Lack of reviews online

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stonec, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Emery

Emery Registered

LOL, who ever lets facts get in the way when they're advertising?

2. Golanv

Golanv Registered

The ones who can... and there was metioning of Hype (the third party generated advertising that does come across more convincing with actual facts.), which is really not a synonym for facts either.
    Wouldn't it be neat to be the first one though.

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

iRacing, Rieza, SMS going DX12 , I bet by end of year we hear rumbles from Kunos.

See what I don't get is this I am one of a million and 1 of 100,000s brought pCars and AC but rF2 is my sim of choice.

Funny how people say " support all sims"

So why don't ISI get that ?

If even 1/10th that brought pCars did the same as me and brought rF2, ISI could probably think about rF3. !

It sucks, why should I support other peoples sims when they won't support mine and call it cartoon y or some BS.

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Hey Tim....

What about drop the free demo.

Instead have a Full version trial with online for say a month for $xx ( you can easily set time limit ? )

If they decide to buy trial $ goes towards Life.

That will get them online in a real sim with real drivers.............. not noddys. lool ;)

Give them to me for a few weeks in F3-rookies ..........I will corrupt them for you. :p

5. matf1

matf1 Registered

I'm out there, sometimes to the detriment of myself or rF2(rabid fanboy) and have noticed the tide turning. I don't have all the facts or the time to gather them, but what I know is being accepted when explained.

Not for one second am I underestimating the effect that stock cars will have on the community.
    As much as the turn lefties are often ridiculed by other racing types, one this for me is clear. They take things very seriously, will be a huge asset for this community and I'd expect to see significant user base growth.

6. Golanv

Golanv Registered

I have never been a fan of left turn racing myself, but I do appreciate the ridiculous manner that Americans have a way to turn even the dullest sports exciting. You could watch a paint drying contest from TV and be exilerated if it's done in the "American" way.
    More to the point, I took a little time to learn all the rules and innards of the vehicles being used on top of the left turn racing (indy, NASCAR) a few months ago. Then I hopped into the newly updated Dallara and gave it a proper thrashing around the Indianapolis. Damn that was fun, and totally made me appreciate the insane speeds and how much life there actually is in the car when you go inches away from the wall while trying to fend off two cars at once. That grows some hairs on your testies... and turns a few of the ones already there grey awfully fast.

7. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

Probably more reviews cannot do any harm, stonecs google searchs says it all. I never knew nothing about any game or sim whatsoever but I come str8 to rf2 which is my first game, on looking back it was Empty Box videos that I could see was good info but it took a lot of time to separate the wheat from the chaff, games are like programming languages everybody talks a lot of crap when comparing them. reviews are only useful if they are truly high quality and unbiased and most of them are not. Maybe Durge has a good idea this time with a 'Hardcore/serious sim review' type thing.

The absurd join button outage, AC and pcars have all hit the MP hard amongst other things. It is really bad now, it is no blip it is a constant trend, I have been to livelier funerals. Somebody said the pick racing is of good quality on RF2 and it is - thats because the only people playing pretty much are the hardcore RF2 faithful who prefer to be in empty RF2 servers rather than busy pcars/iracing ones, and these guys all know how to race. If it was busier there would be a lot of mayhem again, if you ask me that would be a good problem to have.

But I expect the real problems are these.

We NEED multiple cars in different vehicle classes, or at least one or some classes. EB speaks the truth! He called it a 'salad cart menu' or something. And 'the main problem with rfactor is rfactor'! This is the truth of it! GT Cars are the obvious place to look, we NEED multiple cars in each class! And not only so, we need that and we need them to be up to ISI/top notch quality. After 3 years they still do not exist. I say this in a nice way, but I do not think BES or URD mods truly provide what is being looked for here. The ISI cars drive way better. If we could have 5 cars like the Celica GTO then we could be talking! But we don't.

What some people do is modify the ISI cars to match! They speed the Camaro up to the Vette, slow the GTR down to the Vette and create a harmonised class of multiple cars. I admire their determination but it is not really ideal solution is it? Either way, the fact that these things happen surely highlights the problem.

Sombody said on VirtualR that the ISI plan is to create one sample car in each class for others to use as a template for 3rd party cars. Regardless if that actualy is the plan, it has not happened after 3 years. Of course the Enduracers mod is on the way. I have massive hopes for this and feel the potential for this single mod to boost RF2 cannot be understated. I never played RF1 but it seems if they can replicate the RF1 success on RF2 then this one mod can be really game changing. If not, maybe ISI should look to put other cars in to match with the Camaro, Vette and GTR. I think this is serious issue.

And completely separately from ths, I do not want another fight about it but when serious problems happen, that is understandable, but something needs to be done about it more quickly either by means of hot fix or rollback. The join button fisco was a total disaster for the MP, unsurprisingly. The CPu spikes, just total craziness it is that that was the demo or first purchase of RF2 during this period has big chance of big problems. Basically if your shoving people out the door as fast as your letting them in the thing is not going anywhere, and if that is the case nothing else matters, absolutely nothing else matters we are wasting our time. Keeping builds stable and MP up and running all year will be as equally valualable as some good reveiws on google.

