just purchased

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by kinser12, Jun 8, 2014.

1. kinser12

kinser12 Registered

I have have just purchased rFactor 2 and when I downloaded the 5.9 it worked for the demo I have Window XP 32 bit
    Should I purchase Window 7 or 8?

I then purchsed and upgraded to 6.6. Now it comes up that when I click on single player rFactor2 has encountered a problem and has to close.

Any help would be deeply appreciated

Thanks

2. canastos

canastos Registered

There should be no need to upgrade windows, it seems more likely an installation issue. Be sure you uninstalled demo before installing purchased version; then use Lite installer to reinstall your purchased sim. If this doesn't work, maybe would be neccesary to delete Userdata folder (backup it first, if you have any stored setups)

byyyyyyyyye

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Purchase Windows 8.1.

Don't believe all the crap about it not being like Windows 7 / worse than Win 7. That's all just complete crap that completely destroyed Win 8 / Win 8.1's reputation from a bunch of people who completely tore down Windows 8/8.1's reputation just because of 1 little "button" on the bottom left of the screen. What's worse is that you can easily get that "button" back and make Windows 8 / 8.1 look, and act exactly like Windows 7. I have Windows 8.1 and if you came over you would think you were using Windows 7, seriously.

Windows 8/8.1 is a much more efficient and faster OS than Windows 7. It uses way less resources. It takes better advantage of multi-core CPUs / multiple threads (which are just about any CPU nowadays). You need Windows 8/8.1 in order to use DirectX 11.1 and 11.2, let alone the upcoming DirectX 12 (which, like AMD's Mantle, will offer WAY less CPU overhead - word is that DirectX 12 began being developed before AMD's Mantle, and in fact Mantle was a response to DirectX 12, and a rushed to release one at that). Win 8 / 8.1 is also more secure than Win 7.

I don't understand how everyone can make all these reputation destroying YouTube videos, news articles, etc. about Windows 8 / 8.1 just because of one little button, which again, can be remedied within minutes. Apparently Microsoft are already on their way to replacing Win 8.1 with Win 9 within the next year or so because Win 8/8.1s reputation, and thus sales, where hit so bad because of all these ignorant and, let's be honest, extremely dense and lazy people who completely destroyed a pretty much great successor (in just about every area) to it's predecessor. Imagine Ferrari created a brand new car with better gas mileage, better performance, better brakes, better sound, better looks, better everything, but then Ferrari had to completely scrap the model just because they decided to put no door handles on the car, it used sensors or activation from a button on your key or something. I mean it's beyond words how ludicrous that would be. Forget all the performance enhancements, the better more beautiful looks, the better ergonomics, the better gas mileage, the even more seductive sound, nope, there aren't any door handles so who cares about everything else, Ferrari, please scrap this "piece of junk" and make a new product. I mean words cannot describe how ridiculous that would be.

Get Win 8.1. Make sure you get 8.1, don't do the whole "buy Win 8, and then after install, upgrade to 8.1" thing, that's a disaster waiting to happen. Go straight to 8.1 on a brand new clean PC/drive (preferably on an SSD), then clean out all the stupid apps stuff, and set it up to behave and look just like Windows 7 and you're golden.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2014
  4. peterchen

peterchen Registered

His problem have nothing to do with windows-version.

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Oops I thought he was just interested in getting a new Win OS. My mistake.

6. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

I think you're supposed to remove the demo vmod to get things to work after purchase. Just throwing ideas out there. It's probably answered in the FAQs though. :p

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Excuse me ..............

He asked. ?

If you answer his question
    you give reasons why.

:rolleyes: :confused:

8. Marc Coyles

Marc Coyles Registered

Your problem should be fixable. Uninstall and delete any current rF2 versions. Uninstall and do a clean install of latest version of your video card drivers, and check your game controller drivers are up to date. Now download and reinstall rF2, and try it again. Let us know how you get on. rF2 works fine on WinXP 32bit, and updating to any other version of the OS isn't a requirement as yet.

Taking the windows question separately... If you're going to upgrade OS, then 8.1 is the only sensible recommendation anyone can make, but, we have no idea of your PCs spec, and although it would likely fix the problem is akin to using a lump hammer to take the cap off a beer bottle.