Just what is a 'Fast' monitor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davehenrie, Jul 29, 2017.

1. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

One of the posts I read recently talked about the need of a fast monitor to reduce controller lag. Just what brand, model, etc would be considered a fast monitor? I'm currently using a 32 inch Sony TV,(60hz 1080p) I like the size but I can see, at times, that the computer is not completely refreshing the screen. During some turns, the screen looks smudged in places as the new terrain fills in.

2. Stan

Stan Registered

Hi davehenrie, a fast monitor is 1ms, the problem with tv is that they usually add a lot of lag because of the post processing that improve the image quality before drawing it...

3. Comante

Comante Registered

AOC and other producers make monitors with a 1ms response time and 144hz refresh rate .. they are quite affordable in the 24" dimension.

Stan likes this.
  4. peterchen

peterchen Registered

What is meant is the refresh rate,
    Normal monitors and TV´s have 60Hz, what is not much. There are plenty of monitors that have a refresh rate of 120 or 144 Hz.
    Go with that.

5. stonec

stonec Registered

There is both input (controller) lag, lag from grey-to-grey transition time of pixels and lag from the refresh rate. All those three add up. Main problem with TV's is the first one usually. I can live with 60 Hz, but I've driven on TV's where the input lag is so horrible that it adds close to 0.1 seconds of delay. One way to test input lag is to run a reaction benchmark like this, without input lag the reaction time shouldn't be significantly above 200 ms.

CamiloNino likes this.
  6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

lol well, I just woke up, but the fastest I could achieve was 206ms, the avg. was 266.

7. aguy0523

aguy0523 Registered

Ya, lol, I'm not sure if this is the best way to test monitor speed. Seems to test how fast someone can click that mouse. I'm getting low 200ms a lot.

8. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

So with 120 and 144hz monitors what happens if you use vsync and can't keep to 120 or 144 fps? Is that harder to keep to than a 60hz monitor with vsync on?

9. Emery

Emery Registered

display input lag - The best TVs have 12 mS while the best monitors have 1 mS... <15 mS is good enough for 60 Hz refresh rate and most TVs are around 30 mS <ugh>. Read the gaming TV reviews if you want to find a suitable TV to use at 60 Hz.

refresh rate - 60 Hz TVs vs. up to 144 Hz monitors or 90 Hz VR... for video games, human eye likes 90+ Hz. 120 & 240 Hz TVs use image interpolation, which increases display lag, to get that high refresh. There are a couple TVs out there that have real 120 Hz refresh in their "computer" or "gaming" mode, but trying to verify which ones do is very difficult. Fast refresh rates make for smoother animation when going around hairpin corners.

pixel response - ghosty trails... you need <6 mS GTG. Great color usually comes at the cost of slower GTG response, so it's not hard to find 2 mS GTG monitors, but their color quality is usually lacking. GTG response and color quality are also tied to the panel type (TFT, TN, IPS, VA, etc).

I recommend trying the motion tests at https://www.blurbusters.com/

10. Richard729

Richard729 Registered

Most reviewer say that a 1ms TN monitor is only needed for very fast reaction games such as first person shooters - and often only expert gamers need them. TN screens have disadvantages such a lower contrast and poorer viewing angles.

The best gaming IPS monitors have 4ms response times. These are usually fine for most gamers and racing sims. IPS panels have good contrast and viewing angles, but they often have more backlight glow and bleed. They are more expensive than TN monitors.

TFT Central's
    reviews go into great detail about response time, lag, etc.
    Here's the review for the Asus ROG Swift PG279Q a 27inch 1440p IPS monitor with G-Sync.
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg279q.htm

This video compares two Asus 27inch 1440p gaming monitors - TN and IPS

Jon likes this.
  11. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Seems to grow to a nice colection of knowledge! Keep it up guys!