And RF2 seems to have quite a senior player base, and that is not a bad thing. They play off line a lot. In regards to new players coming in though, I would speculate that new players will be younger, and they will be more interested in MP than offline, and its important to have more activity in MP so as to give route into game. Many prob just see the empty servers and go back to their old sim. Racing on the best sim by yourself aint too cool. Hopefully it can get to a stage where a few open servers can that cover a few different mods that people want to drive. So important for ISI to do what is possible to improve the multiplayer as empty servers is instant turn off for new players.

One interesting exception to the rule is endurance racing which is very strong on RF2! It is ironic in a way that for pick up racing through to managed 1 hour races, the pickings are very slim. But if your a proper fruitcake that is into 24 hour races you are spoilt for choice! So just remember that Noel next time you start yakking! Situation for you is far more preferential than everybody else.

Despite everything, despite all the undeserved slaps ISI have inflicted upon our faces I STILL cannot understand why the MP is a quiet as it is. Its a bloody ghost town and I am sure it could be improved a lot with a little focus and effort from ISI. Can't exactly get no worse, the only way is up!

8. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

My take on multiplayer. At it's very core, MP is flawed because different hardware, extreme setups and unrealistic driving techniques. Add to this the complete lack of meaning in winning against random people that happen to want to drive the same vehicles at the same time. Having said that, many people just want to win regardless of who against and therefore choose even less meaningful pickup racing. rF2's excellent AI makes MP irrelevant for all but gentlemen racers who sincerely enjoying battling with a peer regardless who wins. rF1 is another problem. Easy track modding and incredible full grids like HistorX leave little to be desired by the vast majority of drivers. One BIG thing for me personally however where rF1 and SCE just kill my immersion is collision physics. Yuk. Once people understand how any 'game' mechanic can be implemented in rF2 and how, short of smashing into stuff and grinding for cars, any meaningful 'game' goal is based on improvement and the only limit to the challenge is your own potential, then people will flood in. But yeah, the young in general might have less interest in investment in skills, knowledge and experience and discipline but also these things are not about gaming but about skill so is not about entertainment which most are interested in...along with several bags of potato chips to sit on their fat @ss3s.

9. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Pretty much what I think.

10. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

What do you mean? The general consensus on this forum is doom and gloom.

11. matf1

matf1 Registered

Yet tonight, while chatting to Spinelli through steam we decided we wanted to go karting. A guy was already at Mountain Peak so we joined.
    It ended up being some guys from racing-leagues and we had 3 20 minutes races which were exciting, fierce, chaotic and a hell of a lot of fun.

It was a fixed setup server and everybody took a while to get up to speed, then the fast guys became very fast.

You know I love me some AI action, but tonight was special... not meaningless.

12. Jamie Shorting

Some people are afraid to get their asses handed to them by half the field in some random server, hence the unrealistic driving technique comment.

13. matf1

matf1 Registered

Yeah this forum!
    Outside of this forum, people that have not even looked at rF2 are looking. More so, there is growing dissatisfaction with the other offerings.

A lot of the opinions and impressions of people are quite old and at places like VR/BSIM/RD/Reddit etc there are some people fighting back. It felt a lot more desperate 2-3 months ago.

14. Jamie Shorting

Well that's a good thing then. Can't say I'm surprised that according to this forum nobody plays rF2.

15. hoover

hoover Registered

Ahem, that's more or less the format of the "ISI Linux please test" instance... maybe I picked the wrong car / track combo?

Cheers, Uwe

16. matf1

matf1 Registered

Wow, I practically live here and didn't know that!

17. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

He's majorly contradicting himself since he's praising Stock Car Extreme where the cars in each class are pretty much all similar. He has to come with better arguments.

rF2's content is fine.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2015
  18. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Nothing I said conflicts with your account of your karting experience. You had fun so good for you. Doesn't make it meaningful. Not everything needs to be meaningful. If you had a satisfying experience then that is fine. I went to a concert last night. Was it meaningful? Nope. Was it fun? Yep. Have I ever been to a meaningful concert? Yes. Do concerts have to be meaningful? No. Did I expect this concert to be meaningful? Nope. Do I regret going? Nope.

People often get bent out of shape and defensive when someone mentions something being pointless or meaningless. Too bad. Not everything had to be meaningful. For me, sim racing has to be meaningful because I have many other choices for general entertainment and I am also not a gamer. If straight entertainment is what you seek more power to ya ;)

19. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Most of SCE series are that, series. I think it's disappointing to have all F1 cars be equal in all eras (except Copersucar which is slightly worse) but the game is filled with real-life spec series and the tracks to race them. It is a package. CART Extreme is the one supreme mod with its varying performance per team that I can't wait to see pop up in its glory for rF2... but we still need top quality tracks.

20. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

To most people it doesn't actually matter whether they are real series or not unless they happen to follow those series in real-life, which most people don't. To most people SCE's content is just as random as rF2's.
    In simracing we have the luxury to drive any car/track combo we want and we should embrace that.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2015