Jeremy Miller tweets (Senior Programmer at ISI)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TIG_green, Feb 21, 2013.

1. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

Well, Tim has said before in the forum that he will start the PR machine when they hit the sweet spot aka "GOLD".

Before that there is no need to really try to hype it up to the general market.

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Similar to my "Gold" Release State ready list (see below), even though this game is an on-going project and will be updated like iRacing as Tim says, it still needs to get to a point of "Gold" like status. Its no good saying "it is what it is" as there are Mod teams still waiting for it to be ready, in its current state its nearly there but not quite ready as far as I'm concerned.

1) Older content updated
    2) Final optimisations of graphics i.e: shadows from distance, flickering trees etc etc (of course this is forever ongoing but it still needs another one or two builds to get it "Gold" like)
    3) Proper 3-Screen support (only going off what others have written, works well for some not so well for others)
    4) Replay system nearer finalised
    5) Vmod creation system redesigned or amended greatly (see adding sounds/talent problems)
    6) Skin system completed (still buggy currently)
    7) Exclusion from MAS files for Cams, Sounds, AIW, Talent, VEH, Teams etc to make offline editing easier.....although I cant see this ever happening, I think we're stuck with what we've got as something would've changed during "Beta", which means two installs....one for Online and one for Offline editing to change one line in a CAM file but having to re package the MAS in a new MOD to call your own......PITA!

Those top six for me would signal "Gold" when completed, Sound needs a right overhaul and thats something that will take time (if ISI plan to do it), Silverstone can just be another content addition as they'll be coming along anyway.

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Yes, as I've said dozens of times (so this already has been explained in an informative fashion) that's exactly what I'll be doing (waiting for some things I want to be done, before I start to push it).

I can't tell you when people are going to consider rF2 properly released, and whether my starting to push it will make anybody think that. That's up to them.

4. 88mphTim

Gold doesn't exist really in an ongoing development like rF2, AC or iRacing.

If you want to say when rF2 is on DVD, perhaps? rF1 didn't reach gold (get final build on DVD) until 2008 (Nov 07 print), if that is your indicator, so that should help you understand the process length for rF1...

5. 88mphTim

I never mentioned gold really when saying that, but yes, when I feel the time is right, I'll start pushing.

If you would like an example of something we're missing...

We need to officially announce all our licenses, etc. If you compare to other products, they:
    - Announce they have a license
    - Announce they're working on it
    - Announce it's being worked on again, perhaps a development screen or preview video
    - Announce it's nearly ready
    - Announce a date, perhaps
    - Release it
    - Announce release
    - Organize events and competitions using content

That's something done with each piece of content via various outlets. It allows you to get the name of the content out multiple times, allows you to get the product name out multiple times. You're tapping that content for all it's worth. We're doing none of that really. Just the occasional in-development post of something, and that's usually for existing customers to see what's coming.

6. driftlegende94

driftlegende94 Registered

"rFactor 2 auto updates will be down while I do some clean up. I would except it back up in about 3 hours." 26.March

I hope it has something to do with the next update and that it will be released this week

7. 88mphTim

Nothing to do with that.

8. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Tim, what are the five most pressing areas you would like to see sorted before pushing the publicity machine button? Any detail on those areas would be great too.

9. 88mphTim

For me, individual components, and what they fix (mirrors on 60's cars, stuff like that), and some of the missing visuals like spray, etc. It's mostly visuals, but some ease of use issues (not forcing Renault installs to use other content, etc).

I have to also go by community feeling a little bit, too. Although I think I'm quite able to tell myself, you are my best indicator.

10. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

How about damage?

11. 88mphTim

I wasn't asked about your list. :)

12. Radar

Radar Registered

lol funny.. Ok Tim, I'll ask in my list..

Do you see Damage being worked on and released in future patches sometime soon (I'm guessing you will probably just reply 'yes' as it's probably something I would do also lol ) but, to be more specific, do you see this in the next, say 3-6 months ?

13. 88mphTim

I really don't know the timeline on that.

14. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

hows work going on a qualifying 2,3,4 that can actually be used for a race series Tim...im hoping now that Marussia is out an F1 style qualifying system will come soon:cool:

15. C3PO

C3PO Registered

I'd consider myself a target rF2 customer and today I loaded up Sebring with Enduracers SP2 in rF1 - it was superb. The graphics were to me much crisper and had better FPS. The lighting effects were yes less superior but apart from that rf1 was better in terms of graphics. So I thing sort the rear view mirrors, the triple screen issue and implement all that was in rf1 with current rF2 (real road etc...) and beyond and I think you are there . The rest will be sorted by third party add ons.

16. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Real road evolution rate needs to be changed, too. Even if real road is not yet finished, this accelerated rate is unpractical.
    Especially drying line - you can drive on slicks in heavy rain if you have several cars in front of you - less than 10 cars can mop the racing line clean and dry.

Just a community feeling, though :)

17. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

I know that it isn't good place for wishes, but it would be great to have fixed HDR (pink colours, exposure compensation issue, huge difference in lighting between hdr ON and OFF link)

Just my two cents ;)

18. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Indeed, been my wish too for a long time.

19. ifrans

ifrans Registered

Rfactor2 is already by far the greatest sim for me and the direction of isi by making as close to reality is all I ever wanted in a sim. Graphics not so important for me.

My biggest wish is at the moment that when you have a low speed crash, the car is not flying as if you have a high speed crash. This because if one person crash at the start of the race with one other guy, chances are quit big they take out 4 or 5 cars at the same time. Where normaly it would take out only 1 or 2 extra cars who happens to be on the wrong place at the wrong time.

I have a low spec computer, don't know if it's possible no idea how software works, but a lot of times I need to turn HDR on otherwise it's to dark on some circuits to see the turningpoints(daytime). I guess that's something on the modders side, but if it's not than my second wish would be to make it a bit brighter without HDR, because my computer can cope Rfactor2 barely.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2013
  20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

It's been accelerated since the beginning so can only presume they're waiting for some other tech (maybe completion of the tire model?) to be completed before unaccelerating the effect and finishing it properly. Well at least that's what I hope!