Lack of reviews online

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stonec, Jul 17, 2015.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

well no I didn't ,you said "it has to many issues...for people to enjoy it", who isn't enjoying it exactly? That's what I was hoping you'd expand upon not twist round to thinking like a newbie.

I know many newbies who got into and are loving the game as well of course many of us experienced users since the dawn of RF2. To say it has "it has to many issues...for people to enjoy it" is simple wrong, otherwise this forum would be full of threads about not enjoying the sim, when it's blatantly clear that people are!

2. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

One thing I always emphasize to new folks trying it is the real road settings, followed by controller setup. Guess what? If you're new to the game and even more, new to the system - as in, no prior experience with rFactor 1 - then you are completely lost. Is there an accessible digital manual to explain all areas of the game? Is there a pop-up text box with a sentence on each parameter? Nope. Then expand that through a spectrum of users who are not computer literate or aren't able to follow logic, the issue is made worse and the end result is frustration and unfortunately immediate dismissal.

Ignoring a problem doesn't mean it doesn't exist and doesn't make it go away.

3. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Tool tips on mouseover would be good (and better if they can be turned off).
    Tool tips in the car setup pages would be really nice (because I don't know what I'm doing!!) :)

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

D.Painter firstly I do apologise if I've read you wrong so I hope you can expand on what you mean.

Yep no argument there but then there are newbies that find out quick enough and guess what? they like the Sim and continue to play it! But again it boils down to the age old argument, is RF2 more of a Sim than a Game? Sure it could be easier in places, but at what cost? Do we go back 5 years have an awesome Newbie Introductory level experience at the loss of Weather? Real Road?
    The Game (or Sim!) is what it is and has been this way since the start, if newbies find it tough then maybe that's just the way it is and they'll have to accept a steep learning curve, Kerbal Space Program is tough to get to grips with too, as is Elite: Dangerous, as is many many other games but if a person is dedicated and wants to learn then they will do so.

On that note I totally agree some Pop-Ups menu items in the UI would be ideal for newbies, as has been Wished for for ages now but I guess it's not something ISI can do with the current UI.

One thing to note, a game will never be Perfect...ever, even Sensible World Of Soccer had its flaws (BLASPHEMY!), I'm sure ISI are not glossing over everything and know what they are doing and will work to improve where need be...after all they've been around long enough to know.

5. Lgel

Lgel Registered

+1.

6. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

Lack of Reviews? Lack of Reviews? Every review of every simulator on the market mentions rFactor 2... It's the Yard Stick by which all sims are measured.

I think some of you are misunderstanding where you are... Look around, the reason people in this forum are so uptight about everything, is because we're the hardcore sim lovers, we don't want just any arcade game. We want reality, and looks come second to physics. The console kiddies are the big market and ISI has made it perfectly clear that it is not their aim to serve that market. I feel, and correct me if I'm wrong Tim and Company, but I feel that ISI is not in this for the money... They are in it for the love of the sport, I think specifically they love open wheels. Much to my chagrin... But they have to be admired for sticking to their principles.

Remember this is still Beta. We are not at 1.0... And though the number is close, I bet they don't go to 1.0 for some time, maybe a year or more?. They aren't out there hawking themselves to these paid "journalists", They aren't buying ads everywhere, they aren't discussing and comparing themselves with the competition, they're doing what they love, which is building the most realistic driving cars they possibly can and holding themselves to a high standard. That's why I always tell people to test their machine with ISI cars and Tracks, you can be sure that it's ready for public consumption if they release it. That doesn't mean they don't make mistakes, everyone does... But they put out the best driving cars I've ever felt. When it's done, it will be the best thing we've ever raced...

7. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

This would happen, if there wouldn`t be a free demo. I saw a lot of people in other forums wich complain about missing informations about rF2 and sadly but true, they simply gave up playing rF2 (Demo), after a short time. Again, as D.Painter wrote, as an unexperimented PC User and new to ISI Games, you`re maybe lost...wich is maybe related to the average age of Simracing Driver, too. Most of them are 40+, maybe 50+. Somebody, maybe coming from a Console, never had to thought about editing Files, trying different Versions of GFX Driver and playing on a Computer for the very first time...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2015
  8. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Back on topic there's no need for a review because it is not a game. All that is needed is a professional-looking website with some blurbs on functionality like dynamics etc and the cool tech stuff that ISI already has and how-to videos on BASIC, out of the box functionality with some VERY HIGH LEVEL mentions of KEY and CRITICAL considerations like graphics card drivers for those who are not gamers and ffb multipliers/clipping and possibly ONE or TWO other things because that's all there is that is manadatory. You can also have "behind the scenes" videos demonstrating how the software is used in different ways (something like use cases in software because this is software not a game).

I am currently working on a series of videos to take a user from day one and first race and ease into additional concepts along with reference videos for quick guides on things like running offline championships. Many of the videos are already done and just need to be organized and then replaced with higher quality videos as I am able to uodate them. If ISI used mine or others' (once they are high enough quality or made some themselves ; takes almost zero effort) that would be great because that is what other professional SOFTWARE (non game) companies do.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2015
  9. matf1

matf1 Registered

I am very pleased to hear this man.

