Released Latest Build Update rFactor 2 - 1.1119 Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Alexandre Martini

Alexandre Martini Registered

i5 7600, 16gb ram and a gtx 1080.

should run with the oculus rift cv1 in medium graphics with 20 cars on track right?

at least that's what i could do in iracing, which has simpler graphics in my opinion.

but it does not.

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

so you could run simpler graphics, then does that not imply that more complex graphics would perform poorer? Also 'medium' is not a firm standard. Medium is a suggestion by a company and may not be even remotely close to another company's 'medium.' Just too may variables to make a blanket statement.

3. Alexandre Martini

Alexandre Martini Registered

edit: so, just to be clear, i'm using vr.

yeah, when i say i could run simpler graphics and more cars on track on medium, i mean that i can see track side objects like grandstands, i can have simple shadows, many cars racing in the distance and good performance.

in rfactor, the simpler you can get is not enough, because it cuts down too much and performance gains are not visible.

i'm just saying it's unacceptable to have a racing simulator where you cannot see the main grandstands and 20 cars at the same time, you know? i think s397 already did a great job with what they had, but they need to give us more options... vr is here to stay, but it's not being looked at with the proper eyes... it's just being treated as another viewing option for the same thing, which it's just not... vr demands better options, more levels of detail, simpler but still present objects (including cars... more than 10 cars).

4. Kahel

Kahel Registered

Yeah, Alexandre, you should be able to run it easily with your system. If it doesn't... out of the box, that on S397... and I wouln't blame you to be annoyed.
    Having said that, your performance issue is most likely not about track detail or Geometry rendering or LOD optimization.
    You can run rf2 without issue and with decent visual with your kind of system... thank god... but you need lot of tweaking trying to figure out what the best graphic options... and to make it even more difficult, there is 2 different graphics option menu to deal with... if you are still using the old UI.

PS: You can run rf2 with the same among of details as iracing in VR, that's about what I run around 90-100fps with triple screens... the issue is you need to be an expert on graphic tweaking (at least 5 years experience lol)... which should definitely not be the case.
    Try post process on low, AA on medium, 12 visible cars, everything else on max except... shadow, rain drop and environment reflection turned off... it would be a decent starting point and if you have enough perf like that then try shadow high with optimal blur and maybe higher AA if needed...

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    Alexandre Martini likes this.
  5. yashiman

yashiman Registered

Thank you for Update new UI and graphics.

I think graphics are pretty good, But I have some complaints.
    -Shadows appear when it rains. I think ACCs rain is realistic. rF2s are not real.
    -Rubber, Dust and murbles. is it older now? iRacing, ACC and GTS are more advanced.
    -Circuits and cars loading, there are very heavy. I using SSD for rF2, but it's slower than ACC in HDD.

Broadcasting systems are very good. I can't use custom overlay yet, I have a good feeling overall.
    If it raises the only problem, I want you to be able to use it for replay mode.
    I stream replay mode every week after the race at youtube.
    If I can use overlay in the replay, Stream will be more exciting! (laptimes, possion,controls etc. can not use)

about New UI.
    -Replay mode is can not watch time, posission, controls and more.
    gpu.jpg
    -I think the GPU load is high when the UI is moving. Can you lower it more? (cause? sometimes rF2 down).
    -And the screen flickers at Borderless and Windowmode. (Well, this is the same with the old UI.)
    -I want to add "exsiting game" in the rF2s icon. ( So, I can exit at every mode).
    -Driver names can not watch in the race (do not work TAB key). so I can not know relative possion. If you exclusion names, please add Relative possion window like a iR.
    wide.jpg
    -When Using tripple screen, Boxs monitor aspect are strange wider. Off corse, I know i better to use tripple screen mode, but its heavy fps so i dont want to use.

Others
    -In server replay files, can not come off car parts. Clients are ok. why?
    -Physics are not change a long time ago. I want some changes. (especially rain)
    -Please change S397s tires lists. I think they are a little bit older.
    -"Upgrades" function is very useful and its very unique at not other games. But I think it has a serious impact on Disconnection lags.
    I wish it anchor at least so we are able to play safer at multi.

