Knockout qualifying for Mixed-Class racing?

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by Depco, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Depco

Depco Registered

Our League, VRC, is in our first series of Mixed-Class racing. We have decided that the LMP2 and GTE cars should qualify in separate session, or at least in different sections of the same qualification session.

My initial thought was to have the knockout qualification plugin make 2 separate sessions with the LMP2s using the first session and the GTEs using the second session. I setup the server with 2x 10 minute sessions and 43 cars in each session. However, when the first session ended, The only cars allowed to go into the second session were the ones who had put in a time in the first session.

I had put 20 Endurance pack AI on Zandvoort and of the 20 only about 10 were able to set a time. (AI trouble possibly) Only the 10 were moved forward to the second session. I repeated the attempt and 12 were able to put in a time. They, again, were the only drivers moved to the second session.

I decided to extend the time period for Qual to 20 minutes. As in the first attempt with 10 minutes only about 13 of the drivers was able to get a time on the clock. (Again, an AI issue where they pitted or stopped on track prevented many of them from actually completing a timed lap.)

My question then is if Knockout qualification can be used at all in my particular scenario? 2 qual sessions with a class using one or the other session. but not both. LMP2 in the first and then GTE in the second. At this point it appears that unless the GTE actually put in a time on the first session they will not be allowed into the second session.

Thanks for your attention in this matter.

2. Brent

Brent Registered

I've used knockout qualifying for our stockcar league. I've never tried to do what you are trying to do but I have an idea that might make this work. CustomPluginVariables.JSON

"TimedLapRequired":1,

This means a car must complete a timed lap to move onto the next session. Try setting this to 0. This might allow both classes of cars to move onto the 2nd qualifier even though one class didn't go on track. You may have to set "Total2Session2Scored":6, to the exact number of cars in the class going on track for the 2nd session.

Also, another thing to try, you might be able to override the number of vehicles scored by setting "FixedNumberScored":1, to 0. Perhaps this would ignore the fixed number and combine the lap times from the two sessions? Worth a shot.

For our stockcar league this is how we configured 2 qualifiers where the top 6 moved onto the 2nd round. I used comments // to describe each line
    {
    "KnockoutQualifying.dll":{
    " Enabled":1,
    "FixedNumberScored":1, //not sure if this can be set to 0?
    "NumQualSessions":2, // refer to "Total2" lines below
    "TimedLapRequired":1, //set to 0, may allow vehicles not making a timed lap move onto 2nd round
    "Total1Session1Minutes":0, //not used
    "Total1Session1Scored":43, //not used
    "Total2Session1Minutes":5, //first session is 5mins long
    "Total2Session1Scored":20, //first session scores 20 vehicles, max server limit
    "Total2Session2Minutes":5, //second session is 5mins long
    "Total2Session2Scored":6, //only top 6 from first session move on and are scored for 2nd round.
    "Total3Session1Minutes":0, //not used
    "Total3Session1Scored":43, //not used
    "Total3Session2Minutes":0, //not used
    "Total3Session2Scored":24, //not used
    "Total3Session3Minutes":0, //not used
    "Total3Session3Scored":12, //not used
    "Total4Session1Minutes":0, //not used
    "Total4Session1Scored":43, //not used
    "Total4Session2Minutes":0, //not used
    "Total4Session2Scored":36, //not used
    "Total4Session3Minutes":0,1 //not used
    "Total4Session3Scored":24, //not used
    "Total4Session4Minutes":0, //not used
    "Total4Session4Scored":12 //not used
    },

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  3. Depco

Depco Registered

I'll try the timed session to 0 tonight. thanks.

4. Depco

Depco Registered

I did some more testing last night. Changing the timed lap required to 0 did result in all cars making it to the second session. However, it appears that it doesn't save the times from the first session to the second session. So that option, while getting us part of the way to where we're trying to get, simply isn't going to work.

If anyone has any other options I'm all ears.

5. Brent

Brent Registered

I was afraid it would ignore the qualifying order from the first session.

It seems coding could be added to sort multi-class sessions but that likely is beyond my programming ability. I was going to try to take a look at the code but it appears it's gone from the old ISI dev corner. https://forum.studio-397.com/index....knockout-qualifying-plugin-source-code.52768/ I asked Chris on discord if he could update the link.

My thoughts are for now is two options, one to turn on private qualifying and have one session. The other is also one session with double the amount of time and allow one class to run the first half. Let them complete the lap they are on at the mid-point and then ask for those cars to pit and announce that the second class can go on track. It would be great if you could setup the code so race control posts messages to drivers to complete the lap they are on, and enter the pits or be DQed,