Latest Build Update rFactor 2 - 1.1110 Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@JimmyT I think it's in the mod sound files, not a user setting.

JimmyT likes this.
  2. Emery

Emery Registered

I believe so.

JimmyT likes this.
  3. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Thanks, will look there.

4. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

Simply put, the attempt to reduce the volume of opponent cars while in cockpit DOES NOT WORK. They need to back out this change until they can figure out how to do it. Even at 100% volume, now opponent cars (from S397 and mod content) are basically silent. It's rendered the sim near unusable with AI cars.

5. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

So open any ISI Assets->Maps folder and count the textures by yourself.
    Or other any game.

6. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Have you tried lowering all other volumes and leaving opponents at 100% then raising the Windows level ? I'm going to try this later because i also find that even at 100% i can barely hear Ai cars through my Rift headset .

7. stonec

stonec Registered

It does work very well at least with all latest official content like the GT3 cars. The whole point of the change I presume was to make a cockpit damping that is realistic (conforms with reality). Now the default is 30%, which means 70% quieter than outside. You didn't mention with what car it happens, but if you cannot hear any opponent sound, then that means external sounds of the mod you drive are mistakenly configured too quiet and would require a mod update.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Or fairly correctly configured for the way the game was, but it's a fair point :D

The few mods I've tried I've tended to reduce opponent volume because it was overpowering my own sound (and especially the sound of tyre scrub, which I find an important indicator when driving), so the new default will probably get things pretty close to right. This will depend a lot on the mod and on what the user wants.

A 'new default' like this will also tend to correct for the worst scenario, which would be tintops. Open wheelers will make the new default seem too low, but future mods (and patches) can correct for that by configuring the new parameter.

I think this is the way to do it, in the context of the current sound system setup, it's just changing existing content that didn't allow for the default. So results will vary, but this is a better way forward.

Emery likes this.
  9. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

It doesn't matter anyway , if I set it so I can hear the Ai all I hear is them blah ,blah, blah going full throttle every second constantly around the corner ! So now I have that plus them hitting the brake pedal every second . Brake , accelerate , brake, accelerate around every corner :(

10. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Agree but this makes me think, we might as well get a proper graphical update. There have been enough tech changes that old mods need updating anyway, which was the reason given for staying with the limited visuals. Very big missed opportunity.

11. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Agree, when they talked about updating graphics and shaders I thought they'd move away from the traditional gmotor looks, but didn't happen =/
    I mean... give this one a more detailed asphalt and it just looks too close to rF2 >_<

FS7 and 2ndLastJedi like this.
  12. Filip

Filip Registered

Finally I cleaned cbash, shaders and turned off steam and geforce overlay. Maybe its coincidence but it allowed me to up the gfx settings some more and have to say its not the same game anymore as before this performance improvements. It looks great as other modern sims. The biggest change was going to full circuit details. They are full of life and details now. The fun part is reloading each track to see the transformation

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The lighting in the dx11 build is totally different to that IMO. I noticed it the moment I first tried the dx11 beta and it's still a noticeable improvement on what we had previously. Looks and increasingly performance are becoming less of an issue than other parts of the game. IMO :D

14. LokiD

LokiD Registered

GTR2 close to rf2... wtf get out of here. Race 07 is newer than gtr2 and that looks old. cmon. guys.

Some people are just full of so much >…...

patchedupdemon likes this.
  15. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Registered

Yeah that comparison was a bit far fetched....

LokiD likes this.
  16. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

GTR 2 graphics look old
    isnt on par with RF2 graphics

LokiD likes this.
  17. filippu

filippu Registered

One sim is completed, free of bugs and has good performances with the hardware of its day. The other has none of that.
    The problem is, is that the sim that's completed isn't the one that has been WIP for the whole of the 2010's.

18. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

Nope, it doesn't work "very well", it works not at all. This includes S397 content, which includes the GT3s. None of the S397 content reacts properly on my hardware, and mods behave the same. And I know this is also true of others, so its a bug or design issue with the playing of sounds, and I actually think its the latter because there are enough of us with the problem, that I suspect there is consistency to the cause. The failure is also a bad one: inability to hear opponent cars whilst driving/racing, as opposed to volume being too loud in replay cameras. They've prioritized a fix for something that didn't matter to one that affects the primary use case.

As regards the design, its about the worst way possible to do it, to embed a hidden volume control within the mod, because it strips the end user of the ability to control it. It needs two sliders on the UI - volume of opponents in cockpit, and volume of opponents externally. But of course, they aren't willing to change the old UI with the new one coming. And worse, it also requires an update to every mod and their goal has allegedly been backward compatibility (though even for DX11, that hasn't really been the case). So unfortunately, bad design and bad execution in this case.

I'd not also I still hear the backfires from cars around the circuit at full volume whilst in the pits/paddock camera (but reduced engine sounds), and also the stationary cars continue to emit sounds. All sorts of sound bugs need working on, not to mention the 'legacy' engine startup sound.

19. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Completely different methodologies behind those titles,not every title will and should follow a certain doctrine

20. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

GTR2 free of bugs and being easy on the hardware of it's time? Might be worth to fire it up with the the recommended specs without using any enhancements or mods. Gl & hf :)

Ace Pumpkin likes this.