I operating Japanese server since 6 years ago.
    Now The iR and ACC are very popular in Japan , but honestly, I think those physics are not so good.
    I looking forward to the development of Studio 397.

Best regards.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    Davvid and Adam Helyes like this.
  6. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Visible opponents makes a huge perf difference. True.

There's something to do here.

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

As your using VR you have to have compromises in some aspects, for starters it's pointless comparing to iRacing as that's using a different graphical engine altogether so ignore that.

My general advice for all VR usersis is this:
    Start with all lowest settings and work your way up until you find a nice balance across all tracks (and weather/night scenarios if you use them). Always bearing in mind different cars & tracks have different performances throughout the Sim, so what may work well on one track with a car type may not work well on another track with another car type.

General tips for VR;
    • As above use default SS until you're comfortable you can increase it
    • Shadows are very taxing
    • Visible Cars no more than 12, i personally run with 10 as only at race starts do i ever see that many cars. Unless on tight smaller circuits i increase it.
    • If you're not running in Rain turn it to Off

VR itself has had many performance optimisation passes since S397 introduced it to RF2, with the most recent (applicable across the board) the other week/day and possibly more to come in future. :)

vittorio and Alexandre Martini like this.
  8. Comante

Comante Registered

Recently has been introduced an option to improve VR performance, that is to renderer circular viewports instead of rectangular, but I think it has to be manually activated through a player.json parameter.

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Mask area you mean? Should be True by default I think:

"VR Enable Hidden Area Mask":true,
    "VR Enable Hidden Area Mask#":"Enable VR hidden area mask, may improve VR performance.",

10. Ian-C

Ian-C Registered

The white screen issue is becoming really annoying now. 1 Hour of practice, 30 Minutes of Quali and 5 minute warm up and then server goes to race and low and behold a white screen so i can't click drive to get on the track.

11. Maiki0767

Maiki0767 Registered

I have a problem with updates and betas. When I install the betas I can't see the preview of the skins of the vehicles that I have installed and I only see the "?" Sign. Any ideas what can happen or how to fix it. Thank you.

12. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Does it happen with all cars?
    If it happens with mod cars, it depends on if the modder has added the for the new ui necessary icon files already.

Maiki0767 and atomed like this.
  13. Ian-C

Ian-C Registered

That's because the mods need updates to be compatible with the new ui. Till then it replaces the missing graphics with the question mark.

Maiki0767 likes this.
  14. Christian Wolter

Christian Wolter Registered

I play in VR since it supports RF2 and I think RF2 is one of the best games in VR. I also had performance problems in VR in the beginning and had about the same computer as you. Your problem is your CPU not the GPU. The CPU is not optimized for VR (that really happened with the I7), upgrade your CPU and the game will make a huge leap, a new GPU would probably even increase your problem as the CPU will be overtaxed even more

pkelly likes this.
  15. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Getting rid of the ? is up to the individual mod creators. Some are doing it, some are waiting for dev tools, others have either no interest or have left the modding scene.

italics for an edit to incorporate a later post that correctly points out why some are still not done.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    Maiki0767 likes this.
  16. elbo

elbo Registered

still can't escape out of downloading content when joining a server with the new ui...this is terminally stupid...back to old ui

17. dazzer

dazzer Registered

If the truth is that the graphics have improved a lot, I saw what Monaco looks like, and it really looks great now, it just gives me the impression that when a wall, fence or cone connects to another object like the road or the grass looks very strange very perfect maybe haha, I know that maybe I am demanding in that area, but personally raceroom, according to my point of view it is more like RF2 in the graphic section but it has better results in this sense, the textures and interactions between objects are better accomplished.:oops:

Balazs Magyar likes this.
  18. Balazs Magyar

Balazs Magyar Registered

upload_2020-6-7_23-18-46.png

Exactly! The tracks and the static objects really need some serious ambient occlusion map baking!

19. dazzer

dazzer Registered

I think that making an AO map for such a large object would be more complex, I think there are modern technologies which allow them to be generated automatically, not perfectly, but more efficiently.

20. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

what does Ambient Occlusion do? For us non-believers...I mean non educated..I mean non-informed....well shoot...for those of us who don't know squat about graphics.... :)