Just bought rFactor 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jon, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Jon

Jon Registered

Hi guys, I tried to post this in the technical support thread but it said I have insufficient privedges.

I've just bought rFactor 2 and it's currently downloading, but I'm a bit confused as to which version to use. Has DX11 support been added to the main version, or do I need to sign into the beta program?

Just for the record, I only bought it for the 1966 Brabham and tracks (Monaco and Spa), and any other third-party vintage F1 content. Not interested in the modern cars or tracks, and more interested in performance than graphics.

Cheers
    Jon

Christopher Snow likes this.
  2. Acestumacher

Acestumacher Registered

Hello Jon,

DX9 will be the first option of the game to run straight out of the bag, DX11 can be selected by right clicking rFactor 2 in your steam games list, then selecting properties, the clicking "betas", then select from the drop down list, " v1108-dx11 open beta.

Ps if you are looking for some vintage F1 fun, we at F1SR race the F1 75 mod every tuesday night. check our site out at
    www.f1sr.co.uk

Jon and Christopher Snow like this.
  3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

All your wildest dreams are about to come true

4. bwana

bwana Registered

You will love the historic stuff , Brianza, Longford, Rouen to name. a few extra tracks worth looking into . Enjoy !!!!

Jon and Christopher Snow like this.
  5. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

Longford rocks, yes (it's from the 60's Tasman Series).

Six years ago I built a new PC (Core Duo/GTX 580) specifically because ISI was going to release rFactor 2--I bought a lifetime membership the first day, of course--and I still remember my first laps around old Spa in one of the F1 cars. That alone made it worth every penny for me.

Fast forward to today: That PC failed after moving it doing a Richard Burns Rally demo-shifted air cooler resulting in bent pins, etc., I couldn't get it fixed and for various reasons fell away from it all for a few years, but with the advent of VR, it's rFactor 2...old Spa, old Monaco and the 60's Formula cars...that finally got me to build another box. As it turned out I wasn't quite ready to go when S-397 released the VR beta--it's taken me almost two months more--but I'm typing this on the new PC now. If I can just get my internet connection to cooperate, I'll be buying rF2 again (and rF again) through Steam myself later tonight too.

SOOOOOOOooooooooo looking forward to seeing old Spa again, even if I have to watch a replay until I get the cockpit back in service.

----

Lol! I feel like I'm dusting off a Lotus 49 I just stumbled across lying under a tarp...in the back of my garage....

CS

Jon likes this.
  6. KernigWRC

KernigWRC Registered

I would say depends on what cars/tracks you want to use,
    basically the majority of the third party and official content looks a bit odd if not broken in DX11 but ok in DX9
    but all in all the game looks much better in DX11
    here is a list of official content that is updated to look best with DX11: https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/subscribe-to-the-latest-dx11-updated-content.55273/

in DX11 you cannot use plugins that display stuff on the screen wich is one of the biggest concern for many, here is more information about this: https://forum.studio-397.com/index....n-v0-96-32bit-64bit.46781/page-22#post-900319

of course VR is exclusive to DX11, if you have an HMD

Jon likes this.
  7. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

This should wet your appetite :)

8. Jon

Jon Registered

Ok thanks a lot for the input, hopefully I'll be able to test out both versions as I read in another post that not all the vintage content has been converted. Really looking forward to it, I've heard a lot of good things about the physics and historic content for rf2 which is why I got it.

9. Jon

Jon Registered

Yeah it's exactly footage like that! Can't wait :). The preview footage on Steam looked great as well, seeing a bunch of sixties F1 cars crashing into what appeared to be haystacks. Saw another video on YouTube with a replay at Monoco 66 with the view from a helicopter, complete with its propeller sound. Little details like that make the game more immersive, which are largely ignored in other sims.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    TheMattyOnline and Adrianstealth like this.
  10. BoskaPongen

BoskaPongen Registered

Hi! Me to new to rfactor2. Got it on Stream sale. I am interested in dx11 version only and wonder about the mods, tracks and cars.
    Do I need to find dx11 specific cars/tracks for it to work? Where to find them in that case?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  11. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

12. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

Most of the content will work with DX11 (unless they have used custom shaders), in which case it will likely crash.. however most content doesnt use this.

if a modder hasnt updated their content to DX11, you will likely see overly saturated (Glowing) objects / textures.. if the modder has corrected these, then it will look fine. I suspect most people will have updated the comments on their content to indicate if it has been tweaked for 11, however a lot of the original content was set using correct textures and didnt need updating anyway. I would download, try and see if your interested in a mod or track.

13. Jon

Jon Registered

Pity Spa 66 isn't on the list, I would have thought that would have been first to be converted since it's regarded as one of the best tracks ever. How frequently are they converting the tracks?

Also, is there an inbuilt timing and ranking system for each car/track combo? iRacing has this in its time trials, but AC used a third-party app called Rsr timings, which doesn't work well because it doesn't take into account track grip or slipstreaming (iRacing used identical track and weather conditions with no other cars), plus the app itself was annoying as well as ugly as it took up about a fifth of the screen.

14. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Spa 66 works good under DX 11.

Jon likes this.
  15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Spa 66 is being converted & should be a dx11 release soon

Re.timing pages etc -new UI coming soon will have or will accomadate a good timing all as far as I understand , just get use to rf2 as it is now & await the life changing updates in the near future

Jon likes this.
  16. Jon

Jon Registered

Excellent! :)

17. Jon

Jon Registered

Ok looking forward to that. I personally prefer racing humans but timings are nice to give you an indication of your performance and a target to beat.

Adrianstealth likes this.
  18. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Registered

I am also new to RF2, just got it yesterday.
    First impression is that there's not a lot of content.
    Is there only what is available at the steam workshop.
    I drive in VR.
    What other source are available paid or free?
    If a mod is not in the workshop, how do we install it?

BoskaPongen likes this.
  19. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I'm enjoying this -look at the live timings link ( I'm 5th at mo but going for 3rd to 4th later on!)

https://forum.studio-397.com/index....ife-classic-f2-league-round-6-mid-ohio.56319/

Might do race tomorrow too

Simply subscribe to
    Mid Ohio track in steam work shop
    (Search if you can not find )

& join the online server(there's only a few running mid Ohio so the one you want is easy to find ), the server will do rest for you

Let us know your lap time !
    You'll be put on list too

Jon likes this.
  20. peterchen

peterchen Registered

You have the stock content and the workshop-content. And there are other ressources like Racedepartment or lots of other sites.
    But not all of them are worth it. Look at internationalsimracing.com. To install, copy rfcmp-file in packages folder and install via launcher. If you run DX11 you will meet some tracks/mods that won´t work or forcing game to crash! So test one mod after the other!

Cote Dazur likes this.