I've been looking at this thread on and off over the last couple of days. To me, it's pretty clear that the majority of people in this thread are of a similar mindset and opinions.

Do you all realise your name is in the credits as you quit this sim?

We know it, they don't. Those of us that try to let others know are fanboys or fanatics or other choice F words.
    So who is they and who is it we want to join is in this love...

People that have no respect or love for 'simracing' and I don't use the term lightly here, not really.
    The have their interest and a product that serves it. Good on them!

One day after grounding themselves, they may grow to love whatever it is that bought each and every one of us here.
    Then they need to know it's time to try this rFactor 2 everyone has been raving about...

The guys that loves his exotics, the saturday afternoon racing fan. The neckbeard accountant who is a ninja programmer at night.
    The club racer, the karter, the F2000 Ex instructor.

Why does #askcrofty only know about playstation games?

Are you raving?
    Are you making videos?
    Skins?
    Are you contributing in any way at all?

Look at your name in the credits.

10. stonec

stonec Registered

Point me to those reviews then, because I can't find any. Without some sort of marketing, there is no multiplayer activity, and without that, there are no races. Some on these forums members seem content with driving against AI. I don't consider that racing. There needs to be a well alive multiplayer aspect, without that the sim is next to useless for me.

Beta stamp was taken away 2013, after that it's just referred to as an "evolving product", so there won't be a 1.0 with all likelihood (there wasn't one for rF1 either, they still updated the game last year).

11. stonec

stonec Registered

Yeah I've been looking at modding the UI a bit and it's not possible to have pop-up tooltips with currrent UI tech. Tech is still pretty much the same as in the first UI, just art was updated.

12. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

I agree, and in my opinion ISI's priorities are right, but i also hope that more people would be able to come to enjoy rF2's good sides. I think that word about rf2's good physics and other stuff could be spread more. If someone have just bought a wheel for pc and tries quickly to find the best sim out there they probaply end up buying assetto corsa or project cars, and i think that even from these people big part wants to get the sim with the best physics. If they find out that rf2 exist they probably watch that inside simracing video and doesn't consider it after that.

13. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Would be interesting to have a poll-result of what problem exactly is the reason for them to quit rF2, when assuming that they didn´t touch anything (besides controller).

14. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

Stonecs right something needs to be done. The multiplayer is important part of the game for many reasons, regardless of skill level or anything else and a vibrant multiplayer provides good PR for RF2 in itself.

I am no doom merchant but i will say this about the MP and it is the truth. The doctor has given up on it, the writing is on the wall, the last rites are being read, it's virtually all over. Anybody who cannot see that is blind. There is a minimum threshold of activity which is required to maintain a basic level of activity and that point got breached many months ago, just the blipping of the life support machine is what we hear now.

There is no single thing that will solve it, has to be co-ordinated effort in multiple depts. Perhaps a promotional push timed to coincide with Nascar could be wise, but probably it has to be something more than just that. Maybe giving longer free trial is good idea, to 21/28 days. Because many people will playa couple of times a week, 7 days it hardly gives people time to get into sim and get on top of a mod. Remember a lot of RF2 strong points only become really clear once your doing really good laps, so give people a chance to do that more they might appreciate it more.

One thing I note is, since I started with this sim a simply incredible number of players have all come to RF2, loved RF2, and virtually all left RF2 seemingly for good. Why not bulk mail all of them people who's online subs expired and give them 1 month free? Tonnes of serious players have just gone.

I think the fact is ISI's priorities as developers is probably different to ours as racers, sure in the sim is they are giving us the things we want, and things we would not get at all if the accountant was calling the shots. But still, we need people to race regardless of anything else. Now is the time to change gears, and place higher prority on the living and make a go of things as they presently exist. RF2 turning into white elephant :( None of the others sims are worth playing to me, but nobody is playing this one it is very disappointing and ironic!

15. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

I expect a clear cut simple answer to this more than anything, would be lack of activity online.

Why are all the best simracers playing iracing? I could never take a race very seriously on iracing, but all the best simracers do - very! And its not all down to the money! It's about competition.

16. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Nah nah, this is a bash rF2 thread discreetly disguised. Dude, this is a great chance to show how cool you are in the sim racing community by bashing it and calling as many people fanboys as much as possible.

17. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

but the question remains, why they don`t play online. Any idea? Speaking about my personal situation: I`m involved in my family untill evening. Earliest i could join an online race not before 21.00 CEST. Most league`s i know, starting (qualify) between 20.00 CEST and 20.30 CEST, wich is to early for myself. I don`t undestand this, just in the summertime, everything would moved a little bit in the late evening, but all leagues (i know!) doesn`t take care about this. There is at the moment a poll on RD, at wich time summer club races should start. More than 70% voted for 21.00 CEST and 22.00 CEST...

18. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

That is what all the cool kids do. :)

19. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

Sure... here ya go buddy... https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=rfactor+2

And rF1 never went 1.0? So what is this 1255 I've been using? Did someone else make that? Cuz that sure looks like a 1 to me... You do know how version numbers work, right?

Can't tell if trolling me or never played rF1?

20. Golanv

Golanv Registered

It is a game, no this is not a "bash rFactor2/ISI thread", and it needs users for certain features (Multiplayer, Modding) to have a change to be fully utilized.