Keyboard Not Working

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by vhpd085, Oct 7, 2010.

1. vhpd085

vhpd085 Registered

Would anyone have any ideas why my keyboard will not work in rfactor when trying to create a player name or save a controller set up.

I've recently moved over to a new Win 7(64Bit) PC and have two new rFactor installs, one I've put in “C:\rFactor installs\rFactor” the other in “C:\Program Files(x86)\rFactor”

I've double checked the BIOS settings, tried a PS2 and USB keyboard, and made sure I'm running as Administrator. It works fine in an other app I open and I can edit the plr files no problem, but when it comes to naming a new player or to save a controller set up – nothing. Have I missed something?

(I seem to remember having this problem once, a hundred years ago, with GPL !!)

2. jgmonty

jgmonty Registered

Hi, sounds like a file(s) security issue i.e. File(s) are flagged as read-only. When you are using rfactor on Win7, make sure you have full admin access, not just using an admin account. If you are have problems running rfactor, right-click the rfactor.exe and select "Run As Administrator..."

In Vista, turing off UAC (user access control) usually does the trick. In Win7, I don't believe the UAC can be turned off completely, but there will be a slider to minimise the security level. As modifying the UAC effects your overall PC security, use with discretion (last resort)...

I have found that not using the default install path "c:\program files\..." is preferred. Personally, I only ever install system type applications to "c:\program files\...", certainly never games.

Hope this helps.

3. Jeffrey Rietveld

Jeffrey Rietveld Registered

It's a bug.

4. vhpd085

vhpd085 Registered

now the keyboard has started to work in one of my rFactor installs, but not the other :confused:

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I think there is probably something open behind rFactor back in Windows, maybe a security question and your keyboard is working on that. Try running rFactor in Window mode and see if you can see something else open.

6. vhpd085

vhpd085 Registered

Well I've been away working for three days and have come back to find everything working, so I'm none the wiser ! It seems to have fixed itself. But thanks very much everyone for all the help.