Latest Build Update rFactor 2 - 1.1110 Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I didn't expect an unreal 4 switch but there have to have been other alternatives. Some way to better render lighting, the atmosphere, improved shaders, 3D grass possibilities, asphalt and trackside details one can create as modders do in Assetto, as an example. Something. From a cockpit perspective, raceroom racing experience does a better job too. I don't think five years from now, only "throwing" higher resolution textures at this game will have the same result as you referenced though that title is a bit of a stretch. Back in 2006, yes, it looked like a massive upgrade.

It's a bit hard and frustrating to try and leverage and develop content right now. It's a very uneven playing field.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2018
  2. LokiD

LokiD Registered

ive just been trying AMS, now that's not old, but geez runs like shit on my 1080. Old engine and struggles bad. rf2 is pretty smooth on my cpu. Pretty much uninstalled ams, rf2 only way to go!

3. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I think, the rendereing has made some significant improvements compared to what we had before and now we have somewhat consistent visual quality during all day times and all weather conditions. Sure, there is still room for improvements and there are several areas that need a second look (like rain spray or the raindrops) and it is obviously no secret that performance optimization still should be looked at, but all in all I am quite satisfied as a user with pretty mid/low end hardware. Adding and utilizing new shaders is ofcourse something that could and should be considered in the future, but for now it is ok and it actually makes fun to watch replays - atleast for me.

4. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Yeah I didn't expect something as drastict as a UE4 either, just an attempt to move away from the looks of gmotor
    It's always fun how rF2 fans get mad and take it literally when I compare it with GTR2 or when potential players move away of the game because "it looks like a PS2 game" :D but people taking everything literally on the internet is not really a surprise lol

5. FS7

FS7 Registered

GTR2 looks even better in a 1080p60fps video:

6. LokiD

LokiD Registered

still looks old man!

specsavers?

David Kolody likes this.
  7. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

How you can't see an improvement between DX9 and DX11 is beyond me and just throwing the GTR2 video in there just becaus you like how rF2 fans get mad is exactly what makes me wonder what intention you have. Are you discussing the last build update or are you just trying to make trouble and be a smartass? That last GTR2 video that FS7 shows it even more. Are people blind or have they even fired up rF2 since it moved to DX11? I don't know what you guys are seeing, but my trackside objects are casting shadows.

8. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

What would have been the point in drastically changing the graphics before optimising the engine,it would have probably bogged us all down and been unusable,I’m hopeful we haven’t seen the last of the graphics improvements or optimisations.

It seems development is incremental,and not just big patches once or twice a year,which is understandable for a small dev team,and it also seem lik constant development that way too.

9. joekart

joekart Registered

Yes, it looks the same: trees are green,sky is blue etc...
    Come on, stop the joke.
    Gtr2 looks clean but flat without shadows and light.

Filip and Guimengo like this.
  10. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Scalability is perfectly fine to want and it should be available. There are other current games that can be used as an example so it isn't exclusive to this title or engine, and make better use of what's available today.

It is easier to cater for allowing a higher top end than to always favor the ability to run your game at 1024x768 with graphics comparable to F1C (when everything is turned down). The gap at medium graphics is very noticeable, the gap at maximum graphics is evene more. More people will be upgrading PC components in a 5-7 year cycle than not, and with more and more having software tied to a minimum version of Windows, it shouldn't be asking too much for a $250 upgrade in that time period.

If the game had started at a higher level, then ok, but it was always playing catch up and it got to a point where new people entering the modding scene forewent this game for others - after other modders found themselves forced to move on. Performance with equivalent graphics has always been better for me and those in my circles in other platforms, so that was never an advantage or selling point.

Anyway, I've posted far more than usual and it's all moving away from this core update. Other modders have also voiced their concerns so there's no point to distract from was achieved with the latest build update.

PS: performance issues with gmotor2 and earlier titles while having functioning gm2.5 and other games is a sign of localized issues, not the game's fault.

11. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Or binaural recording, like with the virtual barbershop.

12. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I never said there was no improvements, the video I posted is about how the game looks close to past gen ones, if you cant stand that to me it's not the same as to you... well.. patience. Continue to take everything literally, it's fun at least.

13. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Registered

This is the second time you’ve mentioned folks take everything seriously on the Netz.
    Well, you know typing words as the only way of communication needs a very precise formulation or you are not perfectly understood. Information reduction it’s called, you know.
    So if your intentions don’t come across look at your end of the line.

David Kolody and hitm4k3r like this.
  14. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

The point is, that it doesn't look close to what you have posted, simply overlooking the fact that you are using a heavily modded version of GTR2 that isn't even getting close to what we have today in rF2. Shadows not being drawn at all or undercar shadows disappearing at night is not a matter of preference or how it looks to you, but simply of technichal aspects. And I am glad that we are past that point with rF2. If I am not supposed to take stuff literaly does that mean that I shouldn't take you serious? You have a very wierd approach to discussing. But anyway ... have fun with what you prefer.

Ace Pumpkin likes this.
  15. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Oh no worries, I have a lot of fun with rF2 which is the sim of choice to me :) I'm just not blind to say everything is perfect when it isn't. I dont care if you dont take me serious tho, you are free to do it, wont change anything in my life so go ahead.
    And yep, dark environment in rF2 is perfect after DX11, things like dark cloudy sky + rain with high reflection settings make the game look modern, they just need to put the same effort on day time clear weather, IMO

16. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I guess, noone with some common sense would say that the graphics in rF2 are perfect, and that's exactly what I wrote in my first comment about the topic. The question is if it makes any sense to make fun of the subject and compare it with GTR2, wich is obviously exxagerated, but to have a constructive discussion of how stuff can be improved. I am especialy thinking about better cloud rendering (with different cloud types), better shaders and similar stuff. But to say "it looks likes freaking ps2 game" and similar stuff will not bring us anywhere and causes more trouble than anything else.

Ace Pumpkin likes this.
  17. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I never said it looks like a PS2 game tho, I just understand why a potential player says that ;)

18. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

I really dont get it .....
    my pc ryzen 5 1600 Rx 580 4giga runs Automobilista super Smooth
    it is a mistake to uninstall AMS cause the racing experiene of all formula cars and boxer cup is pure orgasm
    reinstall AMS asap and try different graphical settings must be a bug or something that doesnt let you have 150 fps minimum
    Go go go .......!!!!!

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    Filip likes this.
  19. FS7

FS7 Registered

Imo the bold part depends on your hardware and in-game settings.

The GTR2 video I posted was recorded with a mid-range PC (i5 4460, 8GB RAM, 2GB GTX 750 ti), with shadows on high (trackside objects do cast shadows if you set shadows to max btw), everything else on max + Nvidia CP/Inspector settings, no graphical mods.
    When I ran rF2 DX11 with that PC I had to keep in-game settings on low/mid and PP off to get good framerates, graphics looked average at best, not that much better than rF1 or AMS imo.
    With my current PC (i5 4460, 16GB RAM, 6GB GTX 1060) I'm running rF2 with shadows on high, PP on medium, everything else on max and the game looks really good, not as good as PCars or Dirt Rally but considerably better than the DX9 version.

There have been improvements with optimization but imo that's still an issue in rF2, if you have a good PC the game looks beautiful but if don't than you have to settle for average graphics in order to keep a good framerate.

20. stonec

stonec Registered

Daytime clear weather does not have any SFX, real life in daytime is rather dull. Not much shadows or glare from the tarmac when the sun is straight above. You are probably comparing to other games that add these sort of fake effects even when they are not supposed to be present.