 3.0 is not relevant, and I do not say it anymore, the internet is full of evidence;):cool:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  9. Amanda Santini

How so?

I'm convinced that yes, you did not get what we're saying.

10. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

it can not be that with all the games it is irrelevant, but with rfactor 2 if it is, the hardware works the same, you do not know games ...

11. stonec

stonec Registered

I agree that evidence means more than just saying something. Carefully measured tests etc. are needed. Let me show a few graphs:

1 (source):

[​IMG]

2 (source):

PCI-e@3.0 x16 > 155-210 fps
    [​IMG]

PCI-e@3.0 x8 (PCI-e@2.0 x16) > 115-165 fps
    [​IMG]

3 (this is my figure, I can't test with PCI-E 3.0 as I don't have it, but my 1050 Ti is not scaling with overclocking, so it's not the bottleneck):

rF2 scaling.png

Ari Antero and Amanda Santini like this.
  12. Amanda Santini

But that's NOT what he's saying. He's saying that it's irrelevant to rF2 as it's problematic with PCI-E 2.0. That shouldn't be too hard to understand.

And the problem is on the software side, i.e. rF2.

That's right. I'm a game developer, professional 3D artist, and I've been closely watching and reading about the gaming industry for over 12 years. I know nothing about them or how games work.

And when I say "rF2's PCI-E 2.0 support is bad and we know it's a problem, thus it doesn't make much sense to bring other games' results", and some people don't understand it, it's me who know nothing about games.

Well, I end here this discussion. There's no point in going any further as you clearly don't understand what we're trying to say.

qusimano, SPASKIS and Ari Antero like this.
  13. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Call me moron but I ordered my PC without OS :)
    I will have now to wait a few days before I can test my new PC which gives very nice light and a smooth fan noise!!! It combines great with the Christmas Tree :)

BTW which OS would you recommend W8 W10? Pros Cons? I would like to start using my DK2. You can point to a related thread if you know one and I'll continue there to avoid offtopic here.

Thanks in advance

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@juanchioooo this is a typical forum 'argument', where people keep talking around each other and are disagreeing about different things. I'm sure that 5 minutes physically in the same room would make everyone realise what they're all saying and everyone would be in agreement.

We all agree PCIe shouldn't matter. It doesn't matter in nearly all games.

But we know that in rF2 it does, currently (and by 'currently', I mean for 3 years+).

In 2014 a GTX770 showed a significant gain in rF2 by moving from x8 to x16. We know this shouldn't happen. But in rF2 it does.

When people post, in the rF2 forum, that PCIe doesn't matter, people who know rF2 will reply and say that it does, in rF2.

We're not saying that's how it should be. We're not denying it's an issue with rF2. And I think, really, you're not saying it's not a problem in rF2. You're speaking generally, others are talking about rF2.

15. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

I did not know that a port pcie 2.0 knows if you play with rfactor 2 or with any other game, it's incredible ........ human stupidity has no limits...

16. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

With windows 10 you can just download it onto a usb drive and install from there,it’s in the microsfoft website,so no need to order a solid copy and wait for shipping.
    I’ve never tried windows 8,windows 10 can be a pain in the ass,some updates remover all the latest drivers and reinstall the generic ones for me

SPASKIS likes this.
  17. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I am already doing it

patchedupdemon and pkelly like this.
  18. Amanda Santini

Tell me about it. We're here saying rFactor 2 itself doesn't play nice with PCI-e 2.0, and some people think we're saying the port is the problem and/or that somehow it magically knows when we're playing rFactor 2 ;)

But I guess you're right, human stupidity indeed has no limits :rolleyes:

John, SPASKIS and Mulero like this.
  19. Mulero

Mulero Registered

This topic is getting boring now and you seem to have very little idea what you are talking about. I recommend a small reading and so, perhaps, be able to understand what they are talking about.

https://www.lifewire.com/pci-express-pcie-2625962

The only important thing about the Pcie port is the bandwidth. In the following table you can see the values for each specification:

Pcie.png

The problem with rF2 is that it is exceeding 64 Gbit/s, which is the limit of the Pcie 2.0 x16 port. With an Rx 570 I am having an average use of about 75 Gbit/s with peaks over 110 Gbit/s. It is not a problem for me since my Pcie port is 3.0 x16, but if it was 2.0 it would already be a bit limited by the bandwidth. Now imagine with a 1080ti, which yields more than twice as much as an RX 570. Even in Pcie 3.0 x16 it has to be limited in rF2.

20. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered