Jeremy Miller tweets (Senior Programmer at ISI)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TIG_green, Feb 21, 2013.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

lol yeah true :D
    having said that I havn't noticed any FPS loss at Mid Ohio with 40 cars, I'm capped to 60fps but it doesn't drop off any more than usual. Again the 14.4 drivers working wonders no doubt :)

2. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Mid Ohio is the best optimized track by far. 35 MB for textures and it looks top notch. Can't believe it. The optimized Silverstone has 330MB, Indy 500MB, Mills 180MB. Great job by VLM.

3. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

And Mills looks dog awful even compared to rF1 :p

4. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Jeremy Miller @jeremymmiller · Jun 19

Builds still in testing. No build this week for sure. I am hoping late next week IF we get these issues resolved soon.

5. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Record's stuck in groove <3...

6. nascar2112

nascar2112 Registered

Mid-Ohio and the VLM tracks are very nice, not putting them down, but they just arent at the quality level of the ISI tracks

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Not when you have a 6 core/12 thread CPU and 2 GTX 780 Tis in SLI (and in the next 6-9 months - 2 SLI'd GTX 880s/880 Tis) ;)

Oh wait!! RFactor 2 is only a dual threaded program, let alone 4, let alone 6, let alone 8 or higher :( . And rFactor 2 hardly makes proper use of multi-GPU setups especially in triple screen + multiview mode where SLI/Crossfire is "broken" even in rF1 (and rF1 based products such as Game Stock Car Extreme) let alone rF2 :(

Sorry ISI, I know those were cheap-shots on you, but it's only because I am passionate about your rFactor product and because there is so much power just sitting there on our PCs left untapped.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2014
  8. Minibull

Minibull Member

I remember seeing posts about this kind of thing from a few different dev teams, and from what I could grasp from it, it always revolved around how extremely hard it is to time things properly when things start getting spread out over many threads like you are asking. Everything has to be timed and synced together for as little lag as possible in this environment, which is why simulators seem to tend towards the single thread.
    That is my meagre understanding of it anyway, I'd love to see an actual dev comment on it properly as I can't find much on it.

9. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Joe Campana from ISI don't agree with you, this is what he writes (04-05-14, 08:27 PM):

This is nonsense, guys. Our multiGPU performance is as good, or better, than anyone and has been for a while. I have tested it extensively and consistently get 90% GPU util on both GPUs, AMD and nVidia. On my test systems, AC multiGPU does not work worth a spit. pCars is OK, iRacing works very well. Perhaps you need to add some SLI bits with inspector, although I thought the current profile handled this fine. So, do not generalize your specific HW problem to rF2 overall, because it's just not the case.

10. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

hehe, that will pucker a few anuses. Good post Ari.

11. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

hm all I can say is the default sli profile for rF2 without tweaking is not worth a cent.
    I know that because after changing to win7 x64 I did some tests without tweaked
    parameters.
    Result with multiview and SLI was around 30 fps with gpu utilization around 65 %.

So yes with tweaked SLI bits it is Ok.
    Default stock settings for SLI are sorry ISI "crap" since two years :p or longer.

I can use and ask the forum and most time I got a solution :) because this it is OK for me.
    Commercial standard user maybe can't but this is ISI's decision (or problem)

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I just did further tests with two 780 Tis and got lower framerates with 2 cards. This was on 1 monitor only.

My AMD cards always scaled just fine in ISI games, including old titles like GT Legends. Never had anything like negative scaling before with my AMD cards. Even when I had 3 HD 6950s in tri-fire in rF2 (the build around the time the GT2 Vette came out) I had some decent scaling.

P.S. If Joe Campana said that, then would he be able to provide use details about his settings (driver, cards, compatibility bits, etc. etc.)? That would be greatly appreciated.

Oh ya, and even in ISI games where I do get positive SLI scaling - once I enable the combination of triple screens and multiview, then the scaling completely breaks even in RF1, GSC, FT

13. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Yes, you said that more than once; we now all know you have two 780Tis cards.

Don't know what this is al about; you're bitching in advance.......you know now that the new builds and/or the x64 versions are crap or are just contemplating on it.......

Wait for it, than start bitching.

14. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

GPU utilization, in most cases, is fine (can confirm that ~90%). Perfomance gain was typically about 70% (tested 2x GTX680/770), which is not bad but could be better.
    The problem is with MultiView combined with HDR, which kills performance on SLI (I mean, it's like 50% of what you get with one card).

15. Frenz

Frenz Registered

Would someone post the recommended compatibility bits for 2-way SLI?

16. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

0x02402003

17. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Yes HDR kills SLI performance.
    Try SweetFX it has HDR option, not as good as rF2 but better then no HDR.

18. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

I use 0x00000000 with two way SLI. Did a short test to compare my setting with this value.

same conditions only enter the car in pit and hit strg + f

with 0x02402003 and without hdr 55 fps
    with 0x02402003 and with hdr 26 fps
    with 0x00000000 and without hdr 62 fps
    with 0x00000000 and with hdr 50 fps

the default sli bit I see in nvidia inspector is 0x02402005 but the fps performance with this value is also very poor.
    This confirm my statement the SLI stock setting (from where ever they come) are crap.

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk HD

19. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

FYI there are 32bit memory gains, for me at least, which allow more cars in less memory. But it does depend on the car(s), track(s). So regardless of whether it's in the next build like hoped, or a future one, you can still give it a go.

20. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I remember being told I'd never need more than 512k. :) World is a funny place :)