Latest Physics Blog Update: New off-road tyre features.

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

2. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Haven't read anything about it but does this mean gravel traps will now actually work?

3. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

Let the Stadium Trucks come ;)

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I think it is more for momentary sliding off the racing surface and then re-entering. Not desert off-road pickup tires.
    Back when ISI was first entering the F1 arena, their tires had a horrible tendency to retain heat if you over-cooked a corner. The next two or three corners would be like driving on ice. It was later improved, but it sounds like the off-road excursion still retained at least some of this not-reality-based heat build-up.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

So suggested grass heat parameter is 0.06 vs the default (and previously hardcoded) 1.0 - a reduction of 16.6x !

Welcomed, and honesty appreciated. This will help a lot with this issue.

@2ndLastJedi No, it's not what you think it's about. Assuming you still haven't taken the 2 mins to read it.

6. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

Nice to see this kind of "evolution" on the sim.

Suggestions for the next updates @Michael Borda :
    - tire blow up.
    - transmission damage.
    - down shifting protection.
    - Add 12 levels of ABS and traction control inside setup and made them adjustable on track. (Forget the game driving aids).

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    Amanda Santini and T.Hartmann like this.
  7. AMillward

AMillward Registered

So... Rallycross is happening?

This. Or have it separate from the main driver aids section. Don't know about anyone else but in AC at least I set the TC to have just a little bit of slip and you can't really get that in RF2.

Amanda Santini likes this.
  8. Kevin18

Kevin18 Registered

Yes you can get that. You can use low setting and the person who makes the car can set TC low at any percent they want. However, TC is too simple in the rfactor physics engine.

Check out Live for Speed's complex traction control systems. Much more realistic and its 10 or 15 years old. Same with differentials if I remember correctly.

Traction control should be changed. Current method in rf2 is more like a driving aid for safety than how traction control functions in real race cars. Even if you set it to low, it's still the same type of TC but just allows more slip. In real life and LFS it's much more sophisticated than just being defined by 0-100% slip.

I don't use traction control and don't drive any cars that have traction control but it would be cool to have more sophisticated TC coding in the physics engine and same with differential and the internal combustion engine modelling (Richard Burns Rally comes to mind).

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  9. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Only use it in GTs and LMPs. That's it.

10. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Thanks Mate , i was in the middle of some important stuff and to be honest just saw the thread in passing and asked the question not knowing if it was a novel or a paragraph , and was hoping for a quick answer , like i got .
    Will endeavour to read it later tonight though ;)

11. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

It is a good addition to be able to specify how much of the heat generated by tyre slip actually goes into the tire for both asphalt and offroad. This ratio should have been there from the beginning for ALL driveable surfaces.

For that reason, I disagree on that fraction being 100% for asphalt. Why should sliding friction between two surfaces only heat one of them? I would expect a more balanced ratio between how much heat goes to the tire and how much to asphalt.

IMO this new change proved that heat generating items (sliding, hysteresis) were not correlated as they should.

As a consequence of that, the cooling items (convection and ground conductance) have been adjusted to compensate them and provide a believable tire temperature.

12. Kevin Ryan

Kevin Ryan Registered

For a long time you've had an issue with every single tire in the sim delivering the best lap time with minimum (unrealistic) pressures. This issue is only exaggerated in the gt3s. Are there any plans to correct this?

Karei and ebeninca like this.
  13. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

I don't think that rF2 (and any actual sims) is able to manage different temps for different portions of the track surface, for example the little portion where the tire is sliding, i may be wrong of course.
    I'm very far to be a physics expert, but the temp increase should't be huge for the tire and minimal for the asphalt/any ground surface? Different materials, density, hardness etc.

14. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

How do you know they are unrealistic? Curious.

15. elbo

elbo Registered

This minimum pressure...is it not the minimum allowable pressure? Example F1 mandates the minimum pressure that can be run and the teams pretty much all go to that pressure to run the races so I would tend to say that it is normal that the lowest allowable pressure gives you the best time.

16. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Minimum tire pressures 'should' provide a one or two lap best lap time. But we should be able to craft a tire sidewall that overheats due to flex[caused by the low tire pressures.] Thus there should be some sort of penalty provided by the tire itself to those who use minimum pressures. The tire should overheat faster and lose grip or suffer increased wear. Tire manufacturers often impose minimum safe tire pressures AND camber angles. We sim-racers don't have Dunlop or Michelin engineers looking over our shoulders so we should be constrained by the tire itself. Go ultra low pressures for a hot-lap or qualifying, but pay the price in the race if you do.[parc ferme rules could be especially draconic then]

17. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

How do we know the minimum pressures in game aren’t these minimum manufacturer stated pressures

18. Amanda Santini

Amanda Santini Registered

Also:

- Motec displays have actual fonts and data it has on the real car;
    - We can actually change the on-wheel display, instead of a hud display;

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  19. T.Hartmann

T.Hartmann Registered

Viva la (R)Evolution :)
    Just amazing!

20. d0nd33