Lag Running Server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BasJon, Jan 15, 2012.

1. BasJon

BasJon Registered

I need help please, I am running a megane server from my home, I have 100 mb net and a high spec machine check my specs in profile, what I notice is at the start of a race when everyone goes thrashing into turn 1 as always there are numerous pile ups, and I can see quite alot of lag, to explain I could be in pole and get around the first corner fine and get away I see behind me there is carnage and I can tell without even looking cause as its happening I start to get lag and slow downs, I have a few friends who race with me and they are also reporting to me the same issue, even on the 2nd lap if someone in the race makes contact I can feel it laggin myself even though I am in a totally different part of the track any help with the server settings would be greatly appreciated. I seem to remember a similar issue in rF when I use to league race, I know the server/ game reports all contacts in script file could this be causing the problem, and maybe is there a way of turning this feature off, my server is running a frame rate of 400fps, is this the good recommended number thanks for your help.

2. N0body Of The Goat

N0body Of The Goat Registered

Hi BasJon, I don't want to teach you to suck eggs, but just to check the basic essentials...

Have you done random speedtests on your internet connection at various times of the day(I use http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speed...on&utm_campaign=speedtest&utm_content=sidebar , but there are plenty of others), to find out the minimum guaranteed upload speed (your download speed is far less important, being the host) in kbps you have?

Then divide that minimum speed by the number of clients you want to host for, to find out how much data you can safely give each driver/spectator. At the very least, each clients needs a safe 64kbps, but more is better providing there is not a risk of overloading the server connection during the evenings and weekends (when most internet connections often fall away, because many people will be online).

Put the above safe figure in the "Max Data Per Client" entry of the multiplayer.ini you are using for the dedicated server.

As I said, you may have done all of this, just want to make sure! See you on the server :)

3. BasJon

BasJon Registered

Thanks for your input I always do checks on speedtest and pingtest.net for checks and my conn is always good, I know the issue has nothing to do with net lag I can see when the server has 30 players in, it uses approx 4 mb upload of my bandwidth which is fine as my current upload is set to 11 mb.

4. N0body Of The Goat

N0body Of The Goat Registered

Is "Max Data Per Client" set to 400 or below (very rough 11000/30 clients)?

By default, my internet connection was set to ISDN (64 kbps), but I editted my ini last night to 3500 download and 500 upload kpbs. If you have not altered the default 9999 value, you could potentially have two drivers join who have editted their setting to 10000 download and suddenly requirements are less than demand.

I do not know how RF servers work in detail, but the typical 4000kbps figure you see when you have 30 clients could perhaps be massively increased at the start of races when more car-on-car incidents are likely to happen?

5. BasJon

BasJon Registered

Ah I see what your saying no I have max data per client set to 128kbps which means full server of 30 players means it will
    use 3840 kbps of the 5000 kbps upload I have set for the server, the 400 figure to which I was saying is when I look at the server on my screen it shows 30 players, frame rate of server 400fps and data usage as follows 39% up and 8% down :)