Joining RF2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peyo Peev, May 31, 2017.

1. Peyo Peev

Peyo Peev Registered

Hello guys i just purchased my copy from Steam.

I have been sim-racing for several years now and i have gathered finally good equipment. I have used Iracing for a while (but due the high prices for me back then had to back off after the 3 months free period and now the US aimed policy stop me for using).

I have been racing AC since the early access and i can't lie i love the sim, but its just lacking competitive racing. I had to take one year off and still the field hasn't improved. RSR records are far from squeezed out, league racing have 1 to 2 solid racers each and its just hotlaping sim which gets really boring after a while.

So i'm moving to RF2 and probably for good. I'm asking for little help. Setuping up a sim takes time to make it perfect, since i never used rf2 or rf1 i was kinda lost in the demo.

So can you guys show me some links and tips for proper setup, some tricks, league racing, challenges and all the important online competitive stuff around here.

If this makes any difference i run Oculus VR and Trustmaster t300 (i took me a while to setup them properly on AC when i got them).

Thanks guys in advance, i hope i'm not making a mistake buying RF2 blindly and i will find serious racing here and keep improving :)

2. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Hi and welcome!
    For finding leagues, this would be a first step:
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?forums/online-racing-discussion.129/

For using VR you have to use the DX11 version of rF2 (still in Beta by now, but compatible with other versions).
    For that open steam, click library, right click on rfactor2, properties, beta.
    Select v1108-dx11-open beta.
    Subscribe to latest S397 DX11-content in workshop.

3. Brack Jabham

Brack Jabham Registered

There is a dedicated VR thread on these forums now, T300 should be easy setup I think, mostly plug and drive

Some simple improvements to multiplayer recently allow you to choose options as to only show servers with players in them, as previously AI counted as looking like real drivers. There are check boxes at the top of the page in multiplayer. Let us know what region you are in and we can suggest some good open leagues or servers

I would suggest using Discord (either the phone app or PC)or both as you will get better updates on pickup racing or leagues being announced. You can also better get you questions answered in real time. Maybe break these questions down into what are you next doing, ask a question there, get that bit sorted, then onto the next.

I have found this to be a helpful community, I would suggest more, but I am off to bed haha. I'll check back tomorrow

4. stonec

stonec Registered

That option to only show servers with players existed since day one and is just to remove the empty servers from the list. It still counts the AI from what I know, which sucks. I'm beginning to think it's a limitation with Steam matchmaker, because it surely ranks among the top annoying things with the current interface and it hasn't been changed in a year.

Hopefully the new UI will bring some changes to this. As it is now, I can only recommend multiplayer to league racers and those that race with a dedicated group of friends. Finding a random server with activity is not worth the effort.