Jeremy Miller tweets (Senior Programmer at ISI)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TIG_green, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Next build because it can't be that hard. Come on!! ;)

2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

The last build ( to me ) was so insignificant I'm not really bothered about any new builds,
    on the next builds release we'll have pages of updating problems followed by moaning.

....seriously hope I'm wrong though:eek:

3. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Moaning is the constant factor in development, when it stops, we presumably have the perfect product, which I don't think exists :)

4. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

It isn't as simple as you think. Just look at the number of games and apps that haven't gone 64bit yet. Most haven't because it isn't worth the effort. Many haven't because it is very difficult. Some apps are easy to port, many are not. I suspect a project like rF would be very tricky to port. But unlike 99% of the apps out there, rF would actually benefit from 64bit.

It kind of reminds me of people who put stickers on their car as if it will make their car faster. I saw a car the other day with a sticker that said "+10HP". I loved it. So many people would be happy if all their apps were 64bit so they could get a sticker or something.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2014
  5. TJones

TJones Registered

next build will be a good one!

6. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

mFactor
    ;)

7. TJones

TJones Registered

8. Thrindil

Thrindil Registered

Would rFactor 2 benefit from it because it uses more than 4GB of ram?
    And if so, do you think we can see performance improvements?
    I'm asking for your opinion because, if I'm not mistaken, you're a programmer, and I'm interested.

9. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

I know, I was being sarcastic. :p

10. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

This would be a better question for ISI. But I doubt performance would increase much unless there was a lot of changes made which would create two code bases to manage unless they dropped support for 32bit. The real benefit would be the ability to to address more memory. It has become a common problem and there is only one way to fix it.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yeah, you'd think there would be the potential for better performance by going full 64-bit but that's a pretty major undertaking. Doing enough to get it running in 64-bit, while still not just a case of flicking a switch (I think some people are underestimating it, as often happens), will at least allow people to get past the current limit.

I've been wondering for a while why the game can't work out if and when it's going to run out of memory and do something about it, so that's good news as well.

12. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Well if adding 64bit support is time consuming and not easy to implement, they shouldn't waste time on it. At least not now, there are more important things to add, fix, implement..

And also if there is not much of benefit, why bother with it.. Like you said Noel, there are many 'bigger' games and studios that didn't gone 64-bit where they probably could, and yet they are still doing fine.

13. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Jeremy did say it was a long way off, but I am sure there a lot of admins out there with crashing servers that would like 64bit put at the top of the list. Everyone has their own priorities. There are a bunch of outstanding things that you would think could be fixed, or at least fixed enough to get by until a real fix is issued (RealRoad acceleration, Filters in the MM, 125ms GetMod timeout, ect ect) with minimal effort but they aren't show stoppers. Running out of memory is a show stopper though.

14. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

"64 is more bits than anyone will ever need." - Me, Feb 7 2014

15. Axeslayer

Axeslayer Registered

On page 64 no less :D

16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Not sure if rf2 will be any different but with Iracing no difference between 32bit & 64bit mode

17. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

But it probably wasn't hitting the 4GB limit either.

18. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

This will be usefull like on big endurance grids. 4Gb is not much when theres like 45 cars on some heavy track.

19. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

You can ask that to every dev who had said similar. :) In the beginning, it wasn't needed. ISI tracks take more resources now than they did in 2009 when the software first had a design document.

20. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Right okay :) I just experienced it in rF1... but that was also an extreme, if you will situation with 100+ cars on some 20+km track :)