karts preview

Discussion in 'ISI cars and tracks' started by Javik, Mar 27, 2014.

1. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Weird, I actually thought the kart/track combination looked very good to me, very colorful and realistic tones with a lot of trackside objects that give it some volumetric feeling.

LOL, Mores as Kart Track...definitly makes sense :)

2. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

The drivers all look to be about 6 foot plus, but other than that....... YES. When are we going to get them? It is Friday. We have been good. C'mon.

3. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I'm 6'3 and I look like Donkey Kong or Bowser in a kart. Those drivers didn't look that crunched at all.

4. Galaga

Galaga Banned

and euroring :p

5. Derek Nye

Derek Nye Registered

6. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

+1

7. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Ah, F1 Outdoors near Boston. I showed-up there once at the end of the season and they let me hotlap until my arms fell off for a flat rate. They thought it would happen much sooner than it did...

What an awesome karting track, though. I hope someone makes it for rF2!!

8. Derek Nye

Derek Nye Registered

Yep its about 15 minutes away from me. I'm actually like two cities away from their indoor facility.

9. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Lucky guy--how often to do you partake?

10. Superdevil

Superdevil Registered

11. Derek Nye

Derek Nye Registered

Sadly, not often, haven't really had much time in recent years between the mods, client work, and helping my friend's bands out with their tech stuff and what not.

12. Superdevil

Superdevil Registered

Nice! I'm about 5 mins from their indoor place! (Quincy)

13. Derek Nye

Derek Nye Registered

Sorry, but ew lol bad memories of Quincy, though where I grew up isn't much better. Grew up in Brockton.

14. Superdevil

Superdevil Registered

That's ok, I have some bad memories of Brockton as well. (they used to destroy us every year in HS football! :mad:)

Back on topic...
    if you search Youtube for "F1 Boston Outdoors rFactor W.I.P.", you can find a track I started years ago and never finished. Might have to see if i can find the files and try to improve/finish it. I tried to post the link here about an hour ago, but doesn't look like it's going to happen.

15. Derek Nye

Derek Nye Registered

I think few people have good memories of Brockton lol

I always toyed with the idea of having it scaled to accommodate full sized cars. Always seemed like it'd be a perfect test track.

16. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

AC for example have much nicer replays. But then again, the problem is that I don't regard AC as a full blown sim compared to rF2. More of a simcade type 'o deal.
    Nice replays are nice (duh!) but when it comes from compromising the physics I'm not the least bit interested. If it feels like **** to drive why would anybody want to watch it afterwards?

I don't race sims to watch replays obviously. I race sims to race.

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

AC's replays look nice because it has that UN-Ultra sharp look. Everything looks nice and smoothened out, and almost blurred. It's a "soft" TV, almost movie experience look, that sadly it seems more poeple like and consider realistic. That typical modern video-game look. Not to mention the DOF blurs everything except the one point where it "wants" me to look.

RF2 on the other hand has a much, MUCH sharper look. It is wayyyy more immersive to me. In real life I can choose to look at anything I want. There is no "nice" smoothened out look, or DOF camera-effect stuff going on telling me where I am supposed to look while completely blinding me if I try looking at anything else.

The only limiting factor in real-life is your own eyesight which slowly gets blurrier and blurrier the further and further off in the distance you look. Hence probably why I feel much more immersed, as if I am actually at the track in RFactor based games (or anything without DOF).

Spectator mode in RFactor/RFactor 2 based sims on triple screens w/ multi-view on makes me feel like i'm actually "there" more than just about any other sim/racing game. So raw and realistic "feeling", even though the graphics themselves may not be the best, if that makes any sense.

18. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Nothing should be forced on the user for sure and they should indeed be toggable. I don't really care how it's done to be honest, it should have a photo mode of some sort that allows the user to choose how much DOF they want like AC and iRacing do. Being able to change the TOD of replays aswell is needed. Every time these type of posts spring up the same ancient attitudes appear time after time, all this duh if it affects the physics rubbish i don't want it. Yeah cause the guys that would work on stuff like this are the guys that do the physics. Also because someone wants more to the replays, it instantly means that they must play arcade games for these kind of features, rFactor is hardcore man, can't be modern!!!. I'm sure ISI themselves are well aware of the benefits of modernising the sim with stuff like this. Having the ability to do stuff like this means better screens and videos showing what rF2 can look like. The reason pCARS and AC are so hyped is mainly because of the media out there. Hardly anything from rF2 gets uploaded because it looks stupid most of the time. More people uploading good looking replays etc gets more interested and more people racing. I'm sure ISI if they could go back now, they would get the game much more visually polished first, it's hurt the game alot IMO. As a fan i hope it turns round.

