Lap Times per tracks?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by me you, Jan 15, 2018.

1. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

You should consider real road as well. It was frozen in the WFG competition. Probably not fully rubbered.

2. AMillward

AMillward Registered

I might add here that the lap I did a Mt Panorama was on a track that had done 23 laps at 15x RR :p

3. Amanda Santini

Amanda Santini Registered

The "fear" argument is a bust. Let's think about that.

- A professional driver who is good and is able to achieve world records has crashes planned by the team. He doesn't need to fear crashing his car because he's good, and because they have that planned for when it happens. Not only that, he doesn't need to fear for his life: he's using fire-proof clothing, a helmet, he's in a car with a cage, and he's on a track with numerous softeners and marshals to rescue him. The odds of him dying in an accident are very, very slim;

- Me on my bicycle going 60-70 Km/h on a slim country road where cars and trucks go way beyond that. I'm wearing a stupid plastic helmet, and other than that my only "protection" is my regular clothes which don't even cover all my body. Even if I crash into a wall, I'm dead. If I crash onto a vehicle, I'm triple dead and people can do meatballs with whatever they find of me on the road. There's G-Force, deafening wind, my tyres are slim and slippery, and chances of dying from the smallest mistake are ultra-high, there's not even a comparison between me dying and a GT driver dying. Did I have fear? No, absolutely not. I know the road, I know how my bike behaves in varying conditions, I'm completely used to the G-Forces experienced in those speeds, and I have no fear despite being a sack of meat ready to explode.

So no, G-Forces and fear are not factors that make real-world drivers go slower. They have thousands of laps on their backs, they're pretty safe inside their cars, they know the limits, and they're used to the forces since most have been driving since they were kids.

If weather conditions are the same as the usual real-life conditions, the simulation should not be 5s faster than real life. It should not, for example, give users a new set of tyres each time they leave the pits. That's insane. Also, track rubbering seems way faster than it should, it should take me around 12 hours to fully rubber in a track by myself; if the simulation allows for this to happen 5 or 10 times faster than real life, even if there's 15 people on the server, that's also a flaw in the simulation.

Give users a limited set of tires, replicate real-world conditions, and set the track to NOT have uniform grip all over (like give some oil spills or leaves/grass/pebbles in some corners), and we might see laps which are closer to real life.

Without this, we can only count on a few cars that perform closer to real life, like the 458 from AMGT3, and the OW F1 2017. But even with these cars I'm sure people will find flaws in the simulation that allow them to go faster.

Other than these, I can only think of Project Cars 2 having world records close to real life. GTE cars doing 2:15 on Spa, GT3 at 2:18 (2:17 without BoP, which is totally possible), and GT3 at around 2:00 on Silverstone.

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

the fear of dying or getting seriously injured compared next to fear of a sweaty palm on your thrustmaster steering wheel, that's the fear difference.

AMillward likes this.
  5. AMillward

AMillward Registered

But even in a sim the fear factor can take over. For instance, I did some hotlapping at Bathurst in AC with some 2000s F1 cars. They would have done the exit of Reid Park all the way to Skyline FLAT. Took me eight laps before I finally did becuase instinct was to back out slightly out of fear of hitting that concrete wall on the outside.

(The Bathurst on AC isn't that good, but point still stands)

Back to RF2, the Masta Kink in the Brabham: How much do you back out? Same for Eau Rouge on a modern version in various cars? The Corkscrew, most of the Nords etc.

All for the tiniest of time gains.

McKiernan likes this.
  6. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Fear is not a reason. When you overdrive in most cases you simply spin or miss an appex. Crashing usually occurs for not lifting when you know you already missed a turn.

7. AMillward

AMillward Registered

It is if you bottle out of a corner that can be taken flat without any consequence.

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

We'll agree to disagree then :) There's tons of differing factors beaten real life times and sim times.

9. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Expect this conversation to be brought up again with the laser scanning debate in about... Tuesday? :p

MarcG likes this.
  10. me you

me you Registered

Thanks amarildo- lots of good info there- I'll check out those mods
    Not to be underestimated- I hurt my neck 'crashing into a wall' the other night lol- Even braced for the 'impact' lol Funny how you get so into the game it almost makes you htink you are crashing-- being new- I'll learn to adjust to the fact it's a game but till then I'll be bracing and cramping, and twitching, and so on lol