Karts realistic???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by patchedupdemon, Sep 18, 2017.

1. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

ive only ever been karting once but I'm going again next Monday night for 3hrs.
    I'm just wondering if karts really steer like they do in rl as they do here,or have I got some settings not right.
    Basically running the defaults settings that rf2 load with f1 karts,when I turn the wheel say 10-15 degrees hardly anything happens,then I go 1degree passed that and the kart just spin.
    What's a realistic degrees of rotation for the the steering,rf2 default is 180degs if I remember.
    Any help would be appreciated,as I want to whoop some ass on Monday night

chisco85 likes this.
  2. Comante

Comante Registered

Karts turn only when inner rear tire lose load, thus grip, karts work because steering geometry affect chassis weight distribution on all tires.
    Try to change steering settings and chassis bars to have more or less flex.
    And finally, remember that throttle + steering = spin , if controlled is called a turn, if not it's just a spin.

chisco85 and patchedupdemon like this.
  3. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Try lowering the caster quite a bit, it helps reduce the snap oversteer effect.

My brother used to have a 125cc go kart which we'd take out quite a bit to local kart tracks around Melbourne, so I've had quite a bit of seat time in a pretty fast kart... which is why I unfortunately find the rf2 karts a bit disappointing. The understeer and especially snap-oversteer tendency seems to be over exaggerated. Sure, in the real kart if you set it up wrong it would oversteer a lot - but the oversteer was comically easy to handle (you could quite easily do drifts up the entire straight). Very little understeer and extremely easy to control overseer is my experience with real life karts, but for some reason rf2 just doesn't give me the same feeling.

Pawel44, chisco85, Rui Santos and 3 others like this.
  4. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Ok thanks guys for the helpful insight.

5. kimbo

kimbo Registered

Karts in Automobilista are fantastic, very realistic.

Ernie and patchedupdemon like this.
  6. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I tried to give karts a chance back when they were released but it was far from the experience I have had irl. Maybe it was a setting issue but I really tired. I've only driven at rather small indoor circuits. Karts have been 270cc with limited maximum speed of 60km/h. Those are pretty easy to control though recently I've manage to spin them but they are far from snappy like in rf2 or at least the slides are mch more easier to control.

Pawel44 and patchedupdemon like this.
  7. Comante

Comante Registered

I think the RF2 karts are more sensitive to which track you try them on than the average car, In Dallas and Quebec, they will seem quite different, maybe is because they are so light. dunno. About the disappointment compared real life, I think the weight thus the various forces you can feel in real life make a lot of the disconnection. In a kart more than in a car, all those feeling you get being seated in it, are really missing. This may explain why RF2 karts look harder than real ones.

Nimugp and patchedupdemon like this.
  8. Kevin Ryan

Kevin Ryan Registered

Try play around with the ride height. It feels way more predictable if you have the rear ride height at least two clicks above the front.

patchedupdemon likes this.
  9. Stan

Stan Registered

Hi Patchedupdemon, I would suggest you to try this tips before giving up.
    For me, it really improved the kart feel and fun, I hope it will do the trick for you either!

Seat Straps - 0
    Sidepod Bars - Loose
    Ackerman - Minimum

Original thread here.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    chisco85, patchedupdemon and Comante like this.
  10. Comante

Comante Registered

I will try them too, I like karts but surely I would like to be able to master them better.

11. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

Nope.
    Karts IRL handle like RF2 cars, not RF2 karts.
    Driving physics are exactly the same in cars and karts, despite the major chassis differences.
    In other words, a kart drives in real life almost exactly how you would set up a car in RF2 to drive.
    If you drive the sim car smoothly then that's pretty much how you'd drive the kart in grippy conditions.
    Barring some differences mostly related to the lack of torque from the small 2-stroke racing engines, you can't compare the driving style of such an engine to a Camaro for example.
    If you drive the sim car like people drove the Macca at WFG comp, how I like to drive my RF2 cars to go fast, loose, steer with brake and throttle, then that's exactly how a kart drives IRL in slippery conditions.
    The thing is, because karts are very grippy, very direct and can be thrown around, you drive them IRL like you would want to drive a real racecar but cannot, because of the inevitable death and destruction.
    You can do it in RF2 though, you can set up the car to be real loose and real fast, just like a real kart on a dusty track.
    RF2 karts?
    TBH I only gave them a quick go.
    Didn't see anything I could relate to.
    It's obvious to me they were not created with realism in mind.
    The only really realistic thing about them are the engine sounds.

chisco85 likes this.
  12. Nobalong

Nobalong Registered

Old thread but I hope you guys get this notification. I race karts IRL and have for 16 years....here are the settings I’ve found to be the closest. I had lots of issues with snap oversteer using a g29/pedals, these seemed to help significantly.

The karts are KARTCUP by Studio397 in the workshop, and the track I was on was Dallas Karting Complex CCW (Long I think)

Wheel range lock at 300 degrees in the Logitech software.

Caster 6.0
    Front wheel track 43.00in
    Rear wheel track 45.3(ish)
    Steering ratio medium
    Ackerman minimum
    Tight side pods
    2 seat stays
    Front anti sway flat
    Rear anti sway vertical

Let me know if it helps