NEED INFO Lag/jumping in multiplayer

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by davedontmind, Oct 31, 2013.

1. davedontmind

davedontmind Registered

My friend and I used to play lots of rF1 against each other (with a handful of AI thrown in), and we had loads of fun. But several years later, with rF2, better PCs and better internet connections, we have horrible lag issues, where the person who's not hosting the game sees all the other cars jumping around, and the host sees the guest jumping around.

I made a post about it a few weeks ago (here). Some suggestions were made, but until this week we didn't get chance to try them out.

However, we're still having problems. Here's a summary:

I hosted (my connection is 30Mb/s down, 2Mb/s up) a race at Silverstone with 5 AI. He experienced jumping.
    He hosted (his connection is 20Mb/s down, 8Mb/s up) a race at Portugal, with some AI, and when I joined, surprisingly it was good. No lag. Yay!
    But then he changed the track to Silverstone and we get lag again. Ditto at Lime Rock Park.

At this point we ran out of time, and went away both feeling rather frustrated.

We had no problem with rF1 with worse PCs and slower internet connections - why, with better technology, are we getting a much worse experience?

Game performance generally isn't a problem (we both get upwards of 70fps in game), it just seems to be the networking. We both made sure the server was configured with suitable values for our internet connections.

We made sure our routers are forwarding the following ports:
    44297-44497 TCP+UDP
    54297-54347 TCP+UDP
    64297 TCP+UDP

What can I do to try to find the cause of this lag problem?

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Average PC spec in 2005 versus 2013 has changed. We use that technology difference, there's no gain in terms of relative performance because of that. What you could do with rF1 you will NEVER be able to do in rF2, especially on the same machine. It is better more advanced technology, needing better more advanced technology to function.

What are the pc specs you're running on? Is the server on it's own machine, or is that running the client as well?

3. davedontmind

davedontmind Registered

I appreciate that, but both of us have decent machines. Mine is a brand new i7 4770k @3.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, with an AMD HD7990 graphics card, running off an SSD - it's no slouch. My friends isn't as up-to-date, but is pretty decent (I don't know the spec).

The server wasn't on its own machine - it was either on my client PC or my friends (we don't have any other computers to use).

There is no problem with the game itself (we can both run in single player with full detail and get fantastic frame rates), it just seems to be the networking. What can we do to reduce lag?

4. stonec

stonec Registered

Are you by any chance running on a wireless connection? rF2 launcher is known to cause issues for many people running wifi.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

How far away is your friend?

6. davedontmind

davedontmind Registered

No wireless connection my end, but I think my friend is using WiFi. What sort of problems are people with WiFi having?

How far away is my friend? Literally 1/4 mile physically.

7. stonec

stonec Registered

Well, my problems with jumping cars were exactly the same until I started closing the rF2 launcher after I had launched the game. After that it all stopped. The launcher does something funny with the internet connection, I assume to periodically check whether you are still logged in. For some reason this causes huge lag spikes, but only on WiFi connections it seems.

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Wireless connections just aren't as good for solid connections as wired connections. Even my dad found it useful for world of tanks.

A wireless connection can cause what you're describing. Perhaps test with a cable and see though before going and feeding a cable through a house though.

Sent using Tapatalk - excuse the short post, etc