[WIP] Jaguar XJ13 1967

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by mantasisg, Nov 26, 2018.

1. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

What's the reason for that?

2. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Same as in post #118 really. I don't want to publish something in a workshop that has some major flaws still. Such as missing gauges, not properly working lights, rain stuff, optimization of model (LODs), some bonus colors (and maybe skins), various other details and feature related stuff that needs improving/added to get most of rF2...

atomed likes this.
  3. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

All right mate.
    Got it.

4. jimagn

jimagn Registered

The car is a gem. I love the feel and feedback. I tried a few laps at the recently updated Buenos Aires track and had a blast. Setup tweaks gave me a good boost in lap times, too. So the car responds well to changes.

5. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

@mantasisg not sure if you have already done this or not but can you please add a unique racing line identifier to the car? This way if I, or anyone else for that matter, is working on a track we can create a dedicated line for this car. I'll go back over the tracks I've worked on and update them with a new line for this car.

atomed, Corti and memoNo1 like this.
  6. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

@jimagn I hope those changes doesn't actually make this car much faster, but makes it much faster in your hands and in particular track. Otherwise it may be too fast if I overlooked something. However, pace of the car is mostly depending on friction, I suppose there shouldn't be anything drmatically altering it's pace from the default setup. But if it is not secret what made it much faster for you ?

@t0p5ecret I did not know about this feature before, will have to look at it, thanks.

memoNo1, t0p5ecret and Corti like this.
  7. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

All good mate, all you need to do is add DrivingLine="XJ13_FAST" to your talent file, or unique name you like and then if that line is present the cars will use it. If not they'll use the ones in the AIW.

8. jimagn

jimagn Registered

I didn't do much. I lowered the car about an inch and increased brake pedal force. Other than that I adjusted the camber asymmetrically and put in a little less fuel. The brake and height adjustment probably account for most of it, beyond my learning the track. Hope this helps.

9. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

I only increase the preload. Then it is only a matter of time before the grip and the brakes have the right temperature. The most important thing is the right technique on the pedals to properly manage the weight. A dream to drive this car to the limit .

jimagn likes this.
  10. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Still haven't driven rF2 for quite some time to test out above suggestions. Looking forward, just have to refresh interest in simracing I guess.

Meanwhile working on rendering:
    [​IMG]

Also pushing for this model, just so one day when it is more comfortable to mod for rF2 for blender guy it would be ready. W125, D-Type and E-Type are also in the list.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

That sounds world class! Thanks for your effort and time. Your Jaguar XJ13 Mod is my personally first choice. No joke. This car is a dream.

12. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

@mantasisg

I have not forgotten this beautiful mod. Is there an update for this historical beauty coming soon?

13. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Hey there, yes I was thinking about it. I would do slight step forward, but don't expect grand update. I was messing around with some physics tweaks, adding more colors... nothing very much. Certainly wouldn't be good for workshop yet, but a little link here in this forum could happen. Now that you ask perhaps, a little sooner. But how soon ? Few weeks ? A month ? I don't know. I am also rather busy with 1967 endurance cars mod. Good thing is that this car should have had been together with those cars in 1967, or at least in 1966, so a lot of things I get through I often can relatively quickly apply to XJ13.

svictor, pkelly, jimagn and 2 others like this.
  14. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Sounds good m8.
    Keep it on!

15. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

16. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Yeah!
    That's it what I'm talking about m8:).

vegaguy5555 and mantasisg like this.
  17. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Hello Mantas, my rig is finally finished! The car itself is very good. However, in the standard setup the brake distribution is adjusted to the very rear. That's why I had problems last time. It would make sense to change that :).
    Otherwise I hope that you will soon finish the cockpit completely.
    This darling is definitely worth it

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    Mauro and mantasisg like this.
  18. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Thank you, nice surprise. Nice smooth driving, rather smooth, I see you like left foot braking. A bit unfortunate spin at the end, got a bit distrcted by AI who almost lost control, should have pointed car more towards the inside and braked more in straight line, or delayed downshift :D

I don't know how soon it will be for me to finish this mod, I hope it happens sooner than later as well and I could share it in steam workshop then.

I will check out the braking bias again. I got similar feedback for a car from 1967 endurance. I will look at brake bias more carefully, but I think you guys underestimate additional braking power that comes from engine braking. Or maybe I underestimate it by it fitting my style of driving. I might push brake bias more forward for little more safety, although then fronts might lock up too soon, making car little bit slower and more understeery. Although more neutral brake balance with engine braking in account can overturn the car, as soon as downshifting too early, not blipping throttle enough, getting rear unloaded too much, or missing trailbraking. The car isn't as notoriously powerful for engine braking as it used to be, I have been taught some things abotu how that stuff works, but it is still in effect that matters. It should be easier for you to get handle of it as you use left foot for braking very much, as soon as rear end tries to move on braking, just give some throttle feathering at correct time and rear end stabilizes. But you are right, it probably should be safer setup for default setting.

jimagn and memoNo1 like this.
  19. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Thank you for the detailed feedback. Honestly Mantas, this mod taught me how to drive smoothly a lot better. That's why I appreciate this mod so much. I know I repeat myself, but please get this great car ready. it has become really good and definitely not for impatient hobby pilots :).

jimagn and mantasisg like this.
  20. Xzanman

Xzanman Registered

Did anything ever come of this?