Jeremy Miller tweets (Senior Programmer at ISI)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TIG_green, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Johan Östman

Johan Östman Registered

Calm down Ronnie !

2. F1 2004

F1 2004 Registered

Stupid windows xp.

3. Nhra Racer

Nhra Racer Registered

Wow. Some people still use xp? lol That seems like the dark ages.

4. blakboks

blakboks Registered

What's more amazing is that there are enough people who still use XP and rF2 that warrants the cost of developing and testing for it. I'd have thought that there were so few people, that they'd actually be losing money to develop for it. :/

5. Nhra Racer

Nhra Racer Registered

Windows 7 is only like 30 bucks people. lol

6. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
    Steams Hardware surveys says that 7% of 'gamers' still use XP...
    how many of those are running a hardcore sim like rF2?
    MS will drop support for XP in apr 2014...
    if XP slows down rF2 dvp, ISI might launch a poll to see if it's really worth to spend their precious time on XP compatibility...
    On the other side, over 64% are running a 64bit OS...

where would you invest your time and money?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2013
  7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Well I think there are a lot of rF1/2 players who only play it - so unlike people who play a lot of different games/genres they don't need to keep up with the latest games (and DX11, for one). Plus rF2 only 'requires' 2GB of ram, so 3.3 (on 32 bit XP) is ok, and to reiterate if someone has 32-bit WinXP and can play rF2 to an acceptable standard (for them) there's no reason to change anything, no matter how cheap it is.

A 'hardcore sim' is special in this regard, especially as it can appeal to people who normally don't play games but have an interest in driving/racing. So it's quite possible that 7% is on the low side for rFactor.

And, again, we don't actually know how much time is spent specifically on XP issues so we can't sit here and whinge about delays because of it. We know releases are coming early in the week now, so if there were some issues (an issue?) reported with XP over the weekend they may have fixed it already then done a few other things to be tested this weekend for a release next week.

At the end of the day ISI is probably in the best position to judge what work they do, considering it's their livelihood.

8. LowRider

LowRider Registered

Absolutely not in any steampowered game:p

9. Nhra Racer

Nhra Racer Registered

probably be cheaper to buy those 6% a copy of windows 7 and be done with it! lmao

10. coops

coops Banned

ppl have to move with the times or get left behind. its 2013 not 2005 and RF2 not RF1. IMHO 7% XP users all that work is not worth it at all.

11. Minibull

Minibull Member

Simming communities are very different to mainstream users. I do a fair bit of flight simming, and what I encountered was a lot of older people who are not up to date and had no interest in keeping up. More concerned in building a full cockpit, and actually flying.
    Course people have to upgrade eventually, but if its still working, why change it.
    Plus cutting off those user could be seen as a bit of a dick move XD

12. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

What is worth is not for you to say.
    Not all depends on profit alone, you are talking of people using a product who maybe are not willing to change (or not are able to).
    Percentages are not dealing with actuall people, arrogance is not a virtue.

13. Nhra Racer

Nhra Racer Registered

As far as affording it, if your playing sim games surely you can afford to pick up a copy of windows 7!

14. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Hey, Im on W7X64, i7 6g, I couldn't be tho for various reasons?

15. Nhra Racer

Nhra Racer Registered

Wasn't talking about you specifically.

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

What work? What work? lol

Hey, if you know what work it entails and it's a lot, then fine. To me it just sounds like conjecture, and purely because one update got delayed because of an issue with XP. If something else stopped it this wouldn't even be discussed.

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

precisely, now everyone get over and deal with it and await Jeremy's next tweet :)

18. Max

Max Registered

Well it's been a week today since his last tweet(Monday holiday), so... Yeah, apparently the XP stopper is rather large, that a week goes by and no mention of anything, lol. Awesome.

Though, the rf2 twitter says "rFactor2 ‏@rFactor2 19mimutes ago (6/7/2013) 1:45 pm EST
    @RacingColour we currently have a 30 day refund policy right now, and a demo coming soon. No reason not to try it now tho."

So I guess it's a good thing there's no update as, I mean with millions of people buying rFactor that are on XP currently, if they released an update, none of them would be able to play, right? :p The lack of communication is not improved here. Thought people mentioned they were going to change that? Meh, prolly wrong. Keep up the great work...

Putting this here as to not get banned again... This is not a rant, nor a slight. I know you guys are trying, but a little more communication, would be great. I am sure it was mentioned a few times that the communication is lacking. And I am not demanding any answers either, as that is usually the 1st thing people respond with. So with that, I think I covered my bases..

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2013
  19. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Seems a shame that new builds are delayed over such issues.

20. vittorio

vittorio Registered

By "over such issues" you mean the Windows XP problem?

The System Requirements are:
    Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7
    (http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/rf2features/)

It would be a shame if they release the build knowing there is a big problem for customers using XP.