AC is viral right now in terms of people uploading stuff, be it videos or screens. There are people out here that do enjoy the other side to sims but right now it is just stupidly frustrating and slow to work with and ancient. I can not say i have seen anything looking remotely realistic and immersive in rF2 like you via replays. Cars now visually are beginning to show nice fidelity in terms of suspension travel etc but it doesn't compare to iRacing or GT5 etc and make me think I'm watching a real car. Cameras just don't look convincing

I can never understand the mentality of good looking modern graphics and effects means a poor simulation. I'm not expecting pCARS levels btw, I personally am not a fan of this OTT almost Hot Pursuit look to their lighting and style. But they have some cool stuff with replays that i would kill for and have some cool individual graphic stuff i like and would love in rF2. It's very stylistic visually that doesn't make me think realistic but is striking, but i think after 30 mins or so i would bore easy. But the clouds, shaders and car models in particular are awesome there.

I would love to see some shots showing what you mean about rF2 looking real and immersive

Look at the latest Mak Corp shots, model looks ok i spose but the rest looks like something from a cartoon in terms of overall look, doesn't look modern whatsoever. These kart shots in thread here look like they come from a HD remake of TOCA in visual style. Look at the screen thread today and the F1 2014 mod shots from F1SR they look like a cartoon models again, the scale etc looks really weird and just overall a very cartooney look. The engine is making things look weird, things are sharp for sure but i don't see this realism and immersion. Driving is immersive and loud in terms of FFB for sure but not when watching back for me

For the record, In cockpit i find rF2 much more immersive than any other sim right now, not asking for crazy effects that change the cockpit feel, but just want something for replays. When i watch motorsport on TV i see motion blur and DOF from the camera shots. So when i watch a tv cam in sim it would be great to get the same experience.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2014
  19. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Maybe you just skimmed through my post (I can understand if you did as I tend to ramble on lol), but to answer your question the reason I find RF more realistic and immersive is because of what I explained in my post right before your reply, post #36...Everything looking uber-sharp and nothing having this overly smoothened-out + DOF look that so many modern games go for, to me, feels way more immersive and realistic when I compare it to human vision in real life actually standing in the crowd, or standing on a road, or the pits or wherever (and it should to you to, as in real life you can decide to focus and see whatever you want, nothing gets artificially smoothened out, and there is no DOF "effect" telling you where to look while effectively blinding you from everything else, the only blur we get similiar to DOF is the further and further away things get from us). However if you don't want this real-life look, but want a realistic "watching a video/looking at a photo" look then I can understand why you may not be a fan of the "real-life human vision" look.

Both are equally realistic. One is realistic if you want to feel like you are immersed in the game-world and actually there, and the other is more realistic if you want to feel like you are watching a video.

Regarding the whole uploading videos and pictures, marketing, and from that comes more exposure and interest because of the graphicsl of which the TV/photo-mode style graphics have a huge part regarding the great videos and pictures and overall look, etc. etc. etc....Sadly I agree with you 100000%. I find it very sad that sales matter so much on a competition of how great you can make something look in a picture or video. Imagine if the games you mentioned had the exact same graphics as RF2, but everything else about them stayed how they are, I doubt the sales would even be 75% of what they have achieved so far.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2014
  20. stonec

stonec Registered

I find rF2 graphics, if not superb, at least close to very good after the HDR automation update. The lighting looks very natural now. Regarding the cartoony looks of cars, I think it's not an rF2 graphic engine issue, but mostly lack of light reflection from car surface due to wrong material properties set. If you look at newer ISI content such as Roadster, you can see the chrome effect and light reflections on the cartexture. On older ISI content and most modded content you barely see any reflections at all from light source. Such issues of course have a big effect on marketing. As was said, marketing a game is 90% about graphics, sadly.