Jeremy Miller tweets (Senior Programmer at ISI)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TIG_green, Feb 21, 2013.

1. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

2. daz1975

daz1975 Registered

Looks amazing.

3. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Such a tease Tim. Looks rather good.

4. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Forget 'rather good'. It looks amazing!

5. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

6. Hectari

Hectari Registered

They started running the international layout in reverse for some bike races from last year. Cars and bikes both get to run reverse trackdays, but not sure about cars racing it in reverse.

Here's a vid of the reverse being run, trackside cameras give a much better sense of the track profile and elevation changes, on-boards don't do it justice:

Porsche GT3 Cup running reverse(wind noise warning!):

The 'oval':

Would love to see an ISI made version!

7. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

8. Bart S

Bart S Member

Wow this works in such a much better way IMHO.

9. speed1

speed1 Banned

I think it does, thing's just need to roll on. Don't know how many of the issues or bug's found actually otherwise would be present for the next 20 Build's or so because the in house tester group don't had have noticed it for whatever reason. It might be possible the next one will be one of the best ever Builds, who knows. I see a great chance by the current unstable already.

10. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Yep, I'm curious to see if the fact community tested the unstable build and reported back in few days helped the devs team or if they only discovered know bugs from the internal test team. It's probably more work from ISI (from Tim ?) to sort all those additionnal reports, so curious to see if they (and us) have a benefit from this move. Hope so! ;)

11. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

I think distributing builds this way, is more in releasing pressure of the community from developers and testers hands. Now both can work in more peaceful environment :) That way community will get approx 1-2 builds(i guess) in a month and complaining about lack of builds(content) will be less. Nobody will pull out his hair anymore if stable build release will be delayed :) Ok, exceptions is always here :) Also a sense of progress will be increased, although in reality, progress will be the same as now. Maybe a little quicker.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2013
  12. Bart S

Bart S Member

This works so much better if your a member of a league and in a championship. Normally what used to happen was during league mid season a new build would be released days before a serious league race, everybody would naturally install new build and it was expected the server to have the new build or we would have mismatches.
    If the new build came out days before the league race we where at a disadvantage of being unprepared for bugs or problems cause by new build and these would be discover during the race or even too close to the event to reorganise, it throws whole championships out based on game errors not driver skills. Also people took new build to be bug free and delete old build and install new build, loosing settings, setups plr ini files in the upgrade and once things where deleted they couldnt get them back. Yes I know we should always back up but many people still dont. Not to mention the fact that the content of the PLR file is always changing so you cant just drop the old one in where the new one is and hope things work right. This also is a pain to revert back to an old build and when you did often you would have some settings wrong somewhere and the car didnt feel the same.
    I for one have never had multiple copies of rfactor before in my 6 years running the game, I never understood how to set that up although I know now that I have its easy. Theres still confusing things where your settings get saved on the second copy in win7. Anyway now that I have 2 copies unstable and stable I'm all set for testing new unstable builds and running league races on stable builds and feel really great about the future of rfactor2. I think development will actually be alot faster and rfactor2 will always be a solid platform for racing.
    Well done ISI, IMHO this is a real positive step forward.

For anybody that runs a single copy of rfactor 2 its now time to learn how to run 2 copies. Anyboy willing to do a tutorial to keep things organised and maintainable?

13. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

They've both confirmed issues and found new ones. So I'd call that quite successful.

I have been quietly amused by how confusing some people found the process due to them not reading instructions. :D

14. sg333

sg333 Registered

People who can't follow the simplest of instructions probably aren't the ones you want to be testing unstable builds. :p

15. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Believe it or not, people who wander off the path from time to time not exactly knowing what to do, might uncover more than the guy who is running his laps like always ;)

16. speed1

speed1 Banned

You mean like unlocking any bonus in a game when doing something very special, which a normal human never would except and therefore, try to do. This guy would run straight forward in jump and run game while the special person would do special things and unlock any bonus btw.:D

17. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

The funny this is, he's so very right. For example, finding a bug that if you tap the mouse button on an area of the UI there are no buttons 30 times within 10 seconds causes a crash. Yes, stuff like that happens, and people find them. :) Like I said, it amused me, that's all. :)

18. speed1

speed1 Banned

19. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Good :) Thanks for the answer.

20. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Can a server be hosted with b339 for online issues testing?

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk