Jump from 650 TI to GTX 960

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jimcarrel, Jul 26, 2015.

1. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

I'm always a couple of generations behind in the GPU area. Finally saved enough to replace my 2 gig 650 TI Boost with a EVGA GTX 960 4 gig.
    With the 650 and a mix of high and medium settings I could run 20 AI with an average of 80 to 90 FPS, with this new 960, same settings (and still generations behind) I can average 240 FPS. So its not the top of the line, but one might think I might be happy with the increase - and I am! Does it feel different one might ask? You're darn tootin' it feels different.

Moral of story is .... if your behind a "s l o w w" line of 20 AI, get a bigger piggy bank.

2. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

Glad to hear it Jim... With the new sli bits trick I'm back to 100fps with everything all the way up and it feel like a new game.

3. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

I've always been a little shy of SLI, I'm always running across posts with complaints. Back when I could afford two cards at once, I never even considered it. Was always spending money on bigger hard drives and more memory. It does seem that some of the newer drivers are at least "trying" to accommodate those who spend the extra money with them.

4. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

Well, I never buy two cards at once. I go sli because it's cheaper than upgrading to newer cards later. I buy a board with sli and then a fairly nice card, then later when my card isn't hacking it anymore, I buy a second one used.

5. whiplash

whiplash Registered

That's exactly what i've been thinking, it would be a lot cheaper for me to buy a used gtx760 and use SLI instead of upgrading (gtx970 or 980). And thanks to the infos supplied by other users, SLI seems to be scaling very well. Never had a SLI-system before, but since i switched to my 42" plasma, i need to run 1080p and some AA, which brings a single 760 to its limits on high to max settings.

6. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

7. whiplash

whiplash Registered

Sorry to hijack the thread, but can i combine my gainward 760 with a zotac or evga, without any problems? Could get a brandnew zotac 760 for less than 170 chf/eur.

8. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

yes, some will even say you can combine any card from a series, though I have not had a chance to check that. but brand does not matter so much. Just know that you will default down to your slowest clock. theoretically you can mix a GTX780 with a GTX770.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/sli/faq